Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
netgeist
netgeist began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Lord of the Rings?

I've searched all over the 'net and in this forum but have had no luck finding out how to get the Lord of the Rings books onto my Nook. B&N sells the radio dramatization of the series and they sell the Hobbit ebook...but not the LotR ebooks in Nook format.

I've read that Harper Collins made epub versions available but it seems they've closed their store. So does anyone know where I can buy the official books (not altered transcripts)? If not, are they due for Nook release now they are out for the Kindle?

Thanks,

- netgeist
netgeist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:47 AM   #2
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
The B&N page appears to be screwed up. This: http://www.harpercollins.com/books/T...d+of+the+Rings appears to be the full text. And this: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...4750-_-Primary , according to the ISBN, is the same thing, despite the description.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I think Kobo sells it too. I just saw somebody post that they bought it there.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Booksonboard.com has the ADE EPUB version for $18.99. Also my local library has a copy albeit with a long wait so maybe you want to check your library too. If you aren't familiar with inkmesh.com, then I recommend it as a good tool for doing global book searches across various popular ebookstores.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #5
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
I have been looking for it too and I saw you can get it from the Phildelphia library as an epub via overdrive and it is suppose to be easy for out of state people to get a membership, $15 a year.

http://www.freelibrary.org/
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
netgeist

I'm still new to the Nook and trying to fiure out the various file formats. If I were to get the ADE EPUB version of the book, could I load it on my wife's Nook, too - or do I need to buy two copies?

- netgeist
Old 12-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You don't need to buy multiple copies. I read the same EPUB books on my Sony and my NC. You need to go to the Adobe website and download the free software called Adobe Digital Editions. Then open the software and register your computer with an Adobe Account ID. Then you'll need to connect your Nook via USB cable to your computer. It will show up as a device and prompt you to authorize it to your Adobe ID. All you have to do is authorize both Nooks to the same Adobe ID to share the same book files. Adobe lets you have 6 computers and 6 devices registered to the same account. Actually I think that the Booksonboard website that I mentioned earlier has the best instructions on how to setup Adobe Digital Editions and transfer books that I've seen. Just dig around on their website to find it. I would attach the URL for you but I'm typing this post on a mobile phone at the moment...
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I went to B&N's website and typed in Lord of the Rings and the first search entry was the nookbook version.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...d+of+the+rings
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I went to B&N's website and typed in Lord of the Rings and the first search entry was the nookbook version.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...d+of+the+rings
I think the confusion stems from the fact that the synopsis on that page reads:
Quote:
A BBC radio full-cast dramatisation of the first book in JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Brian Sibley's famous 1981 adaptation, starring Ian Holm and Michael Hordern, has been divided into three corresponding parts, with newly-recorded beginning and end narration by Ian Holm.
This, despite the fact that it appears to be the original text in e-book form.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
I think if you download a sample that should clarify what you're getting.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I didn't notice that the synopsis is incorrect. But it is the nookbook version. So netgeist, you can feel free to buy it as it really is the nookbook version. Also the price is correct at $18.99 for the nookbook version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
netgeist

It is the description that threw me. I never downloaded a sample because I wasn't at all interested in the Radio broadcast or any audiobooks...so it never would have occurred to me.

They might want to consider correcting that description.

- netgeist
Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I'm confused about what you'd get with the "Lord of the Rings" ebook on B&N. Is that the full series (all 3 books), or just the first? I mean the one that is $18.99 and has the weird "BBC radio" blurb associated with it.

You can order the individual books ("Fellowship," "Return of the King", and "Two towers") for Nook for $9.99 each. But if the "Lord of the Rings" one has all 3 for $18.99, obviously that would be the one to get. Is anyone absolutely sure that the $18.99 has all 3 books?
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
I'm confused about what you'd get with the "Lord of the Rings" ebook on B&N. Is that the full series (all 3 books), or just the first? I mean the one that is $18.99 and has the weird "BBC radio" blurb associated with it.

You can order the individual books ("Fellowship," "Return of the King", and "Two towers") for Nook for $9.99 each. But if the "Lord of the Rings" one has all 3 for $18.99, obviously that would be the one to get. Is anyone absolutely sure that the $18.99 has all 3 books?
Look at the sample and see what the table of contents has.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
Quistopher
Enthusiast
Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Quistopher has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor CM7 7.0.3
I'd rather use a library or find an ebook service similar to Netflix. Most books cost more then I want to pay and I am disappointed to see B&N selling some of the pre 1950 books, that doesn't seem right.
Quistopher is offline   Reply With Quote