Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Previously converted html no longer converts.

I updated Calibre last night and now am unable to convert my book from html.

I have a custom html template that I use, in fact the book in question was created from the template 2 months ago. All I changed was a single spelling error and now when I try to convert I get the following error:

Code:
calibre.ebooks.oeb.transforms.split.SplitError: Could not find reasonable point at which to split: EPUB-TaH.html Sub-tree size: 293 KB
Does anyone have a clue what's changed? I know I can increase the split size for now, but again, all that changed was a single character in the html file which converted fine 2 months ago.

I've tried adding <br /> before the chapters but Calibre doesn't appear to see them.

Here is how my chapters are set up currently:
Code:
<p class="chapter centered"><span class="centered">CHAPTER 1</p></span>
And I use this structure detection:
Code:
//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part|prologue|epilogue\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']
with this level 1 TOC xpath:
Code:
//h:p[re:test(@class, "chapter", "i")]
Thanks for any input you might have.

**Update**
Apparently increasing the split size isn't good enough. Doing so allows the conversion to be completed, but the result is a cover and 296 blank pages. I'm at a total loss here. I've been using Calibre for almost a year now with this template so I'm stuck at this point.

Last edited by chrisanthropic; 12-31-2011 at 09:59 AM. Reason: update with more info.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Make sure you dont have a self closed <title/> tag in your HTML.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Make sure you dont have a self closed <title/> tag in your HTML.
Just checked and verified. The blank pages only appear with the built in ebook reader. Opening it on my PRS650 just gives me an error.

I'm using Arch Linux so there is always the possibility that something isn't playing well with one of the dependencies...It's well past bedtime here and I need to work in a few hours. I'll try installing Calibre on a windows box tomorrow and see if I get the same results.

**Update**
I just checked and got the same results on a freshly installed Win7 machine.

Last edited by chrisanthropic; 12-31-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Try installing an older version of Calbre and see if the conversion works then. That might help track down if the issue is the document or a change in calibre.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Post a sample document that converts to something blank, that's the easiest way to tell what is going wrong, otherwise we're all just guessing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
chrisanthropic
Fiend

Thanks guys, after a bit of sleep and some coffee I found that my template was compromised and was missing bracket early in the document.

Thanks for helping out though, and as always, thanks for creating and maintaining Calibre - it's an amazing piece of software!