Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-16-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
Pablear
Pablear began at the beginning.

Device: PSR-T2
Weird looking text on mobi (converted from epub)

Hello! I hope I'm posting in the right forum.

I'm helping a friend to create an ebook which will eventually be published. We already created an epub (using indesing and calibre e-book editor), and I converted the book to .mobi using KindlePreviewer. Although the output file looks good on the KindlePreviewer, I checked it in a Kindle Paperwhite, and I get some weird looking text (example in attached image) on some paragraphs which have a certain style. I've been trying to find out what is the cause but I can't seem to find one.

The encoding for every file is encoding='utf-8'.

I'll paste the xhtml and css for the text in the picture in order to help

Code:
p.titulo_3blanco {
  -epub-hyphens: none;
  -webkit-hyphens: none;
  color: #1d1d1b;
  font-family: "Roboto Condensed", sans-serif;
  font-size: 1.083em;
  font-style: normal;
  font-variant: normal;
  font-weight: normal;
  line-height: 1.2;
  margin-bottom: 23px;
  margin-left: 0;
  margin-right: 0;
  margin-top: 28px;
  orphans: 1;
  page-break-after: avoid;
  page-break-before: auto;
  text-align: left;
  text-decoration: none;
  text-indent: 0;
  widows: 1;
}
Code:
<p class="Titulo1grande---indice"><a href="epub_breviario-10.xhtml#uEZvBBaBuGbEt9Xc34VIH7A">Los Diseños “Nacionales”</a></p>
			<p class="Titulo2---indice" xml:lang="en-GB"><a href="epub_breviario-10.xhtml#uky2JaBVxFCLXcwsUdR9Ku7">17. Alemania</a></p>
			<p class="titulo_3blanco---indice" xml:lang="en-GB"><a href="epub_breviario-10.xhtml#unKeC7Ijr9hDhSFeFp8T4gD">ULM</a></p>
			<p class="titulo_3blanco---indice" xml:lang="en-GB"><a href="epub_breviario-10.xhtml#uNSDUWpq4Ulfspi4FK83TTF">El Nuevo Diseño Alemán (NDA)</a></p>
			<p class="titulo_3blanco---indice" xml:lang="en-GB"><a href="epub_breviario-10.xhtml#uBY8ZOVXxmyM9ovSlaEAX8F">Acerca de la Identidad alemana en Diseño</a></p>
I hope you can help me too resolve this issue in order to avoid it in the future (since I create ebooks for work).

(The xhtml and css is messy because it was created by my friend, who doesn't know how to edit it.)

Thanks for reading!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14009869_10157171912545198_725693500_n.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	151028  
Pablear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
digital.ebook
ePublishing eXpert
digital.ebook began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle, Kobo, Nook, Nexus, iPhone
Can you please share the CSS for "titulo_3blanco---indice" attribute. Else you can email the ePub file at "digital.ebook.solution@gmail.com" so that I can debug it.

Thanks!
digital.ebook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 02:43 AM   #3
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
You might try stripping out the xml:lang="en-GB" bits and see if that fixes it. I vaguely recall xml:lang being problematic on Kindle, but I could be remembering wrong.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote