Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Help! I think I broke it

I haven't used it for more than 5 minutes and the Opus hangs. I'm trying to press the reset button with a paperclip, but nothing happens. HELP!

EDIT: Crisis over.

I manually reset the device, but the screen didn't update or the Opus didn't reboot like I expected. Pressing the power button got it working again.

BTW. What's the soft reset button combination again?

Also when doing a manual reset do you need to be pressing in the reset button and the power button at the same time? Or is it Press reset button with paperclip, then press power button (should you hold it in for a few secs?)?

Had 2 crashes so far.

Last edited by Crusader; 11-23-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Soft reset is page-down + power for 10 seconds. Should do in most case.
Hard reset will shut down the cybook, but won't refesh the screen, so you need to switch it on again.

Quote:
Had 2 crashes so far.
My experience so far is you can have two crash in a row, then noting for a long while. I think some said that deactivating auto power off helped.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-24-2009 at 03:02 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 03:22 AM   #3
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. The soft-reset didn't seem to work for the crashes I had. I've now turned the auto power off setting off so I'll see how it goes.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Weird. Are you using an sd card ? Soft reset won't work then, the cybook reboots, but crash.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #5
Crusader
Space Cadet

No, no SD card. I pressed the power and page back button combo for more than 10 secs but nothing happened.
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
No, no SD card. I pressed the power and page back button combo for more than 10 secs but nothing happened.
It's the same for mine. It freezes randomly all the time and the key combo reset doesn't work.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Crusader
Space Cadet

At the very least Bookeen could have put the Reset hole on the outside of the device. At least that would make life a bit easer
Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard

Mmm, that seams to be yet another bug. Mine never crashed in a way that soft reset coudn't fix. You sure you're wating long enough ?

When does to frezze ? Menu ? Opening a book ? Turning page ? What format are you reading ?
I would also run a checkdisk on the cybook's memory.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 11-24-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
At the very least Bookeen could have put the Reset hole on the outside of the device. At least that would make life a bit easer
I know. I actually thought about drilling a small hole in the back so I don't end up with the tabs on the battery cover busted off eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Mmm, that seams to be yet another bug. Mine never crashed in a way that soft reset coudn't fix. You sure you're wating long enough ?

When does to frezze ? Menu ? Opening a book ? Turning page ? What format are you reading ?
I would also run a checkdisk on the cybook's memory.
I can't speak for Crusader, but I've waited up to a minute on a couple tries just to be sure.

Mine happen during the course of reading books. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it, sometimes it's every few minutes, sometimes it works fine for hours. If I plug it into USB while locked up I get a red light like you get when it's turned off and charging.

Mine was replaced by Books On Board once and both units do/did the same thing. The second one is currently at Bookeen for a 'dead pixel' issue and the lockup issue was also noted to them so maybe they can figure it out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #10
Crusader
Space Cadet

Mine also freezes randomly. Twice it was when browsing through the library and the third time was while reading "Neptune's Crossing" in ePub format.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Page Down + Power is NOT a soft reset. It is really a hard reset. And it need you to keep it really 10 seconds or more, it is really not immediate, if you are unsure, keep these key pressed until the blue led blink
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:05 PM   #12
Crusader
Space Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
Page Down + Power is NOT a soft reset. It is really a hard reset. And it need you to keep it really 10 seconds or more, it is really not immediate, if you are unsure, keep these key pressed until the blue led blink
Thanks. I guess it might be a case of me not waiting long enough. The next time it freezes I'll keep the buttons pressed for longer and see if that helps.

I'm assuming the blue LED will blink once the reset is started. I held the buttons in initially for around 15sec but nothing happened and no blinking light at all.
Old 11-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

Yeap, the LED blink when reset.
Old 11-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #14
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
You can "try" this reset even when the device is working normaly, just try by powering it when you press the pagedown button, keep pressed and wait and see, you will see you Cybook reseting again, and again and again until you release one of the buttons
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Loopy65
Groupie
Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Loopy65 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3; iPad & iPhone 4
the 'holding buttons down' reset has never once worked for me (even when i've held them down for at least a minute!) .. and yes, the reset button being under the casing is really annoying! .. if Bookeen (or anyone else!) produced a battery cover with the hole in the right place I'd actually pay money for it! .. hubby has offered to drill it but I'm too scared!

Loopy
Loopy65 is offline   Reply With Quote