Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
bookw0rm
bookw0rm began at the beginning.

Device: Android Tablet
Anyway to open multiple instances of calibre?

Anyway to open multiple instances of Calibre? I would like to open multiple instances of Calibre to view different libraries at the same time. Is there a way to do this?
bookw0rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The simple answer is No.

Curious - why do you want to do it? You may be able to achieve what you want using the server.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-16-2017 at 03:47 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Also, FWIW
Find Duplicates plugin can Check another known (on the quick switch list) Library
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #4
bookw0rm

I want to have multiple libraries open at once. How do I accomplish this in Calibre?
Old 10-16-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've put all my books (both ebooks and entries for paperbooks) into one Calibre library which is then subdivided into several virtual libraries which are then opened in tabs. Same effect as having several libraries while still being able to tab from one to the other.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #6
bookw0rm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekbell View Post
I've put all my books (both ebooks and entries for paperbooks) into one Calibre library which is then subdivided into several virtual libraries which are then opened in tabs. Same effect as having several libraries while still being able to tab from one to the other.
How do you put libraries into other libraries? I have like 100 library tabs that I want to do what you're doing with.
Old 10-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #7
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Set up your master library(or whatever you name it) using switch/create library....; Choose your books; right click; select Copy to Library and choose the appropriate library name.

Make sure that you have some way of distinguishing between various virtual libraries (appropriate tags or whatever) before copying.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:32 AM   #8
kjdavies
Zealot
kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The simple answer is No.

Curious - why do you want to do it? You may be able to achieve what you want using the server.

BR
I can't say why bookw0rm wants to open multiple libraries at once, but I would dearly love to be able to have one version open because I'm searching the content and reading the books (and potentially updating metadata), and another version open where I'm loading new content.

For instance, have my RPG book library open while loading comic books into another library, or even have processes loading into my RPG book library and my comic book library concurrently. Possibly while I'm in my technical library.

Multiple tabs might make virtual libraries more capable than I realized, but I'm pretty sure they still don't let me load into one while I read another.
kjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 12:44 AM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavies View Post
Multiple tabs might make virtual libraries more capable than I realized, but I'm pretty sure they still don't let me load into one while I read another.
I wonder exactly what you mean by read? You can open a book from a library and continue reading it while you switch calibre to another library or even if you close calibre.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:02 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjdavies View Post
I can't say why bookw0rm wants to open multiple libraries at once, but I would dearly love to be able to have one version open because I'm searching the content and reading the books (and potentially updating metadata), and another version open where I'm loading new content.

For instance, have my RPG book library open while loading comic books into another library, or even have processes loading into my RPG book library and my comic book library concurrently. Possibly while I'm in my technical library.

See the CalibreSpy plugin, it provides concurrent Read Only access to multiple libraries ==>> Index of plugins

CalibreSpy didn't exist when bookw0rm started this thread.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-04-2020 at 01:07 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-04-2020, 02:05 AM   #11
kjdavies
Zealot
kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.kjdavies is no e-book dilettante.

Quote:
See the CalibreSpy plugin, it provides concurrent Read Only access to multiple libraries ==>> Index of plugins

CalibreSpy didn't exist when bookw0rm started this thread.

BR
I've got CalibreSpy installed, but don't see how to activate it outside calibre itself... and haven't had time to look.

CalibreSpy might handle readonly access, but it's difficult for me to not fiddle with things when I find errors, and I use calibre in my workflow to track documents I've worked with, so I'd still like to be able to make changes in one library while loading into another.

I deal with this mostly by finding other things to do when I'm loading files... but it would be nice to have multiple instances open (via calibre GUI or calibredb) and manipulating different libraries.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:32 AM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

AFAIK you can only be run ONE of these concurrently -- calibre.exe, and calibredb.exe, and calibre-server. And none neither of them can have more than one physical library open concurrently.

Have you looked at the .bat files in the first post for CalibreSpy, and read though the thread - post 37 might be of interest.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-04-2020 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Error correction - see next post
Old 06-04-2020, 02:51 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The calibre content server lets you manipulate as many libraries as you like simultaneously.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:19 AM   #14
kjdavies
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The calibre content server lets you manipulate as many libraries as you like simultaneously.
Very, very slowly.

When I run this script it takes ~4-5 seconds to load a file and set all the metadata I want (which is based on file location and other external information... GetFileName plugin did much of what I'm doing, but not all of it).

When I did a test run against a content server running locally, I could get maybe 3-4 files per minute.

I have considered going into the codebase and disabling the one-client-only check, and rely on my own sense to not run two against the same database concurrently, but this codebase bigger than I've had time to explore.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:20 AM   #15
kjdavies
Zealot

Quote:
AFAIK you can only be run ONE of these concurrently -- calibre.exe, and calibredb.exe, and calibre-server. And none neither of them can have more than one physical library open concurrently.

Have you looked at the .bat files in the first post for CalibreSpy, and read though the thread - post 37 might be of interest.

BR
I have not, but I'll check in the morning. I just spent 16 hours struggling with a Cognos report. I won, but I'm tired.