Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM   #61
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I said yesterday that my library didn't have Kindle yet. Well, they finally got it this morning.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:52 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I very much doubt it. The Sony T1 does not seem to have a web browser, and Sony is not going to build a custom interface to Overdrive, which would involve too much 'coupling'.

I think it is going to work very much like Kindle does now, that is, you'll get an option on the Overdrive web site to send to your Sony, you'll get redirected to a Sony page to authenticate and choose the device to send to, and Sony's servers would fulfill the ebook.
The T1 does have a browser. And yes, it can download library eBooks without the need for a computer. Actually, it can work very much like ADE on your computer does. The T1 downloads the .acsm file and then that gets filled by the Adobe server and sent to the T1. That's how I think it will work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
Has anyone else noticed that with the Kindle transition, the older books that used to be PDF-only now have Kindle AND epub versions? I'm wondering if the conversion didn't yield something for other users too.
The way the new setup works is that the libraries no longer have to buy separate copies in different formats. They just buy X number of copies and they come in PDF, ePub, Mobipocket, & Kindle. Mobipocket only if the library supports it and the eBook has a Mobipocket version. So whatever of the four formats the eBook is available in and depending on Mobipocket support, the library gets what's available. So this makes it easier for the library and the users. So those entries that used to have say 1 PDF and 1 ePub could not possibly have 2 copies available in PDF, ePub, Mobipocket, or Kindle. The choice is up to the user.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM   #64
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
I said yesterday that my library didn't have Kindle yet. Well, they finally got it this morning.
Apparently, the same here!
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #65
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The way the new setup works is that the libraries no longer have to buy separate copies in different formats. They just buy X number of copies and they come in PDF, ePub, Mobipocket, & Kindle. Mobipocket only if the library supports it and the eBook has a Mobipocket version. So whatever of the four formats the eBook is available in and depending on Mobipocket support, the library gets what's available. So this makes it easier for the library and the users. So those entries that used to have say 1 PDF and 1 ePub could not possibly have 2 copies available in PDF, ePub, Mobipocket, or Kindle. The choice is up to the user.
Prior to Kindle lending, the Seattle Public Library had mobi books; now it doesn't. Additionally, the mobi software link disappeared. I've also noticed the same thing at other libraries I use.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2011, 02:36 PM   #66
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Prior to Kindle lending, the Seattle Public Library had mobi books; now it doesn't. Additionally, the mobi software link disappeared. I've also noticed the same thing at other libraries I use.
Right and it's not standard mobi format but whatever amazon is supplying - tpz or amz with DRM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #67
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Yeah, the generic mobi format disappeared from the system at the library I use. I had several in my wish list that I hadn't gotten around to grabbing, and these all converted to the kindle link.

So in the event that anyone wanted a non-kindle mobi version, that option seems gone now. (Not sure that anyone really would?)
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #68
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper28 View Post
Yeah, the generic mobi format disappeared from the system at the library I use. I had several in my wish list that I hadn't gotten around to grabbing, and these all converted to the kindle link.

So in the event that anyone wanted a non-kindle mobi version, that option seems gone now. (Not sure that anyone really would?)
I think the number of e-readers left that support .mobi is very few, if any.

Amazon owns the .mobi format and will not let an ereader manufacturer support both DRM .mobi and DRM .epub, so the makers were forced to choose one or the other (I remember many Bookeen owners here being upset when Bookeen switched to .epub).

Some still support the non-DRM .mobi (Jetbook does, I believe), but that's not library compatible.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #69
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
What happens when a borrowed Kindle ebook expires? How does the Kindle tell you?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 05:12 PM   #70
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
What happens when a borrowed Kindle ebook expires? How does the Kindle tell you?
What I saw on my Xoom yesterday (before I deleted it from my device) was a notice on the title/catalog listing - saying it was Returned. and it would not open -- it suggest that I Buy the book from Amazon.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #71
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Phoenix's Overdrive system shows 20,453 titles (the number has been climbing since yesterday). I've been able to check out several with no difficulty. The maximum time out is 14 days.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 PM   #72
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post

I assume it is the same as when you return one. I returned one early today and I got a message sent to my kindle saying the library book had expired. Also, it was removed from my Kindle.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:33 PM   #73
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I returned one early today and I got a message sent to my kindle saying the library book had expired. Also, it was removed from my Kindle.
Wha huh?!
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:50 PM   #74
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Wha huh?!
Truly, truly.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:06 PM   #75
kennyc

Not sure what issue people were having with checking out with their devices, but I just used my Xoom to check out a book and deliver to the Xoom...worked great.