Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
Rflcrx
Rflcrx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Minimize to tray?

Hey,

I searched the forums and the program but I didn't find any info about this: Is it possible to minimize calibre to the system tray? Is there a way/plugin?
Because my calibre runs all day I don't want it to take away so much taskbar space (because I don't have to use it often as it does everything on its own ).

Greetings
Rflcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rflcrx View Post
Is it possible to minimize calibre to the system tray?
Yes, Preferences - Look and Feel (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	systemtray.jpg
Views:	2684
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	59908  
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Rflcrx
Rflcrx began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Uh oh, I should have seen that..sorry & thanks!
Rflcrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #4
foolish777
foolish777 began at the beginning.

Device: none
hi..
you can minimize any windows to the system tray with the Actual Window Minimizer, for example.. it's very useful function..
foolish777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:39 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolish777 View Post
you can minimize any windows to the system tray with the Actual Window Minimizer, for example.. it's very useful function..
A very strange first post.

No sense in spamming us with third party applications when this function is clearly built into calibre as shown in post 2 above.
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
namsilat
namsilat began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am running Calibre under Windows 8. When Calibre is "minimized" to the tray, the program and ebook remains showing on the taskbar. I am not sure if this is by design, but I would have thought the whole reason behind minimizing to tray is to clear up taskbar.
namsilat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:24 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by namsilat View Post
I am running Calibre under Windows 8. When Calibre is "minimized" to the tray, the program and ebook remains showing on the taskbar. I am not sure if this is by design, but I would have thought the whole reason behind minimizing to tray is to clear up taskbar.
I don't have Windows 8 but minimize to tray refers to the calibre.exe GUI if you are reading an ebook this is opened using the ebook-viewer.exe and this does not minimize to tray.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by namsilat View Post
The purpose of the Notification area is for notifications and has been so since at least Windows XP. Its purpose is not to clear the Task Bar.

In most cases if an application actually allows one to put an icon in the Notification area (usually only those applications which generate useful notifications) it will only display notifications from the application (for example, mail delivery in a mail or messaging client) and give some basic Open (i.e. maximise), Exit, etc. right click options.

In the case of Calibre and Win 8, if the option checkbox referred to by Doctorohh is checked Calibre behaves similarly and delivers notifications (for example, if a conversion is underway). However, Calibre also offers if you left click the Calibre icon in the Notification area you will find that Calibre is then removed from the Task Bar and another click restores it (the right click menu offers the same called Restore).

So it would seem to me that Calibre's behaviour is correct.

Keep in mind also that Windows 8 manages the Task bar more efficiently in that as it fills to full it then stacks multiple instances of the same application on it and shrinks all applications on it so they fit. The Task bar also has much more real estate as the Quick Start area no longer exists (it is now redundant, all applications pinned on the Task bar quick start) and the Start label or Orb no longer exists (it is replaced by a pop up Start if the mouse is hovered there).

Last edited by AnotherCat; 02-11-2013 at 05:23 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote