Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-27-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
verxus
verxus began at the beginning.

Device: boox note?
Get the Note 2?

Hello everyone.

I am about to order my second e-reader. I come from a Kobo Glo HD that i got a few years ago just for reading, however my needs have changed since.

I am an engineering student and I do a lot of my reading on PDFs. However the Glo was too small for that. I mainly care about my eyes thats why I want an e-ink screen and not something like an ipad.

I though about getting a Max 3 however it is far too expensive for me, and i can hardly afford the Note 2. Shall i proceed with it? I want it for reading pdfs and possibly take notes on these pdfs during the lectures.

verxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I'm surprised that no one has answered your query. I have very little knowledge of the larger ereaders but I do know that in order to successfully read PDF you will need a reader which is at least 10 inches.

It might be better to consider a tablet, unless eink is vital to you.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
^^^^^
Agree. I have 1000s of technical PDF data, 100s of old scanned magazines, dozens of old PDF scanned books. They are not going to work on less than 10" and even then some are tricky. Some need colour.
A 13.8" Sony Paper might be nice if I was rich or a Company gave it to me. It's orientated to annotating internal Office PDFs. Doesn't even support eBooks!. Costs about x2 a decent laptop and up to x7 a 10" LCD tablet.
Samsung does a rather expensive tablet with a true stylus. All ordinary eInk and tablet touch are rubbish for stylus use because capacitive or IR are low resolution. You need resistive or Wacom as well as capacitive/IR for touch.
In 1980s to 2007 the Capacitive and IR was only used for Kiosks because handwriting and sketched annotation needed resistive resolution. The 1st iPhone was a success because of cheap data plan (all else had been content creation / annotation per MegaByte or per second), so the bought in Fingerworks went BACK to the Kiosk content browsing model. Hence no copy/paste on 1st iPhone.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote