Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-19-2017, 01:22 PM   #26176
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Bleak House is in the third spot for me, bested by Great Expectations and
Our Mutual Friend.
I can't argue with any of those!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 05:10 PM   #26177
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I saw in the latest Ansible ...
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #26178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have not yet seen it, The Muppet Christmas Carol is very good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #26179
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you have not yet seen it, The Muppet Christmas Carol is very good.
Agreed - I still laugh out loud at the rat ...
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:07 AM   #26180
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Agreed - I still laugh out loud at the rat ...
Also gotta love Charles Gonzo Dickens.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 06:22 AM   #26181
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished "Trial Run" by Dick Francis. Randall Drew is sent to Moscow to investigate threats against a royally-connected candidate for the Moscow Olympic Games. His brief is vague, the opposition invisible and the stakes appallingly high. Not one of his best, but enjoyable enough, and an interesting look back at what life in the Soviet Union was like in the 1970s.
Old 07-20-2017, 08:15 AM   #26182
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I'm 23% into The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin. It's a very fascinating look into the subject by a person who should know what she's talking about: the author is not only Autistic, but she is a biologist with a PhD.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 01:57 PM   #26183
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
I'm 23% into The Autistic Brain by Temple Grandin. It's a very fascinating look into the subject by a person who should know what she's talking about: the author is not only Autistic, but she is a biologist with a PhD.
An amazing book from an amazing person. I gave it a solid 5 stars.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:29 AM   #26184
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Day After Never by Nathan Van Coops. The third in his time travel series.

It's an odd series for me, in that I don't really like the protagonist. But the ideas are interesting.
And again, interesting ideas, but a bit too hand-wavy, and I still don't really like the main character. I don't think I'll be continuing the series.

Then I start with by oldest bought unread book, The Spider by Norvell W. Page. But I swiftly abandoned it. Early 20th C crime pulp isn't for me.

Now onto The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:51 AM   #26185
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Bleak House is in the third spot for me, bested by Great Expectations and
Our Mutual Friend.
As it happens, I'm reading Bleak House now! It's not headed to be a favourite Dickens for me, but I will certainly finish it. Next up is Little Dorrit. I'm working my way through the complete collection.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:29 AM   #26186
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Finished up Carrie Fisher's Wishful Drinking last night. This novel contains her famous request that her obituary be "that no matter how I go, I want it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled by my own bra."

It was a bittersweet read knowing that she would eventually succumb to some of her demons. But it was lovely listening to her talk about her parents and, more than anything, how much she adored her daughter.

The fact that I listened to this in audiobook form, read by Fisher, probably added an additional star to my review.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #26187
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
As it happens, I'm reading Bleak House now! It's not headed to be a favourite Dickens for me, but I will certainly finish it. Next up is Little Dorrit. I'm working my way through the complete collection.
Good to hear that you plan to read it all. Much of his non-fiction is little-read and sadly unappreciated.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:51 PM   #26188
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished Erak's Ransom by John Flanagan. Enjoyed this even though it's not in chronological order. Why isn't it listed as #5 instead of #7? Many authors write things out of order and it's well publicized. Therefore, some suspense was removed as we know the future. Still, this was done nicely and I'll certainly continue with the series. Rated B [4 stars].

All this talk of reading everything we purchased has prompted me to next read a recent buy, No Good Deed by Auston Habershaw, third in the Saga of the Redeemed series.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #26189
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Now onto The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie.
A nice little mystery. Good to see Mrs Oliver again. It seeemed obvious what was going on in a general way, but fun to see the details revealed.

Next up: Interzone #215 by TTA Press Authors. Bought back in July 2008, so it's about time I read it!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #26190
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
A nice little mystery. Good to see Mrs Oliver again. It seeemed obvious what was going on in a general way, but fun to see the details revealed.
If you're reading her books in order, Ariadne Oliver appears in most of the late ones, so you'll be seeing a lot of her! She is of course Christie poking fun at herself.