Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-11-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
nmackay
nmackay began at the beginning.

Books show in Marvin Docs, but not in Marvin on ipad

Just bought Marvin. When my ipad is connected using iTunes I can get my books into the pane showing "Marvin documents" as if all is well. But on Marvin on iPad itself I see only the 5 books that came originally bundled with Marvin.
Trying to 'refresh' produces a box/question saying “rescan your documents for new books :NO or REFRESH” Neither leads to anything
I can get books into Marvin by emailling them. But this is exactly what I wanted to avoid doing. Any help appreciated.
Note I am using iTunes 11 because that is best for interacting with my iPod nano & organising my music.
nmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
What you're doing should work

What type computer do you use for iTunes (Mac, Windows PC), what operating system (Vista, Win7, etc), 32-bit or 64-bit?

iTunes 11.x, which specific version are you using?

What iOS is running on your iPad?

Sorry for all the questions, but all the "pieces of the puzzle" have to fit together.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need the latest iTunes if you have iOS 9.x on your iPad. Forget the iPod nano and what version iTunes you like best.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
nmackay

I am running windows 7 enterprise, 64bit. ipad iOs 9, itunes 11.2. latest Marvin. I guess I should try with more recent itunes as JSWolf says. But i really loathe the awkwardness of itunes 'updates'.
Moreover, I am only trying to get iTunes to transfer books because (apparantly like many people) I cannot get calibre to link to marvin.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:22 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmackay View Post
I am running windows 7 enterprise, 64bit. ipad iOs 9, itunes 11.2. latest Marvin. I guess I should try with more recent itunes as JSWolf says. But i really loathe the awkwardness of itunes 'updates'.
Moreover, I am only trying to get iTunes to transfer books because (apparantly like many people) I cannot get calibre to link to marvin.
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1615?...S&locale=en_US

That is the link for iTunes 12.1.3 4-bit for Windows.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2015, 10:05 AM   #6
nmackay

I have updated to 12.1.3 4-bit for Windows. Connected the ipad (iOS9). Found the 'Apps that can be used to transfer files. Gone to Marvin it still shows exactly what it did in the old set up: my books show in the "Marvin documents" pane on my PC's iTunes/Marvin window as if all is well. But on Marvin on iPad itself I see only the 5 books that came originally bundled with Marvin. It is an ipad 2 could that be the problem?

Last edited by nmackay; 10-12-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Make sure the epub's are DRM free or Marvin will not load them.

Check the attachment to make sure you're going to the right screen.

Holler back ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AddBook.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	142806  
Old 10-13-2015, 06:03 AM   #8
nmackay

Thanks MartyTX & JSWolf. I muddled through and got my books form Calibre library to Marvin on the ipad via iTunes. Not sure which actions did the trick - much switching off systems and restarting was involved. Now to try for a more direct Calibre to Marvin method.
A general comment: I have been involved with computer systems for over 45 years (work at a university) and have designed though not programmed educational utilities. I have learned to be persistent and to experiment with purchased software, almost every bit of which involves these sorts of complexities and trials. It's like ordering a new car and it turns up in boxes for you to put it together, when all you wanted to do was to drive it. I believe the vast majority of people are not computerniks: they want to do things like collect and read ebooks, and would give up if you even mentioned a MobileRead forum.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
MartyTX
Dedicated

Glad your books are finding their way to Marvin. Some other apps might get books into your iPad easier, but IMHO Marvin is the best way to read eBooks!

The world would be a very dull place without computerniks.

Regards,
Marty

PS: You might want to jump into the 21st century and use the term "techie"!