Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
hermes
non-techy
hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!hermes is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Location: wherever I can afford to get laid and eat vegetarian
Device: Sony pocket edition and Kobo touch both died - looking at Kindles
is there an ereader market for straight men?

I rarely find what I am really looking for in books, paper or digital. The titles I would pay $500 for are...

1. How to Make a Billion Dollars While in a Beachchair in Vietnam (not the junk that actually is being sold, preferably by limited edition of 1000).

2. Where to Find the Most Beautiful Women in the World (extremely well researched with lots of photos, not just some guy trying to sell a book. Limited edition of 100).

3. Even Better... How to Make a Million Dollars Photographing the Most Beautiful Women in the World (notice the sober compromise in money. Limited edition of one)

OK, less ideal books - Traditional Beekeeping and Herbs for Brain Health would be acceptable. Sure, reference books do exist, but I get the impression that instead ebooks are predominantly textual fiction rather than image-rich non-fiction. The B&W limitations of ereaders could have something to do with this.

Instead of fascinating marvels of how-to secrets on life's greatest questions (not 'why am I here?' but 'where do get laid?' and 'what countries have a flat tax rate?') there are lots have those kind of titles, usually hugely disappointing. I find award-winning, astute, insightful, artfully written books on relationships (ugh), developing psychic abilities, the history of war, medical speculation, and other time wasters of life's diversions from sex and making money. I don't know if I am an eccentric or more likely the heterosexual male brain is not hardwired for reading. I read to *prepare* for the real world of smells and objects and actions, not for entertainment (or so I lie to myself).

A publisher friend in NYC tells me that book buyers are overwhelmingly females and homosexual men. Truth or fact?

Last edited by hermes; 05-31-2011 at 03:22 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 AM   #2
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
...what? o_o; i think i got confused trying to reconcile the second part of your post with the first part...
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
...what? o_o; i think i got confused trying to reconcile the second part of your post with the first part...
I think that this pretty much sums it up.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:22 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If straight men are supposed to focus on titles about making money or getting laid, I'll gladly be mis-labeled as a homosexual reader.

Quote:
I read to *prepare* for the real world of smells and objects and actions, not for entertainment (or so I lie to myself).
How much preparation do you need? I'm on the down-hill slide of my time in the real world. Preparation is done... it's time to play.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #5
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If straight men are supposed to focus on titles about making money or getting laid, I'll gladly be mis-labeled as a homosexual reader.
Advert
Old 05-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I think that this pretty much sums it up.
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yeah... I'm really confused by this assumption that straight males (or anyone, really) only want to read books about getting laid and making money. Perhaps his time would be better spent watching Jersey Shore to "prepare for the real world". Or hey, maybe Real World! I hear that show is exactly like living real life.

I don't supposed it's ever crossed his mind that being intelligent and well-read can create a common basis between people, which can result in sex. Or making money.

Last edited by queentess; 05-31-2011 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo :(
Old 05-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
The OP is so bizzare I don't even know how to respond.

As far as I know readers are ranked by number like this:

#1-Straight Females
#2 Straigth Males
#3- Gay Females and Males

The % of gays is so low that I highly doubt you could combine both gay females and males and have half the number male readers.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:49 AM   #8
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
I read to *prepare* for the real world of smells and objects and actions, not for entertainment (or so I lie to myself).
Good fiction does this far better than non-fiction. Non-fiction provides information; fiction provides understanding. I believe your post may be a case in point. -Wait. I think my post is.

Last edited by OtterBooks; 05-31-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I'm really confused by this assumption that straight males (or anyone, really) only want to read books about getting laid and making money.
Me too. Did anyone ever achieve either as a result of reading a book on the subject? You'd get better results by taking a shower and backing a long shot.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:11 AM   #10
Kevin2960
YODA's Uglier Twin
Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin2960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600 and 2 Kindle 3's - and now a K4 + HTC Desire HD
Well I was straight when I woke this morning, and I've read using my Kindle, haven't noticed any changes in my sexual preferences so I guess I'm still straight ... Am I odd ?

Of course I am, but I think most the men using eReaders are straight, and normal and just enjoy books, gadgets and convenience in the way they read and carry books around ... I think that's pretty much like anyone else who uses an eReader !

Oh and I don't give a Damn whether another eReader fan is Straight, Gay or a Martian Asexual Creature, if they like reading, I pretty much like them !

Last edited by Kevin2960; 05-31-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I'm going to have come back and read this after I've had some coffee
Old 05-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
To be fair, I believe the OP's tongue was at least partially in his cheek... hot-button-topic attention-whoring aside.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM   #13
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
That wasn't entirely lost on me. Actually I rather enjoyed the post. 8/10
Old 05-31-2011, 10:59 AM   #14
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermes View Post
A publisher friend in NYC tells me that book buyers are overwhelmingly females and homosexual men. Truth or fact?
Yes; those 12 million copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows were sold to women and gay boys. You can expect that any boy who's read Harry Potter or Diary of a Wimpy Kid is probably gay.
[/sarcasm]

Does your publisher friend have a name, or any statistics to support that claim?

Hm. Where do bisexual men fit on that chart? All the bisexual men I know are avid readers; I wonder if publishers think they're gay.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Not just ereaders, virtually all men who read any books are gay it seems.

If this thread was supposed to be a joke, it's a really, really bad one.
Closed Thread