Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
As an aside, how do folks generally manage upgrading from a previous patched firmware? By that I mean: I'd enabled a bunch of patches on 4.4.9344 (say), and now I want "the same" things enabled on 4.5.9587.

It is currently quite fiddly to manually migrate things between releases, so any tips would be appreciated.
I use Notepad++ (Windows) and it has a compare option. So I compare the previous version to the new version patch files. It means I can get my yes correct as well with any customizing I've done. It makes it much easier then trying to remember what I did last time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #17
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
As an aside, how do folks generally manage upgrading from a previous patched firmware? By that I mean: I'd enabled a bunch of patches on 4.4.9344 (say), and now I want "the same" things enabled on 4.5.9587.

It is currently quite fiddly to manually migrate things between releases, so any tips would be appreciated.
You can use this tool Kobo Patch GUI, for easy way enable/disable of patches.

Edit: after checking, it look like there is a bug, not all the patches are showing.

Last edited by oren64; 07-22-2017 at 05:34 PM.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:11 PM   #18
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:

I just use some grep and sed commands in bash.

Sent from my XT1527 using Tapatalk
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #19
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Quote:
I wrote a Perl script that takes as input a list of patch names to be activated, and does that.

The config file (named enabled_patches.conf) in my case is
Code:
Custom left & right margins
Custom page refresh options
Fix three KePub fullScreenReading bugs
Change dicthtml strings to micthtml
Fix page breaks bug
Default ePub monospace font (Courier)
Custom reading footer style
Dictionary frame size - beta8
Increase The Cover Size In Library
Increasing The View Details Container
New home screen increasing cover size
Reading stats/Author name cut when the series is showing bug fix
and the perl code is

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl

$^W = 1;
use strict;
use File::Copy qw(copy);
use Getopt::Long;

my $opt_conf = 'enabled_patches.conf';
my $opt_patchdir;
my $opt_help = 0;
my %patches;

GetOptions(
  "config-file|c=s" => \$opt_conf,
  "patch-dir|p=s"   => \$opt_patchdir,
  "help|h|?"        => \$opt_help
) || die ("Unknown option: $!");

if ($opt_help) {
  print "prepare-patch-files [-p <patch_dir>] [-c <config>]

Prepares the Kobo patcher .patch files according to the config file,
which defaults to 'enabled_patches.conf'.

Format of this files is the one patch name per line, empty lines are
ignored. All the patches listed in this file are activated, all others
are deactivated.

If the option 'patch-dir' is not given, the directory of patches is
searched in the current directory under the name N.N.NNNN_source.
";
  exit(0);
}

die ("config file not readable: $opt_conf") if (! -r $opt_conf);

open CONF, "<", $opt_conf || die("Cannot open $opt_conf: $!");
while (<CONF>) {
  s/\r?\n$//;
  next if (m/^\s*$/);
  $patches{$_} = 1;
}
close(CONF) || warn("Cannot close $opt_conf, continuing anyway: $!");

# search for patch dir
if (!defined($opt_patchdir)) {
  opendir my $dh, "." || die("Cannot open '.' for reading: $!");
  while (my $entry = readdir $dh) {
    if ($entry =~ m/^\d\.\d\.\d\d\d\d_source$/) {
      $opt_patchdir = $entry;
      print "found patch dir $opt_patchdir\n";
    }
  }
  # closedir not necessary, $dh goes out of scope so handle will be closed
}
die ("Cannot find patch directory!") if (!defined($opt_patchdir));

opendir my $pd, $opt_patchdir || die ("Cannot open $opt_patchdir: $!");

while (my $pfname = readdir $pd) {
  if ($pfname =~ m/^.*\.patch$/) {
    copy("$opt_patchdir/$pfname", "$opt_patchdir/$pfname.orig") || die ("Cannot make backup $opt_patchdir/$pfname.orig: $!");
    open (my $pfold, "<", "$opt_patchdir/$pfname.orig") || die ("Cannot open $opt_patchdir/$pfname.orig: $!");
    open (my $pfnew, ">", "$opt_patchdir/$pfname")      || die ("Cannot open $opt_patchdir/$pfname for writing: $!");
    my $enable_patch = 0;
    my $patch_name;
    while (my $l = <$pfold>) {
      # we cannot use chomp as it depends on $/ and might not chop of \r
      $l =~ s/\r?\n$//;
      if ($l =~ m/^patch_name = `(.*)`\s*$/) {
        $patch_name = $1;
        # default to be disabled
        $enable_patch = 0;
        if (defined($patches{$patch_name})) {
          $enable_patch = 1;
          # memorize that we found that patch
          $patches{$patch_name} = 0;
        }
        print $pfnew "$l\n";
      } elsif ($l =~ m/^patch_enable = `(.*)`\s*$/) {
        print $pfnew "patch_enable = `", ($enable_patch ? "yes" : "no"), "`\n";
        print(($enable_patch ? "Enabling" : "Disabling"), " patch $patch_name\n");
      } else {
        print $pfnew "$l\n";
      }
    }
    close $pfold || warn("Cannot close $pfname.orig: $!");
    close $pfnew || warn("Cannot close $pfname: $!");
  }
}
closedir($pd);

# check whether all patches to be enabled have been found
my $warning = "The following patches are listed in the config file
but haven't been found in any of the patches,
please check them!
  ";
my $do_warn = 0;
for my $k (keys %patches) {
  if ($patches{$k}) {
    # we have set all found patches to 0, so this one wasn't found
    $warning .= "  $k\n";
    $do_warn = 1;
  }
}
print $warning if ($do_warn);

print "All done.\n";

exit(0);
Hope that helps
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:05 AM   #20
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
Did you copy the patch to file libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch?
Oops, no. I copied to nickel.patch. It works now, thanks!
pickyaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:12 AM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

The way I keep track of the patches I enabled was to open all 4 patch files in Notepad++ and then do a search for `yes` across all 4 patch files. I copied and pasted the search results into another text file which is my starting point for the next patch version.

Possibly a bit primitive but quick and dirty works for me.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My way of doing it also makes sure that any third party patches are added in as when I compare and I don't see a patch I know is a third party patch, I add it in or wait for it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 AM   #23
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by oren64 View Post
You can use this tool Kobo Patch GUI, for easy way enable/disable of patches.

Edit: after checking, it look like there is a bug, not all the patches are showing.
I should probably depreciate this version of the tool. As you said, it's buggy...

I do actually have an updated version based on PyQT. Looking at my github repo, I even worked on it in march

Maybe I should dust it off and give it another once over.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #24
goenieg
goenieg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi,

I get this error when running the .sh on OS X

stat: cannot read file system information for '%Lp': No such file or directory
chmod: invalid mode: ‘File:’
Try 'chmod --help' for more information.

Complete log:

Created scratch directory /tmp/patch32lsb_m0m7SMyD
Checking 4.5.9587_source/kobo-update-4.5.9587.zip ...
Archive: 4.5.9587_source/kobo-update-4.5.9587.zip
testing: KoboRoot.tgz OK
No errors detected in 4.5.9587_source/kobo-update-4.5.9587.zip for the 1 file tested.
Extracting files to patch from 4.5.9587_source/kobo-update-4.5.9587.zip ...
x ./usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0
x ./usr/local/Kobo/nickel
x ./usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so
x ./usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
Patching ./usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so ...
Read 221912 bytes from input file '/tmp/patch32lsb_m0m7SMyD/original/./usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so'
Applied patch `Remove PDF map widget shown during panning`
Applied patch `Preserve PDF pan position across page turns`
Wrote 221912 bytes to output file '/tmp/patch32lsb_m0m7SMyD/patched/./usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so'
Cleaning up scratch directory /tmp/patch32lsb_m0m7SMyD
goenieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:46 PM   #25
goenieg

I did get in to run in my ubuntu vm (after chmod +x the patch32lsb-x86_64- file)

Last edited by goenieg; 07-24-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #26
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenieg View Post
Hi,

I get this error when running the .sh on OS X

I don't know about OS X so hopefully someone else can help out. Could you type
Code:
stat --help
on your system and post what it displays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goenieg View Post
I did get in to run in my ubuntu vm (after chmod +x the patch32lsb-x86_64- file)
That file has execute permissions as stored in the zip, they should have been restored when the zip was extracted.

I don't know what is going on, but if something is messed up with th permissions it might be prudent to check the KoboRoot.tgz file that the patching script creates before copying it to the ereader.
Code:
tar tvzf KoboRoot.tgz
I think the nickel executable must have execute permissions or else the patched device might not boot. (It doesn't matter about the other patched .so libraries.)
Code:
-rwxr-xr-x geoff/geoff  221912 2017-07-25 14:18 ./usr/local/Kobo/libadobe.so
-rwxr-xr-x geoff/geoff 12201036 2017-07-25 14:18 ./usr/local/Kobo/libnickel.so.1.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x geoff/geoff  7284428 2017-07-25 14:18 ./usr/local/Kobo/librmsdk.so.1.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x geoff/geoff  5787328 2017-07-25 14:18 ./usr/local/Kobo/nickel
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 PM   #27
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If the problem is an incompatible stat, then a workaround is to change the highlighted line in the 4.5.9587.sh scipt, from:
Code:
for F in $FILES_TO_PATCH; do
    echo "Patching $F ..."
    mkdir -p `dirname $NEW/$F`;
    $PATCH32LSB_BIN -p $SOURCE_DIR/`basename $F`.patch -i $OLD/$F -o $NEW/$F;
    chmod `$STAT $OLD/$F` $NEW/$F;
done
to:
Code:
for F in $FILES_TO_PATCH; do
    echo "Patching $F ..."
    mkdir -p `dirname $NEW/$F`;
    $PATCH32LSB_BIN -p $SOURCE_DIR/`basename $F`.patch -i $OLD/$F -o $NEW/$F;
    chmod 0755 $NEW/$F;
done
Edit: I might make this change in the next version anyway, since all the files we are patching have the same permissions.

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-24-2017 at 11:03 PM. Reason: I might make this change anyway, ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #28
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
@GeoffR
So, can zip (the program) change unix permissions of a file within an archive even from windows?
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #29
goenieg

Thank you very much Geoff,

output of stat --help

Code:
x:~ micha$ stat --help
Usage: stat [OPTION]... FILE...
Display file or file system status.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
  -L, --dereference     follow links
  -f, --file-system     display file system status instead of file status
  -c  --format=FORMAT   use the specified FORMAT instead of the default;
                          output a newline after each use of FORMAT
      --printf=FORMAT   like --format, but interpret backslash escapes,
                          and do not output a mandatory trailing newline;
                          if you want a newline, include \n in FORMAT
  -t, --terse           print the information in terse form
      --help     display this help and exit
      --version  output version information and exit

The valid format sequences for files (without --file-system):

%a   access rights in octal (note '#' and '0' printf flags)
  %A   access rights in human readable form
  %b   number of blocks allocated (see %B)
  %B   the size in bytes of each block reported by %b
  %C   SELinux security context string
  %d   device number in decimal
  %D   device number in hex
  %f   raw mode in hex
  %F   file type
  %g   group ID of owner
  %G   group name of owner
  %h   number of hard links
  %i   inode number
  %m   mount point
  %n   file name
  %N   quoted file name with dereference if symbolic link
  %o   optimal I/O transfer size hint
  %s   total size, in bytes
  %t   major device type in hex, for character/block device special files
  %T   minor device type in hex, for character/block device special files
  %u   user ID of owner
  %U   user name of owner
  %w   time of file birth, human-readable; - if unknown
  %W   time of file birth, seconds since Epoch; 0 if unknown
  %x   time of last access, human-readable
  %X   time of last access, seconds since Epoch
  %y   time of last data modification, human-readable
  %Y   time of last data modification, seconds since Epoch
  %z   time of last status change, human-readable
  %Z   time of last status change, seconds since Epoch

Valid format sequences for file systems:

%a   free blocks available to non-superuser
  %b   total data blocks in file system
  %c   total file nodes in file system
  %d   free file nodes in file system
  %f   free blocks in file system
  %i   file system ID in hex
  %l   maximum length of filenames
  %n   file name
  %s   block size (for faster transfers)
  %S   fundamental block size (for block counts)
  %t   file system type in hex
  %T   file system type in human readable form

NOTE: your shell may have its own version of stat, which usually supersedes
the version described here.  Please refer to your shell's documentation
for details about the options it supports.

GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/>
Report stat translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/>
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/stat>
or available locally via: info '(coreutils) stat invocation'

Last edited by goenieg; 07-25-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #30
goenieg

Just tested it, and I can confirm that "chmod 0755 $NEW/$F;" works for OS X Sierra.

Thanks!