Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #1
filw
filw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy Kindle DXG Suddenly Died. Is This What Bricked Looks Like?

Help!

I have a DXG that is only about five months old. I've been running Duokan on it almost since day one. The other day, I plugged it into my computer and it turned on but didn't go to the USB screen, and my computer didn't find it.

When I unplugged the USB cable, the Kindle's screen stayed on the main menu, and the clock wasn't changing--the Kindle was frozen.

I was only able to shut it off by holding the power switch for about 10 seconds, so now the screen is completely blank and I can't turn it back on.

When I plug it into a power outlet, nothing happens. The screen doesn't even flicker, so I can't get into Recovery Mode.

Is this what bricking looks like? Is there anything I can do to save it?
filw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
On this "Troubleshooting Your Kindle DX" page at Amazon, under "Kindle screen frozen or Kindle unresponsive," it states:

Quote:
Possible cause:

Low battery charge.
  • Plug the Kindle into a wall outlet.
  • Ensure the Kindle is charging (the indicator light should be on).
  • Wait 2 minutes.
  • If necessary unplug the Kindle and reset by moving and holding the power switch for 20 seconds before releasing it.
You may not have held the power switch long enough to do a full reboot. It does take longer than 10 seconds on my Kindle Keyboard 3G (more like 30-60 seconds). I have read that you shouldn't do the restart procedure while the device is actually charging, so be sure to disconnect the Kindle before doing that.

I hope you'll be able to get it working again!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
filw
filw began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thankyouthankyouthankyou, DreamWriter!

It wasn't the battery, as the Kindle was nearly fully charged when it went down, and when I plugged it in the charging light was green.

But I did hold the power switch for more than 20 seconds and it booted up. Yay!

That was so simple, I feel a bit silly, but just to reiterate:

Thankyouthankyouthankyou!
filw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Yay! I'm so glad that worked!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, duokan, dxg, kindle