Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
Plebster
Plebster began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-500
Replacement Screen

Hi, I have managed to stand on my reader and crack my screen!! now my insurance covered for a replacement reader but they also left me with the old one. so the question is is there any way to get a replacement screen? i'm in the UK just to compound things!!

Cheers,

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_061.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	4421  
Plebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
That is one area where pbooks are superior to ebooks. Next time think of a telephone directory rather than the Reader.

Those that have tried to replace the screen have found that the cost through Sony is US $250+. I have never seen e-ink screens offered for sale except in developer kits from e-ink and the price was many times what the Sony Reader costs.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You may not be able to replace the screen, but you should now have spare parts like and extra battery and such just in case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I'd keep it until e-Ink displays are available for consumer purchase (probably be by the end of the year or so, just a guess).

Ouch!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
jlc
Enthusiast
jlc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650
When I had a similar problem a few weeks ago, Sony repaired mine without any fuss. As long as you are under warranty, there really isn't much to worry about.

I've also had my doubts about Sony recently. You have some people out there who put their readers through hell (accidentally, of course) but they somehow survive. On the other end of the spectrum, there are people like us who don't mistreat our readers but they unexpectedly wake up dead one day. Now that my reader is in working order again, I've become increasingly paranoid of transporting it the "wrong" way or even handling it too rough. Is my newly-repaired reader as robust as it should be or does it remain overly sensitive. This is the question that I ask myself every time I pick up my reader.
jlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Any time I leave the house with the Reader it is in the original case and that is inside the Pouch which has additional protection for the screen. I've been safe so far.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote