Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Firmware update 5.10.1.1

Here’s what’s new:

Swipe-able Home: Swipe up on your home screen to see additional tips, recommendations, and more based on your reading habits.

Easily personalize your reading: Now save multiple reading settings, selecting the font, boldness level, and orientation settings you prefer all from the main menu and quickly switch between those settings.

Return borrowed books: You can return Kindle Owners’ Lending Library books from within your library by long pressing on a borrowed book and selecting return.

Battery percentage: The percent of battery remaining is shown.

Labels for the standard toolbar: Labels are added under each icon on the standard toolbar for improved navigation.

Performance improvements and other general enhancements.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #2
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I wonder what it means by Performance improvements and other general enhancements --- things we won't notice, or something worthy?

I'm excited to see the new home screen and personalization.

I thought Returning Borrowed Books was added in the last firmware?
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, didn't know it would be available already. That was fast!
Old 10-17-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Thanks for telling us - I wasn’t expecting this so soon!

I’ve downloaded it am now installing it. Really hoping for some improved battery life with this one and looking forward to seeing the other changes.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:05 PM   #5
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Nevermind, it's not available for me yet.
Advert
Old 10-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #6
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Oh, that’s a shame. I’ve been using it and the main difference I can see (apart from the home screen) is that the font selection menu is now on the left - yikes! And the font sizes etc are all an extra step away so I hope that gets changed soon.

I’ve saved my settings for daytime reading (Charis size 3, no light), so that seems quite useful, and I’ll save my nighttime setting tonight (landscape, GIANT FONT, light 2).
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Nevermind, it's not available for me yet.
You can download the update file from Amazon.com, drop it to the device usb-visible root and select menu item Update Your Kindle.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
Are reading stats available or will that be after the new kindle is out?
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Oh, that’s a shame. I’ve been using it and the main difference I can see (apart from the home screen) is that the font selection menu is now on the left - yikes! And the font sizes etc are all an extra step away so I hope that gets changed soon.

I’ve saved my settings for daytime reading (Charis size 3, no light), so that seems quite useful, and I’ll save my nighttime setting tonight (landscape, GIANT FONT, light 2).

I'm eager to see the new homepage. My font selection menu already opens on the left but only if I am in the customize section. You are using an Oasis? Maybe they rolled them out to them first.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #10
Seanpr
Seanpr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Would this break a 1st Gen Paperwhite?
Seanpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #11
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
You can download the update file from Amazon.com, drop it to the device usb-visible root and select menu item Update Your Kindle.
I'm not at home and able to do that right now, so was hoping it would be able to manually update. Sadly not yet.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It appears they haven't dropped support for the 6th gen paperwhite yet, which is somewhat surprising to me in a way, but possibly not in other ways.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanpr View Post
Would this break a 1st Gen Paperwhite?
I'm not sure if they are updating to 1st Gen, but if they do, it wouldn't break it since it would be an official update.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
Kaan88
Kaan88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW 3
Does the jailbreak survive?
Kaan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
hius07
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaan88 View Post
Does the jailbreak survive?
Seems no
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=3238