Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Readerirv
Readerirv began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, Pocket Edge, Kindle
Entourage Pocket EDGe

I first posted this on the Alternative Devices forum not realizing that there was an Entourage forum.
I purchased an Entourage Pocket eDGe during the Woot sale. Is there a way to access the Amazon Kindle bookstore and download books to the E ink side of the eDGe so that they can be read oudoors. For example, I have a Kindle. Would a book purchased via my Kindle also show up on the eDGE (e ink side). What if I purchased the book on the Amazon website using the eDGe as the initial purchasing device (assuming this is possible)? Can Barnes & Noble or Google Bookstore books be downloaded onto the E ink side. Help would be appreciated from an eDGe veteran.
Thanks
Readerirv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerirv View Post
For example, I have a Kindle. Would a book purchased via my Kindle also show up on the eDGE (e ink side). What if I purchased the book on the Amazon website using the eDGe as the initial purchasing device (assuming this is possible)? Can Barnes & Noble or Google Bookstore books be downloaded onto the E ink side. Help would be appreciated from an eDGe veteran.
Thanks
Only DRM free and Adobe Drm'ed Epub and pdf will show on the e-ink side (other than the Journal and Calendar apps), so the answer is: not without liberating and converting. Don't think of the e-ink screen as a second display for the LCD side, think of it as a reader (ie Sony or Kobo) attached to the LCD tablet.

You can run the Kindle app on the LCD side and share books with your kindle, but without conversion to Epub it can't be read on the e-ink side.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Readerirv

Thanks 5thWiggle. Do any bookstores sell Adobe Drm'ed Epub books that can be downloaded directly to the Pocket Edge E Ink reader? For instance Sony or Kobo bookstores? What about downloading to a PC and then moving the books to the E Ink reader portion of the Pocket Edge? As the weather improves I am looking for a way to read ebooks outdoors.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Readerirv, as you will see when you get it, the tablet side of the eDGe is what communicates with the outside world. You can buy through the (tablet-side) browser if you wish, then move books (epub and pdf, DRM or not) to the e-ink side. You can also move web pages to the e-ink side to read in the sun. But you can't download anything directly to e-ink (I think . . . someone correct me if I'm wrong!).

What I do is buy books or download them from the library to my PC, then either email them to my PE, or transfer them using the USB cable, or pick them up over my LAN-to-PE wireless connection.

I use Calibre, so most of my books come through there. I also have the Sony Reader Library software on my PC and buy books through that sometimes, or over the internet from Books on Board or Kobo. The Adobe DRM epub books can be loaded onto your PE through Adobe Digital Editions on your PC (using USB cable).

You can buy books from the enTourage store directly on your PE.

The LCD side acts kind of like a controller, showing you what you have in your library or in storage. To read a book on the e-ink side you tap the Reader icon on the tablet side and tell it which book to open. The two sides really are interconnected, and I hope you will have fun exploring the ways they are!

Sorry for the long post. There are many ways of getting books onto your PE, either side. And you will find many sources for those books. Have fun!!

Last edited by Filark; 05-06-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #5
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerirv View Post
Thanks 5thWiggle. Do any bookstores sell Adobe Drm'ed Epub books that can be downloaded directly to the Pocket Edge E Ink reader? For instance Sony or Kobo bookstores? What about downloading to a PC and then moving the books to the E Ink reader portion of the Pocket Edge? As the weather improves I am looking for a way to read ebooks outdoors.
Sony and Kobo (especially the latter) are my favourite sources of ebooks. Adobe DRM'ed books are provided to the buyer as a small shortcut file with the ASCM (sp?) extension. When you "run" this file, the download of the actual EPUB/PDF begins. I'm not sure the eDGe can recognize this file type even with Ermine to do that EPUB/PDF download, so typically you download the ebook on a PC/Mac and then copy the file to your eDGe and add it to your Library.

It's actually a recommended idea to download all such ebooks to Adobe Digital Editions as it gives you a backup of everything you've bought. If you hook up your eDGe to the PC/Mac with the miniUSB cable and mount the eDGe, Adobe Digital Editions can then transfer the ebooks to your eDGe.

Search the enTourage forums for details.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2011, 08:28 AM   #6
Readerirv

borisb and Filark, Thank you for your helpful responses. They will be helpful to all of the new Woot purchasers of the Edge when they find their way to this site.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
lusy65
Banned
lusy65 began at the beginning.

Device: Pepper Pad 3
OHHHHHHH help
My Pocket eDGe locked up. What can I do?
lusy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
GiGi4010
Pocket Virgin
GiGi4010 is on a distinguished road

Device: entourage pocketedge
Don know, but I have the same questions, let's hope someone else can fill in the blanks.
GiGi4010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #9
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
That happened to me when I was adding a LOT of books very, very quickly.

Just use a straightened paper clip and insert it into the reset button firmly but gently.

Edge rebooted and has been fine since then.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Another way to recover from a locked up Edge is to slide the Power Switch and Hold It until you receive the default e-reader wallpaper (Slide the power switch to turn device on. Provided you haven't changed it) and then release.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, entourage edge