Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypresstwist View Post
@tubemonkey: a color reader is heavy on the eyes if it's an LCD. I for one prefer eInk for reading.
@detayls: Nook Color will not be a huge success. In fact, it won't be of any success at all. It's just another Androit tablet (as someone has already posted before me). Nothing to make it differ from the other 9384 Android tablets out there. Amazon must be still laughing since Nook Color was first unveiled.
Hmmm. Amazon is launching their own Android app market. Now why would they do that? Certainly not in preparation for yet another Android tablet, since there are already 9384 tablets on the market, according to this.
No, Amazon would never do that, since they're too busy laughing at BN.

MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:39 PM   #17
Kosst Amojan
Addict
Kosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to beholdKosst Amojan is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Well I have zero inclination to read books on an lcd screen and I don’t read magazines or newspapers but I might have some use for an android tablet this size. I do love digital comics and while the color is a bit small it may be useful for that. If I can use it to check my blogs and RSS feeds (like this site) that would be a plus also. A deal breaker would be a good email client that won’t screw up my current Outlook setup. If it can do those things and do them well then I would really think about getting this
Kosst Amojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 05:01 PM   #18
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
Hmmm. Amazon is launching their own Android app market. Now why would they do that? Certainly not in preparation for yet another Android tablet, since there are already 9384 tablets on the market, according to this.
No, Amazon would never do that, since they're too busy laughing at BN.

ohh and then listen to all the Kindlebott Fanboys all of a sudden do a 180 and the Kindle Android LCD Tablet will be the greatest thing ever invented
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #19
Nokia179
Nokia179 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Thanks for the info monkey. I might get one and save it to see what type of hacks will come out for it. I already have a tablet laptop that I use for business so this would be cool for trips and stuff so I don't have to carry my lappy around. Still love my nook .
Nokia179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokia179 View Post
Thanks for the info monkey. I might get one and save it to see what type of hacks will come out for it. I already have a tablet laptop that I use for business so this would be cool for trips and stuff so I don't have to carry my lappy around. Still love my nook .
You're welcome; and welcome to the forum.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #21
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
ohh and then listen to all the Kindlebott Fanboys all of a sudden do a 180 and the Kindle Android LCD Tablet will be the greatest thing ever invented
Isn't Kindle already Android or Java in some form even without an LCD?
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #22
nklein
Enthusiast
nklein began at the beginning.

Device: ppc, soon a ipod touch
I think it will do great I've been looking for a new legit color ereader for awhile, not some chine ripoff !
anyone interested in shipping one to me in canada?
nklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #23
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I expect Amazon to release an Android tablet. I don't expect them to call it a Kindle. That would detract from their brand name, which is the real problem with an Android Nook. People might know the Nook or Kindle brand better than Android now,(though I doubt it) but with all the coming TV Android ads that will change very quickly.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:31 PM   #24
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Isn't Kindle already Android or Java in some form even without an LCD?
it runs on a linux OS, which technically no but in essence a yeah
Old 10-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #25
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
It's not for me, the screen is too small for my roleplaying game pdfs. It also lacks 3G, which in rural Eastern Indiana is a fail because of the dearth of WiFi hotpsots.

Plus the idea of reading more than a short while on an LCD screen is a non-starter for me. I know many times I've told people about how much I love my Kindle DX and I get a reaction like, "Ughh, I don't want to read on a computer screen!". Then when I explain to them how the e-ink screen is different from an LCD screen and show it to them I get a lot of interested questions about how it all works, what it can do and how much it costs.

B&N may find a niche here between the iPad and the Kindle, I don't know. I think it remains to be seen how far they limit the apps and the Android software, the more open they leave it the more likely it will be to succeed. Yes, it costs quite a bit less than an iPad, but it costs almost double what a Kindle WiFi does; does Nook Color do quite a bit more than a Kindle WiFi does, we'll see. Will someone who isn't a heavy reader want to invest $250 in a narrowly functioning device?
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #26
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I am not sure why I'll need 3G. Isn't it the idea that you get 3G for your phone and then use it to create your own WiFi Hot spot? In that case, WiFi should be enough. It doesn't make sense to get 3G or 4G for your phone and then pay an additional 3G for your iPad or tablet. Am I missing something here?
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #27
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
Yes, it costs quite a bit less than an iPad, but it costs almost double what a Kindle WiFi does; does Nook Color do quite a bit more than a Kindle WiFi does, we'll see. Will someone who isn't a heavy reader want to invest $250 in a narrowly functioning device?
But a Kindle can't display color pics from National Geographic and Nook Color can.

Also, it's not a narrowly functioning device. It has the hardware to stream music and video, surf the net, and to display brilliant, color images. It's more functional than a Kindle.

I'm looking for a device to read magazines and newspapers on; and I want the pics and videos that accompany the articles. The iPad is too big and too expensive. My netbook is too big. Nook Color is the right size and right price. Just waiting to see how it performs, before I make a final decision.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I am not sure why I'll need 3G. Isn't it the idea that you get 3G for your phone and then use it to create your own WiFi Hot spot? In that case, WiFi should be enough. It doesn't make sense to get 3G or 4G for your phone and then pay an additional 3G for your iPad or tablet. Am I missing something here?
Maybe they don't have a 3G phone? Even so, if B&N released a 3G version, I can guarantee they'll only allow it to be used to access their store. There's no way they'll let people surf the web on their dime.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:39 PM   #29
Reeses
Reeses is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by BexBits View Post
The market for this (the general public) has not a clue that there are even 10 Android tablets, much less 9384. They know Kindle, Nook, iPad, period.
I kinda resent that comment. Before I buy anything, I research and it. I know there are gazillions of tablets out there and frankly, I don't want one. I want a color ereader and if I have to deal LCD before mirasol comes out...oh well...
Reeses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #30
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
oh yeah my Droid X can turn into a mobile hotspot. yeah