Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-10-2014, 04:58 PM   #1
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Insert metadata page - remove blank space

I really like the book jacket feature, but I wanted to remove the Tags and Ratings from it. I figured out from searching here how to do so, and it worked great, but the only problem is now there's a large blank space between the line under Publisher and the book summary. I'd attach a screenshot but I'm not at home currently. Is there a way I can edit the jacket stylesheet to move the book summary higher up on the page?
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:54 AM   #2
Penny_Dreadful
She/Her
Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: Kindle PW5 (G001PX) PW3 PW1
So you set up a new resources folder with the jacket folder containing template.xhtml and stylesheet.css?

If you've done that then you can edit the template.xhtml in notepad or similar text editor. If you remove the highlighted code from the template.xhtml it will remove the Tags, Ratings and the extra lines around them and your new metadata jacket would look like the second image. You will have to re-polish your books to get the new jacket in there.

Hope this is what you were looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	template.xhtml.png
Views:	200
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	120390   Click image for larger version

Name:	ebookreader.png
Views:	239
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	120391  
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks so much for your help! I had set up the resources folder properly but only made changes to the stylesheet. I'm a complete newb to all this and the instructions I found only mentioned taking the tags and ratings out of the stylesheet.

So I made the changes in the template but I'm not sure it worked. There's still a big space there but now only the line between the 2 sections is gone (although looking at it, the space does seem a bit smaller). I really like the line though, so I then tried leaving in the metadata divider section of the template, but that just gave me the same jacket I had before changing the template. I've attached 2 images, the first one is how it looked when I'd only changed the stylesheet, and the second is after the changes.

I do really like the default jacket, but if I could just get the summary moved up a bit it would be perfect.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jacket before.PNG
Views:	212
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	120404   Click image for larger version

Name:	jacket after.PNG
Views:	200
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	120405  
Old 03-18-2014, 03:04 AM   #4
Penny_Dreadful
She/Her
Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.Penny_Dreadful is my North, my South, my East and West.

Device: Kindle PW5 (G001PX) PW3 PW1
Ok I think I know what you're looking for I've attached a picture of what it will look like (although your's will be a bit different, mine has a border around it from the output profile I have selected, the text bits should be similar.)

So start with a new copy of template.xhtml and replace this:
Code:
                <tr class="cbj_rating">
                    <td class="cbj_label">{rating_label}:</td>
                    <td class="cbj_content">{rating}</td>
                </tr>
                <tr class="cbj_tags">
                    <td class="cbj_label">{tags_label}:</td>
                    <td class="cbj_content">{tags}</td>
                </tr>
            </table>
            <div class="cbj_footer">{footer}</div>
        </div>
        <hr class="cbj_kindle_banner_hr" />
        <!-- 
        In addition you can add code to show the values of custom columns here.
        The value is available as _column_name and the title as
        _column_name_label.  For example, if you have a custom column with
        label #genre, you can add it to this template with _genre_label and
        _genre. Note that the # is replaced by an underscore. For example

<div><b>{_genre_label}:</b> {_genre}</div>
        -->

<div class="cbj_comments">{comments}</div>
    </body>
</html>
with this:
Code:
                <tr class="cbj_comments">
                    <td colspan="2">{comments}</td>
				</tr>
            </table>
            <div class="cbj_footer">{footer}</div>
        </div>
        <hr class="cbj_kindle_banner_hr" />
        <!-- 
        In addition you can add code to show the values of custom columns here.
        The value is available as _column_name and the title as
        _column_name_label.  For example, if you have a custom column with
        label #genre, you can add it to this template with _genre_label and
        _genre. Note that the # is replaced by an underscore. For example

<div><b>{_genre_label}:</b> {_genre}</div>
        -->

</body>
</html>
Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	show.png
Views:	182
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	120433  
Penny_Dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:07 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalana View Post
I do really like the default jacket, but if I could just get the summary moved up a bit it would be perfect.
My guess is if you reduced the margin or padding found in this section of the stylesheet.css you may get the results you want.

.cbj_banner {
background: #eee;
border: thin solid black;
margin: 1em;
padding: 1em;
-webkit-border-radius:8px;
}

Adjusting either will reduce the margin or padding around the whole table. If you only want to affect the bottom you could substitute:

margin:1.1em 1.2em 0em 1em;

In this example the
top margin 1.1em is first, followed clockwise around the table,
right margin 1.2em
bottom margin 0em
left margin 1em

The same above applies to padding.

Google css margin for more info.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-18-2014 at 03:11 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #6
kristalana
Groupie

Ok great news! I tried changing the padding in the stylesheet from 1 to 0 and that did it. I'd hoped it would be something simple. I didn't realize until yesterday that it looks different for the mobi output, so I think if I'm ever converting to epub it won't look so great, but for my purposes now this is perfect. Thank you both so much for the help.