Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #136
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
You do have to tell iTunes that it's an audiobook and to remember the playback position, though, on non-Audible files (get info > options)
The problem wasn't having the iPod remember my place per se. It was having the iPod remember my place after I'd reset it, updated the firmware, transferred songs or tried to go back to hear some passage I'd missed.

Relocating my place would have been relatively easy if the file were divided into chapters. But my copy of Underworld consisted of a single audio file.

Also: I make a point of not syncing to iTunes because I don't like the contents of my music players to be exact reflections of the music library on my laptop.

BTW: congratulations on owning the best-sounding iteration of the iPod. Gens 4 and 5.5 are considered to be the highest-fidelity iPods ever made -- 5.5 being the warmest of the entire series.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-19-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #137
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I can go forward or back by chapters by pressing on the 3:00 and 9:00 positions on the track wheel.

I'm glad to know that I've got a good version. So far, it's my favorite of all the iPods I've had. My husband has a 3rd gen he's fond of, and I don't suppose that sound quality matters as much with audiobooks as it does with music (which he doesn't play but I do)
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #138
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to have an iPod 3G as well. The fascinating thing about the design is that it has no moving parts -- the wheel is touch-controlled and is part of the sculpted surface, as are the recessed buttons. The flame-orange lights are another fun design feature: they look more like active cinders than LEDs (you absolutely know that Ive was thinking of fire and ice). It was also the first iPod that could record sound if you bothered to install Linux, but the quality was putrid. The iRiver iHP-140 was leagues better at that, as it had optical IO.

Pity about the 3G's sound, however. Not its strong suit. I still use my iHP-140 occasionally.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-19-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:52 PM   #139
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I was never interested in audiobooks. I preferred reading so I could have background music at the same time. Then I started trying to do at least 10,000 steps a day and my sister suggested the audiobook of "Four Fires" by Bryce Courtenay, narrated by Humphrey Bowers. It was incredible! He did the best voices... most characters were Aussie, but he also did Indian, Polish, British, and more. Now I am hooked on audiobooks while I pace around my backyard, tossing balls with the ChuckIt for my dog. The dog loves it, too.

If the weather is bad and I have to walk on the treadmill, I go back to reading an ebook with music on. I don't think I could concentrate on an audiobook while just staring at the same spot on the wall. For driving, I still prefer music.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #140
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Now I am hooked on audiobooks while I pace around my backyard, tossing balls with the ChuckIt for my dog. The dog loves it, too.
Does the dog find it difficult to follow the plot and play catch at the same time?
Old 04-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #141
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
I absolutely *hate* audio books - they drive me crazy. Takes 10x longer to get through them, as they seem to just drone at a snail's pace on and on and on. The one AB I could deal with was a self-help book by Louise Hay where she's reading it herself - that was tolerable for some reason. But anything else and I just haven't been able to get into it. Keith Richards "Life" was the last one I think I tried, and after that I swore off them for good, lol.
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #142
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Does the dog find it difficult to follow the plot and play catch at the same time?
:-) He loves getting about 3 times more outside time than he used to. And his only plot is, "ball... Ball...ball!" Unless a squirrel comes around and then the ball is forgotten.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 AM   #143
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #144
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuzer View Post
I absolutely *hate* audio books - they drive me crazy. Takes 10x longer to get through them, as they seem to just drone at a snail's pace on and on and on. The one AB I could deal with was a self-help book by Louise Hay where she's reading it herself - that was tolerable for some reason. But anything else and I just haven't been able to get into it. Keith Richards "Life" was the last one I think I tried, and after that I swore off them for good, lol.
To each their own ... I guess. Recently, I decided to start Trollope's The We Live Now (32 hours long!) , which I'd bought a while ago: "I'll just listen to a bit to see how it goes ..." Next thing I knew I was two hours into the book!

Unless you are visually impaired (with little choice), it's usually tedious to just sit and listen for long periods of time. Audiobooks are best combined with walking, public transportation, etc.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #145
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
We're all different. I find background music highly distracting. Music competes with reading for me, it's very hard to have both. I don't think I could just sit there and listen to an audiobook while doing nothing else. But there are plenty of other activities that don't compete with language processing.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #146
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
We're all different. I find background music highly distracting. Music competes with reading for me, it's very hard to have both.
I like background music while listening to audiobooks; usually the classical stuff
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #147
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Sometimes being in the middle of a good audiobook motivates me to do housework and/or run errands as an excuse to listen more
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #148
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Sometimes being in the middle of a good audiobook motivates me to do housework
That was this past weekend for me: the spring cleaning bug hit while listening to Diana Gabaldon. Got all the windows in the house washed!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #149
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
That was this past weekend for me: the spring cleaning bug hit while listening to Diana Gabaldon. Got all the windows in the house washed!
If I get you an audio book would you clean my windows too??
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #150
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Normally, I hate audiobooks but I decided to do a free trial with Audible. So I downloaded Sense and Sensibility this weekend and I have to say that I love it! I listen to it while driving or doing a chore. The narrator, Susannah Harker, is so good. She really makes each character sound different plus her reading is so lively without being over the top. I guess the advice here about having the right narrator was right on the money!
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote