Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-08-2018, 10:44 AM   #61
i_m_sherlocked
i_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Clara HD, ASUS Transformer Book T100TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentaro View Post
Thanks David, this would probably be a little OT, but, does the same apply to the Aura H2O (need to choose between those two, this one being a bit larger)?
thx again
Only the Aura H2O2 has overdrive integration. Public library integration did influence my device purchase, so you might want to take that into consideration. I use ADE-then-Calibre for harder to find books that happen to be a/v at the library.
i_m_sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #62
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_sherlocked View Post
Only the Aura H2O2 has overdrive integration. Public library integration did influence my device purchase, so you might want to take that into consideration. I use ADE-then-Calibre for harder to find books that happen to be a/v at the library.
Maybe I missed the context, but I believe all the currently shipping Kobo readers with a firmware upgrade have Overdrive integration.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2018, 11:53 AM   #63
i_m_sherlocked
i_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanei_m_sherlocked makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kobo Clara HD, ASUS Transformer Book T100TA
that's correct. the currently shipping kobo aura H2O is a 2nd edition. @sentaro was asking btwn clara HD and H2O. i just wanted to make sure they knew what they were talking about.
i_m_sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 03:51 PM   #64
sentaro
sentaro began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_m_sherlocked View Post
Quite interesting, on the rakuten website the overdrive Help article applies to both Aura H2O and Aura H2O Edition 2. It looks like, however, stores are only selling the "edition 2" device (at least in Italy).

Thank you so much for your advice that led me to verify that I am covered by a public library ebook program.
sentaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #65
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Quite interesting, on the rakuten website the overdrive Help article applies to both Aura H2O and Aura H2O Edition 2. It looks like, however, stores are only selling the "edition 2" device (at least in Italy).

Thank you so much for your advice that led me to verify that I am covered by a public library ebook program.
Check which countries overdrive is supported for, I don't think Italy is one (I mean when using a Kobo for direct access....of course with ADE it is fine)
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #66
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I just bought a Kobo Clara HD, and it does not have the light-bleed issue (and I'm quite picky about displays; if it was there, I'd see it). It's fine both in regular mode and with the night-mode hack at all brightness levels (nor does it have any of the bright pinpricks of light that have bedeviled some other Kobos of other types that I've seen). I bought this in Canada from Indigo.ca, placing the order on Black Friday (23 November 2018).

Perhaps they've got a new batch with this fixed at the manufacturing level. I'm X-ing out the last three digits of my serial number, but you might look in stores for one that's near to or higher than this number (the number is on the unopened box; you don't have to open the box to find it): N249880258XXX.

Lovely device, by the way.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:04 AM   #67
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post

[...]you might look in stores for one that's near to or higher than this number (the number is on the unopened box; you don't have to open the box to find it): N249880258XXX.

Lovely device, by the way.

My Clara’s SN starts with N2498400... (so a lot lower number) and it did have the light issue. Just confirming this hypothesis could be plausible.

Indeed a lovely device!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:46 AM   #68
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:

If You want to borrow eBooks from Italian libraries:

https://www.medialibrary.it/

You need ADE, of course.

Last edited by ps67; 12-10-2018 at 10:56 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #69
Dougr33
Nameless Being

Newbie Question: (tried to find myself)
Just got a Clara HD thru Walmart, and my screensaver (when Not using Cover as screensaver) is a hideous 'Walmart eBooks / Kobo'
For privacy (and since I use for Pocket too), i'd like to have different default (or ideally several rotating.. but anything's better than the Walmart one!).
Thanks for any help. I'm comfortable with some hacking.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #70
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougr33 View Post
Newbie Question: (tried to find myself)
Just got a Clara HD thru Walmart, and my screensaver (when Not using Cover as screensaver) is a hideous 'Walmart eBooks / Kobo'
For privacy (and since I use for Pocket too), i'd like to have different default (or ideally several rotating.. but anything's better than the Walmart one!).
Thanks for any help. I'm comfortable with some hacking.

There are ~two~ three options as far as I know:

1. You can change your affiliate from WalMart (or whatever it is) to “kobo” (or other) in the Affiliates file in the .kobo folder of your Clara (hidden folder in Linux/Mac OS). That gets rid of the Walmart logo. You’ll have the cover of the most recently opened (not finished) book or Pocket article as screen saver.

2. You can install an add-on to use custom screen savers: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255238

3. Or both
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #71
Dougr33
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post

1. You can change your affiliate from WalMart (or whatever it is) to “kobo” (or other) in the Affiliates file in the .kobo folder of your Clara (hidden folder in Linux/Mac OS). That gets rid of the Walmart logo. You’ll have the cover of the most recently opened (not finished) book or Pocket article as screen saver.

2. You can install an add-on to use custom screen savers: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=255238

3. Or both
Thanks! "1." was very helpful. Wrestling with "2.", but hope to get it working. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:02 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post

1. You can change your affiliate from WalMart (or whatever it is) to “kobo” (or other) in the Affiliates file in the .kobo folder of your Clara... You’ll have the cover of the most recently opened (not finished) book or Pocket article as screen saver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougr33 View Post
Thanks! "1." was very helpful. Wrestling with "2.", but hope to get it working. Thanks again.
Having used option 1 on my Aura and option 2 on my Nook, I've found using your current book's cover to be preferable to any custom screensaver I might use.

I find I ultimately get tired of whatever images I chose, whereas the cover of my current book hearkens back to reading paper books.

Just my $0.02 of advice. Take it for exactly what it's worth.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:21 PM   #73
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Having used option 1 on my Aura and option 2 on my Nook, I've found using your current book's cover to be preferable to any custom screensaver I might use.

I find I ultimately get tired of whatever images I chose, whereas the cover of my current book hearkens back to reading paper books.

Just my $0.02 of advice. Take it for exactly what it's worth.
Adding my $0.02 costs me nearly twice that much in local currency, but it's totally worth it. With only one fully functional hand these days, dead tree books are not for me anymore, so having the covers display on my H2O2 makes it look more like a book, imo.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:07 AM   #74
dominus
dominus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hi!
I cannot find any way to add/edit/organize collections from pc. Calibre with plugins is not successfull with Clara. Any ideas?
dominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 04:00 AM   #75
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominus View Post
Hi!
I cannot find any way to add/edit/organize collections from pc. Calibre with plugins is not successfull with Clara. Any ideas?
What exactly is not working? I had no issues creating and maintaining more than a dozen collections on my Clara via Calibre with the help of the Kobo Utilities plugin