Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 08:53 AM   #61
Oldtribe
Oldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipseOldtribe can illuminate an eclipse

Device: CyBook Gen3
I have no problem leaving a trilogy. If the story stops interesting me, it's possible that I just stop reading it. I may come back some other day, some other year. I've been known to read just one part of a trilogy, or two, or even two and a half. If a story continues in another volume, I may or may not read it. I do not feel compelled to finish stories.

One of the reasons I liked the Sandman graphic novels was that the ending left many questions unanswered and story threads unraveled.
Oldtribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:53 AM   #62
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, Kindle 3
For me it depends on the author. I buy every Trudi Canavan, Robin Hobb and Brent Weeks book when it's published because they're my favourite authors and I just have to read their new work as soon as I know it's out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
And I just re-read the whole series or trilogy again whenever the next book comes out.
That's what I do as well

But for other authors, I wait and buy the complete trilogy (or series).

I'm still waiting for the final book of the Godslayer Chronicles by James Clemens. I devoured the first two books about three years ago, but I still don't know how it ends ! Pretty frustrating.

Quote:
I'm NOT a fan of the Wheel of Time at all. I'll leave it at that.
I read the first two books and started the third. After about 100 pages I threw all of them in the trash can .

Last edited by Iridal; 11-17-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Iridal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #63
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
First series that came to mind is King's Dark Tower series. The first book was published in 1982, but the short story it was based on was first published in 1978.

The Gunslinger (1982)
The Drawing of the Three (1987)
The Waste Lands (1991)
Wizard and Glass (1997)
Wolves of the Calla (2003)
Song of Susannah (2004)
The Dark Tower (2004)
The Wind Through the Keyhole (TBA)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dar...r_%28series%29

And when looking up the dates I find out there's another novel planned. Nice.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #64
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iridal View Post
For me it depends on the author. I buy every Trudi Canavan, Robin Hobb and Brent Weeks book when it's published because they're my favourite authors and I just have to read their new work as soon as I know it's out there.
Did you like the Tawny Man trilogy?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 PM   #65
Iridal
Mysteriarch
Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iridal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Did you like the Tawny Man trilogy?
Loved it ! I especially liked that it answered all of the questions I had after I finished the Assassin Trilogy. In my opinion, they're the best books she's written so far.
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #66
Iridal
Mysteriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
First series that came to mind is King's Dark Tower series. The first book was published in 1982, but the short story it was based on was first published in 1978.
That's one of the benefits of being young, I started reading the Dark Tower Series when he was about to publish the final book

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
And when looking up the dates I find out there's another novel planned. Nice.
Yep, the story is supposed to take place in between the fourth and fifth book. I've always found the transition between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla was a little abrupt, so I'm very excited about this addition to the series. Can't wait to read it

Last edited by Iridal; 11-17-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #67
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
That's one of the benefits of being young, I started reading the Dark Tower Series when he was about to publish the final book

Yep, the story is supposed to take place in between the fourth and fifth book. I can't wait to read it

Thankfully, I wasn't even around when the first couple of books were published (And didn't start reading them until the late 90s.) But still!
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:25 PM   #68
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Loved it ! I especially liked that it answered all of the questions I had after I finished the Assassin Trilogy. In my opinion, they're the best books she's written so far.
OK...
Spoiler:
You think it is normal that Fitz, a grown up man with quite a lot of worldly experience could return to Molly, a woman and a mother of 6!!! kids, after 16 years of not seeing each other. I mean, no telephone, no Internet, nothing. Zilch. 16 years when young people grow up, change, mature, get new habits, go through hormone invasion. Practically become new people. 16 years...just return...and happily ever after....*shudder*

I loved the first two trilogies and re-read them recently. Some of the best fantasy I have read, but after I read Tawny Man...I cannot take look at another book by Hobb without shuddering. One the worst fantasy series I have ever come across. Not Fantasy in fact. A soap opera. Romance genre. Which is probably fine for romance...16 years...yeah, fine, but I don't read romance, I was tricked into read it because it was labelled Fantasy!

Frankly speaking I am very surprised that you liked it. I was under the impression that you are sort of tough girl, who sizes well built males you meet on your run, i.g. alfa type Guess, I misjudged you
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 PM   #69
Wait_For_It
Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.Wait_For_It can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire
I read the books whenever I discover them. I do really enjoy quickly reading the whole trilogy/series if possible though.
Wait_For_It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:31 AM   #70
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
OK...
Don't start us on the Hobb topic again. Take it to the anti-Hobb thread we were all posting in My favorite author...hard to resist responding.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #71
Iridal
Mysteriarch

Quote:
OK...
Spoiler:
You think it is normal that Fitz, a grown up man with quite a lot of worldly experience could return to Molly, a woman and a mother of 6!!! kids, after 16 years of not seeing each other. I mean, no telephone, no Internet, nothing. Zilch. 16 years when young people grow up, change, mature, get new habits, go through hormone invasion. Practically become new people. 16 years...just return...and happily ever after....*shudder*

I loved the first two trilogies and re-read them recently. Some of the best fantasy I have read, but after I read Tawny Man...I cannot take look at another book by Hobb without shuddering. One the worst fantasy series I have ever come across. Not Fantasy in fact. A soap opera. Romance genre. Which is probably fine for romance...16 years...yeah, fine, but I don't read romance, I was tricked into read it because it was labelled Fantasy!

Frankly speaking I am very surprised that you liked it. I was under the impression that you are sort of tough girl, who sizes well built males you meet on your run, i.g. alfa type Guess, I misjudged you
I guess Fitz and Molly getting back together is a little far fetched, but it really didn't bother me. I think a lot of fans would have been dissapointed if it didn't happen.

I too tend to stay far away from the romance genre, but I like that the Tawny Man books are a combination of fantasy and love story (or stories). Even tough girls like a bit of romance every now and then

(although I don't know if checking out well built men qualifies me as 'tough' )

Quote:
Don't start us on the Hobb topic again. Take it to the anti-Hobb thread we were all posting in
That was fun wasn't it

Last edited by Iridal; 11-18-2010 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:21 AM   #72
strawhatbrat
strawhatbrat began at the beginning.

Device: nook and kindle
Yes!! But waiting sure is tough.
strawhatbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 03:43 AM   #73
nakmuay7
nakmuay7 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
i have no problems starting a trilogy as why buy all 3 books if the first is rubbish?

so yes i always read books before the final trilogy is out
nakmuay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #74
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
I read a few more WoT books and eventually stopped around book 6. Even with 4 books out at the time, I re-read them each time a new book came out to refresh my memory. I had to stop doing that and decided to wait until it finished. Little did I know how long it would be...
I was doing the same thing with Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. It was supposed to be a trilogy. Then after 3 books she took her characters from Jacobite Scotland to Colonial America and that was going to be another trilogy. The American "trilogy" is now 5 books in a multi-generational saga, and the sixth (possibly final?) is in the works.

Her books average 800 pages in hardcover, so while I re-read the first 4 every time a new one came out, I've stopped doing that. I buy the ebooks when they're discounted (yay for Random House), and read the whole mess when its done. I'm also a bit annoyed with her about her fan fiction meltdown on the web earlier this year, which colors my already waning interest.

I just don't have the energy or time to keep re-reading series when a new book comes out, so I won't commit to new series until they're done. I read Twilight after Breaking Dawn released, and Hunger Games in on my list to read now.

My one exception to "no series until finished rule" is romance series. If it is clear the books have characters that are "related" but each book is still standalone, I start it. If it is clear there is a suspense storyline arcing across several books, I won't commit unless there is a publishing schedule already detailed. Romance authors stick to their deadlines!
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #75
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I just don't have the energy or time to keep re-reading series when a new book comes out, so I won't commit to new series until they're done.
If it's a long time since I've read the earlier books in a series, I'll re-read the entire series. But more often, I'll just read the newest book.

For example, when Auel's sixth book will arrive in March, I'll not re-read the entire series, since I've just finished it all (a few months ago). But when I have the time, I'll reread all Gabaldon's books, because I've not read nr 7 yet (it's on my to-read list).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote