Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 01-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #16
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dusty View Post
Do you have any recommends on what is out there for reading on, with some netflix movie watching that is reasonably priced?
I you can figure out your way around command line and go for the 3rd gen device which can be flashed with Nougat, the screen quality/resolution of Fire HDX 7/8.9 can't be beat.

Amazon was selling NOS of 3rd gen HDX 7 for $70 and HDX 8.9 for $120 last year. They are probably all sold out now.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 01:05 PM   #17
R3zlaDaniell
Banned
R3zlaDaniell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
While I agree that the S2 8" is a very nice tablet it's also pretty expensive. Right now it's on sale, probably till Christmas, and within your budget, but normally it's quite a bit over $300.

These days most good Android tablets are between $125 and $175. Some good choices are the Asus Zenpad S and the Acer A1-840FHD. These are both 8" tablets. The Asus has a 4:3 aspect ratio and the Acer has a 16:9 aspect ratio. I have the Acer and it's got a really fine screen.

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Zenpad-Z...words=zenpad+s

I'm not saying these are better than the S2. They're not, but they're very good and they cost a lot less.

Barry
I've pretty recently gotten a Zenpad and can tell you that it's one of the better ones I've owned. This is my 4th one, but hey as long as it doesn't blow up it's fine right?
R3zlaDaniell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #18
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I replaced my nexus 7 2012 with a Samsung Note Pro 12.2 but I was very lucky in the pricing, I think I bought it just as the shop wanted to shift them out of stock.

I payed about the same for the 32gb Note Pro as I did on the 32gb Nexus 7 and the note really blows it away in really everything it's probably the best purchase I've made tech wise it's even replaced my laptop with no regrets. I admit I do have a lot of accessories that help with that (Logitech K810 keyboard, logitech m535 bluetooth mouse, Bose Soundlink mini 2 speaker, Sennheiser mm400-x headphones).

Probably not that useful a post by me really just what I did and the Note Pro amazes me in nearly everything in the comparison, especially the battery life where I can watch video for an entire day with no problem.

Ironically the only thing the Nexus 7 could be considered better is reading because that size screen is ideal for it.

Last edited by Teknikal; 01-20-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #19
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
I replaced my nexus 7 2012 with a Samsung Note Pro 12.2
Ironically the only thing the Nexus 7 could be considered better is reading because that size screen is ideal for it.
I have both and the Note Pro works great for pdfs. Agree not so great for reading ebooks. Turing it to landscape works great making a 2 column ebook. However, for me, it is not the size nor the weight that causes the ebook reading problem, but the button that takes you back to the home screen. I was constantly hitting it in landscape mode while reading. I even tried rooting it, but couldn't find a good app to turn off that button.

Just saw that you have the 12.2 - I have the 10.1, so maybe mine would be better for ebook reading (without that pesky button!).
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:25 PM   #20
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I have both and the Note Pro works great for pdfs. Agree not so great for reading ebooks. Turing it to landscape works great making a 2 column ebook. However, for me, it is not the size nor the weight that causes the ebook reading problem, but the button that takes you back to the home screen. I was constantly hitting it in landscape mode while reading. I even tried rooting it, but couldn't find a good app to turn off that button.

Just saw that you have the 12.2 - I have the 10.1, so maybe mine would be better for ebook reading (without that pesky button!).
It's actually grown on me a bit for reading recently I do have a "generic style" cover that helps me not interact with the buttons unless I actually want to. But I really only recently figured out reading mode makes you specify apps (duh) between that power saving mode and Moon+'s blue light filter I've been liking it a lot more.

Best thing is I've been getting really pretty crazy screen on time reading 20+ hours between charging and it does do PDF's really well.
Advert
Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #21
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's actually grown on me a bit for reading recently I do have a "generic style" cover that helps me not interact with the buttons unless I actually want to.
What cover do you have, and where did you get it? Maybe it would help me with the button problem.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:33 AM   #22
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
What cover do you have, and where did you get it? Maybe it would help me with the button problem.
I think it was just one I ordered from Mobilefun.co.uk unfortunately it was quite a while ago and I have no clue what brand it even was, website doesn't show it anymore.

I honestly think it was just a very basic cover just the fact the device is in it recesses the buttons a bit so no accidental touching.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:48 AM   #23
peaceridge
Guru

Quote:
I think it was just one I ordered from Mobilefun.co.uk unfortunately it was quite a while ago and I have no clue what brand it even was, website doesn't show it anymore.

I honestly think it was just a very basic cover just the fact the device is in it recesses the buttons a bit so no accidental touching.
Thanks, I have mine in a sleeve, so I'll try a cover and see if that helps.