Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-26-2020, 07:29 PM   #16
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
I prefer to see margin options in top,bottom,left,right order.
That tends to be the order of importance for me as well. If you only need to set the top non-zero, no need to list them all, you could do

Code:
{
margin: 0;
margin-top: 1em;
}
I often see style sheets giving all four as zero (margin-top, etc.) and wonder if they know about using just margin to set all four, either one zero or four zeroes.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:23 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
margin: 1em 0 0 0 ; is a lot less keystrokes than the 2 liner
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:10 PM   #18
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
I prefer the shorthand method as well:
margin:1em 0 0 0

It works for me and my reading devices. I have been told that some older models may not support that standard, though. Make sure your target devices use it!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 10:51 PM   #19
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
If you only need to set the top non-zero, no need to list them all, you could do

Code:
{
margin: 0;
margin-top: 1em;
}
Ah, that does work! I've wondered. I'll use that now .

Quote:
I often see style sheets giving all four as zero (margin-top, etc.) and wonder if they know about using just margin to set all four, either one zero or four zeroes.
I'm happy to use "margin: X 0 0 0" for specifying a top margin but I always find the order of the last three quite nonintuitive. I notice in your example you've said "top, etc." That's about where my brain gives up too .
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 11:00 PM   #20
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Ah, that does work! I've wondered. I'll use that now .

I'm happy to use "margin: X 0 0 0" for specifying a top margin but I always find the order of the last three quite nonintuitive. I notice in your example you've said "top, etc." That's about where my brain gives up too .
You start at the top and go clockwise, but I can't even remember that; sometimes I wonder if you start at the top or left (since we read left to right).
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:00 AM   #21
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
12, 3, 6, 9
CLOCKWISE
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #22
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... but I always find the order of the last three quite nonintuitive...
They had to come up with some standard...most countries understand clock-wise rather than widdershins and there are a significant number that don't read ltr.

...although it is depressing how many kids these days can't read an analog clock!
Old 01-27-2020, 02:25 PM   #23
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Just remember to go counter-clockwise when you're below the equator.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #24
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Just remember to go counter-clockwise when you're below the equator.
Damn you! Just when I thought I'd gained some sort of understanding, you throw this at me!

snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:52 PM   #25
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Re: using "shorthand" margin css (margin:1em 0 0 0 )

A long time back, there used to be a bug in Nook devices (and maybe others) that messed up margin settings if they were NOT in" LONGHAND".
I have used the "long" css ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
(post in 2014) the Nook bug -- it doesn't like margin settings in the "short form". (discussed on this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=223586.)

I'm trying to remind myself to always use the long form, explicitly defining margin-top, margin-left, etc.
Does anyone know if this is still a problem?
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:12 AM   #26
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
margin: 1em 0 0 0 ; is a lot less keystrokes than the 2 liner
margin: 1em 0 0; is even shorter
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:24 AM   #27
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Re: using "shorthand" margin css (margin:1em 0 0 0 )

A long time back, there used to be a bug in Nook devices (and maybe others) that messed up margin settings if they were NOT in" LONGHAND".
I have used the "long" css ever since.

Does anyone know if this is still a problem?
What's a Nook?!?!