Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #31
Tess89
Enthusiast
Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tess89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I played with it at my local B&N and decided to reserve one. Not 100% sold though. The one thing that concerns me is the seemingly narrow screen width. Is it just a trick of the eyes? Not planning on using it as a web browser at all but when I read ebooks I prefer more words per line without making the text super small. If you're used to reading on an iPhone it's probably no big deal, but I hate reading on an iPhone. I hope it's something I can get used to on the nook. I will say that text is much sharper on the color nook than the Ipad.
Tess89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #32
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
I prefer more words per line without making the text super small.
Is there an option to reduce margin space? I'm used to doing this on my Sony.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #33
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I got one. Great for PDF's.

I also bought the B&N case (the one with the big N (looks like inverted U ) on the front).
Very nice case I must say. Light and classy.

The CN is heavy but thats ok.

What a bargain. I'm happy as a clam (it's the cost that's got me), for this kind of quality.

Last edited by Mac Jones; 11-18-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 AM   #34
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I'm happy for everyone that has gotten their NOOKcolor, but frustrated that mine is still not shipping until Saturday, so I won't get it until Tuesday. I ordered 10/27 and there are tons of people on B&N's boards with much later dates than mine that at least have a tracking number.

My local store had demo and reserved units today, so i at least got to play with it :P
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:23 AM   #35
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Is there an option to reduce margin space? ...
I quickly fiddled with a Nook Color at the store. For EPub, they had three (I think) presets for margins and three presets for line spacing. I wish they had more: spacing between paragraphs, paragraph indent, ...

Quote:
... I'm used to doing this on my Sony. ...
Which one do you have? Is this in some settings on the reader (available through the GUI), or are you accomplishing it some other way?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM   #36
Mac Jones
Connoisseur
Mac Jones began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
From the limited pdf's i've tried the margin adjustment works well. (limited use)
Mac Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #37
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mare of Earth View Post
My NC shipped yesterday from New Jersey, and is scheduled to arrive on Friday, which is fair. Oddly enough, they shipped my screen protectors from the same warehouse, but sent them separately via USPS - they will arrive on Saturday.
Update: Interestingly enough, both packages are currently out touring the area on their respective trucks.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #38
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Is there an option to reduce margin space? I'm used to doing this on my Sony.
yes there is
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #39
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess89 View Post
I played with it at my local B&N and decided to reserve one. Not 100% sold though. The one thing that concerns me is the seemingly narrow screen width. Is it just a trick of the eyes? Not planning on using it as a web browser at all but when I read ebooks I prefer more words per line without making the text super small. If you're used to reading on an iPhone it's probably no big deal, but I hate reading on an iPhone. I hope it's something I can get used to on the nook. I will say that text is much sharper on the color nook than the Ipad.

under "Text" you get three options for line spacing and three options for margins. so there are options that will totall fill out the page without it being micro small.

Last edited by boswd; 11-19-2010 at 10:46 AM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #40
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Which one do you have? Is this in some settings on the reader (available through the GUI), or are you accomplishing it some other way?
It's within the same menu as selecting text size and zoom. The 900 just has one option to reduce margin space. I've never had an issue with too much white space remaining after selecting that option.

Great to know nook color has a few choices for this.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
It's within the same menu as selecting text size and zoom. The 900 just has one option to reduce margin space. I've never had an issue with too much white space remaining after selecting that option.

Is this for PDF documents only? I'm thinking about a 650 and it would be great if it you could control margins for EPub.

Thanks (and sorry for going off topic).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:55 AM   #42
SCION
Séduisant

It's for all formats. That was one of the features that made me return the 600 and get the 900 (had to go to Sony Style store to play with one).

No problem.

Edit: I'll add that I was watching a review of the 900 and the person pointed out the reduce margin feature in contrast to the 600.

Last edited by SCION; 11-19-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:03 PM   #43
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I'm happy for everyone that has gotten their NOOKcolor, but frustrated that mine is still not shipping until Saturday, so I won't get it until Tuesday. I ordered 10/27 and there are tons of people on B&N's boards with much later dates than mine that at least have a tracking number.

My local store had demo and reserved units today, so i at least got to play with it :P
Yah. I am here with you. I ordered on 10/30 and got an e-mail with a tracking number saying it was shipped 11/16. However, the tracking number is not even valid as of today. One of the B&N customer service rep told me they won't ship anything out until 11/19, one said the e-mail was erroneous, and one said USPS lost it. I am very happy that the NC is getting so many rave reviews. I am just hoping to get mine soon. I should have just ordered one from the store.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, nook, nook2, nookcolor