Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-23-2019, 09:49 AM   #1441
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_S View Post
Wanting to know who the nine and four were I found the review I link to below. Not only does the review name names but it may also tell you if the book is for you.

https://townhall.com/columnists/jack...eview-n2184916

P.S. I have no idea who Jack Kerwick is and if he is affiliated with any political group. Ditto for "Townhall".
I wondered that too and whether there's a 'slant'.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:40 AM   #1442
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Vetting Academic/Technical Books When Ratings and Reviews Are Hard to Come By.

Is there anyone out there who is interested in purchasing an academic/technical book, but is stymied because ratings and reviews for the book are hard to come by (a common problem, because academic/technical books are typically not big sellers)?

To vet it, you look through previews of the book, which are somewhat helpful. But, you're still unsure of whether or not the book ls all that good (which usually will be more important to consider than for popular books, because academic/technical books tend to be much more expensive).

Two things that I have found to be helpful are these things:
1. To check the ratings of the author'(s) other books (if any) that he-she/they have published. Amazon makes this easy by hot-linking the author(s) names, which are found just underneath the title of the book. The hits may not be exhaustive--i.e., show every book that the author has written, but it usually shows many of them. Skim through the ratings. Are they good, bad, or middling? Chances are, ratings of other of the author's works are a fair to good indicator of the quality of the book that you are considering purchasing.
2. To go to scholar.google.com. You plug in the title and whatever other information is necessary to get a relevant result. Although I think that the purpose of the website originally was to provide information about academic/technical articles, and not books, the site has come (probably from users using it for this) to give information about books, as well.

You look at the end of the entry for the book that you're interested in. At the end of the entry, there usually will be a link, in blue, to "citations." You can follow the link(s), if you wish, but for our purposes, we want to focus on the number of citations of the book. That means, in other words, how many other publications have at least mentioned that book. A large number is generally very positive; a low number is generally very negative. However, you have to keep in mind that books published a long time ago will tend to have more citations (because they've had more time to accumulate them), and books published more recently will tend to have fewer (because they've had less time to accumulate them)!

May I give you a "for instance?" I was considering buying an academic/technical ebook today. I was unsure about buying it, even after doing the usual kind of examination. I checked the number of citations of the book, and there were 216--a number far higher than most books. I bought the book.

We all work (or have worked in the past) hard for our money. I hope that the above suggestions will help us to make the best use of it, by buying ebooks that truly will be useful to us.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2019, 05:30 AM   #1443
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Would anyone be interested in knowing all of the possible (meaning chosen at random) combinations of the 13 presidents?
It's 13!/(4! x (13-4)!) = 715. (The number of combinations of 4 from 13. Also the number of combinations of 9 from 13, of course.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #1444
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Humble Bundle--"Pay What You Want" for a Nine-Computer-Book Bundle!

I used to see posts about ebooks available via Humble Bundle quite often. But I haven't seen many lately (maybe I'm in the wrong forum or in the wrong threads).

Anyway, Humble Bundle is offering, at the current time, a bundle of nine computer science ebooks, from Mercury Learning, on a "pay what you want" basis.

You wanna know what the books are, right? They are:
- Game Development Using Python.
- Excel Functions and Formulas.
- Network Security and Cryptology.
- Excel 2016 Programming by Example.
- Photoshop Elements 2018.
- Access 2016 Programming by Example.
- Python Basics.
- Mathematics for Computer Graphics and Game Programming.
- Computer Analysis and Data Mining.

If you pony up $1, you can grab an additional 5 titles. If you pony up $8, you can get 9 additional titles. And if you pay $15, 12 titles will be unlocked. (A head's up: I noticed that several of the titles in the $15 or more bundle are in the "pay what you want" group).

I did not look for ratings/reviews of any of the books.

Anyway, please be generous. The money that you pay goes to support charity. The default charity this month is the Python Software Foundation, one that I am not familiar with, but probably helps keep the price of Python software down. However, you can choose your own charity from Humble Bundle's "database of thousands" (my emphasis, G).

The promotion is scheduled to end in about 13 1/2 days from now.

The linky.

Now I'm going to look into what charities that I might want to support with my donation . . . .
Old 02-26-2019, 10:07 PM   #1445
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
I see that a Ernle Bradford is only £1.49 at Amazon UK

Thermopylae: The Battle for the West

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermopylae...dp/B00BYAOEUC/

An impressively accessible narrative depicting the three-day battle for the pass at Thermopylae (the Hot Gates)--a critical contest in Xerxes's massive invasion of Greece. The bloody stand made there by Leonidas and his small Spartan army in 480 B.C. has been hailed ever since as an outstanding example of patriotism, courage, and sacrifice.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2019, 07:15 AM   #1446
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
I see that a Ernle Bradford is only £1.49 at Amazon UK

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermopylae...dp/B00BYAOEUC/

An impressively accessible narrative depicting the three-day battle for the pass at Thermopylae (the Hot Gates)--a critical contest in Xerxes's massive invasion of Greece. The bloody stand made there by Leonidas and his small Spartan army in 480 B.C. has been hailed ever since as an outstanding example of patriotism, courage, and sacrifice.

Why does the U.K. always get the best books?
Old 02-27-2019, 08:07 AM   #1447
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

FREE Ebook about the Origin of Modern Ideas about Love in America (Hint: It's France)

Penn (Pennsylvania) State University Press currently has some 65 or so Open Access (O.A.) titles in their catalog. For the benefit of newbies to the ebook world, Open Access is (practically?) synonymous with free.

Many times, university presses, probably more than any other type of publisher, publish books that have limited appeal, for one reason or another. However, this month's featured O.A. book is about a subject with almost universal appeal--it's about love.

Being in the "Penn State Romance Studies" series, this book is Love Cures: Healing and Love Magic in Old French Romance, by Laine E. Doggett.

This might be a good place to give you the Press' description of the book:
What is love? Popular culture bombards us with notions of the intoxicating capacities of love or of beguiling women who can bewitch or heal—to the point that it is easy to believe that such images are timeless and universal. Not so, argues Laine Doggett in Love Cures. Aspects of love that are expressed in popular music—such as “love is a drug,” “sexual healing,” and “love potion number nine”—trace deep roots to Old French romance of the high Middle Ages. A young woman heals a poisoned knight. A mother prepares a love potion for a daughter who will marry a stranger in a faraway land. How can readers interpret such events? In contrast to scholars who have dismissed these women as fantasy figures or labeled them “witches,” Doggett looks at them in the light of medical and magical practices of the high Middle Ages. Love Cures argues that these practitioners, as represented in romance, have shaped modern notions of love. Love Cures seeks to engage scholars of love, marriage, and magic in disciplines as diverse as literature, history, anthropology, and philosophy.

Sounds interesting, doesn't it?

The free download is available in PDF only. For the benefit of those who care about such things, purchasing the Kindle mobi would set you back $33.99!

This is a good Penn State University Press webpage to find out more about the above ebook, and to "purchase" it, if you desire.

(I encourage you to look over the full list of Penn State University Press' "Unlocked" Books. They tend to be far less esoteric than the typical books from a university press. Pennsylvania has a lot of interesting history, and like most university presses, it seems, Penn State University Press' books--at least the O.A. ones--tend to be about the state (or at least the region in the state) where the university is located. Remember: all of ebooks on the above webpage are free!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-28-2019 at 12:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:02 PM   #1448
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
Why does the U.K. always get the best books?
Why does the US often get better special offers?

But in this case

$3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J48FD4W
Old 02-27-2019, 06:39 PM   #1449
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Ernle Bradford's books are e-pub in the US by Open Road Media, and go on sale often, but usually only for a short duration, for $1.99, or even sometimes $0.99. So, if you really want this title in the US, just put an eReaderIQ watch on it for $1.99 and it'll probably come up soon. Open Road titles go on sale so often that I don't bother posting them any more, except when they seem to pick up a new author, figuring that folks who want them already have them, although apparently that's not necessarily the case.

It's much more unusual to see Open Road titles go on sale for anything approaching reasonable prices in the UK, and in fact, this UK edition is Endeavour, not Open Road, so it appears that Endeavour may have the UK rights to most of Bradford's titles. In a quick check of a handful of Bradford's titles, all except one were Endeavour, with only The Great Siege, Malta 1565 as an Open Road title. This is a little odd, because my memory was that Open Road had the Bradford titles in the UK too, but I suppose things could change, or more likely, that I could remember incorrectly.

And, BTW, while checking this out, I noticed another Endeavour-pub Bradford title, The Mighty Hood, on sale in the UK for £0.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mighty-Hood...dp/B01DW9353E/

Quote:

But in this case

$3.99

Last edited by sufue; 02-27-2019 at 06:44 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:31 AM   #1450
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

But in this case

$3.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
Ernle Bradford's books are e-pub in the US by Open Road Media, and go on sale often, but usually only for a short duration, for $1.99, or even sometimes $0.99. So, if you really want this title in the US, just put an eReaderIQ watch on it for $1.99 and it'll probably come up soon. Open Road titles go on sale so often that I don't bother posting them any more, except when they seem to pick up a new author, figuring that folks who want them already have them, although apparently that's not necessarily the case.

It's much more unusual to see Open Road titles go on sale for anything approaching reasonable prices in the UK, and in fact, this UK edition is Endeavour, not Open Road, so it appears that Endeavour may have the UK rights to most of Bradford's titles. In a quick check of a handful of Bradford's titles, all except one were Endeavour, with only The Great Siege, Malta 1565 as an Open Road title. This is a little odd, because my memory was that Open Road had the Bradford titles in the UK too, but I suppose things could change, or more likely, that I could remember incorrectly.

And, BTW, while checking this out, I noticed another Endeavour-pub Bradford title, The Mighty Hood, on sale in the UK for £0.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mighty-Hood...dp/B01DW9353E/
Sorry, you guys. I thought that everyone would catch the fact that it was a backhanded way of saying that "this is a good post." I did think about the fact that someone might take what I said literally, and that I needed to do something (else) to tip people off, but I finally decided that having that ridiculous smiley ( ) and the hyperbolic "always" would do the job. In retrospect, I should have done something additional. <---- my genuine feeling now.

I do not have any impression that any country or geographical area gets better deals than another. I rather think that it is pretty much even, over time.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 02-28-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:34 AM   #1451
lxpose
Connoisseur
lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Amazon UK Daily Deal

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn - The Gulag Archipelago (Vintage Classics) - £1.99

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07JCWJ8TC

Note that this is the "officially approved" abridged edition.
lxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:01 AM   #1452
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Amazon UK Daily Deal: The Real James Herriot for £0.99

This is the biography by his son. It seems to have good reviews. I've bought it, but not read it yet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #1453
Little.Egret
Wizard

Charles River Editors, Free

Ancient Greek Technology: The History and Legacy of the Technological Advances Made in Greece during Antiquity

The Severan Dynasty: The History and Legacy of the Ancient Roman Empire’s Rulers Before Rome’s Imperial Crisis

The Byzantine Army: The History and Legacy of the Byzantine Empire’s Military during the Middle Ages

The Portuguese Empire and Africa: The History and Legacy of Portugal’s Exploration and Colonization of the West African Coast

The Cajuns: The History of the French-Speaking Ethnic Group in Canada and Louisiana

Boss Tweed: The Life and Legacy of the Notorious Politician Who Ran Tammany Hall in New York City

Russian Cyber Warfare: The History of Russia’s State-Sponsored Attacks across the World

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...+river+editors
Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #1454
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I live in California, so this one looked pretty interesting to me. But it also gets pretty good ratings on Amazon - 4.3 stars.

California: A History (Modern Library Chronicles Series Book 23) by Kevin Starr has dropped to $1.99 at Kindle US as part of the Kindle Daily Deal, matched at Kobo.

Kindle US: https://www.amazon.com/California-Hi...dp/B000XUDHVG/
Kobo US: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/california-10

Spoiler:
Quote:
“A California classic . . . California, it should be remembered, was very much the wild west, having to wait until 1850 before it could force its way into statehood. so what tamed it? Mr. Starr’s answer is a combination of great men, great ideas and great projects.”—The Economist

From the age of exploration to the age of Arnold, the Golden State’s premier historian distills the entire sweep of California’s history into one splendid volume. Kevin Starr covers it all: Spain’s conquest of the native peoples of California in the early sixteenth century and the chain of missions that helped that country exert control over the upper part of the territory; the discovery of gold in January 1848; the incredible wealth of the Big Four railroad tycoons; the devastating San Francisco earthquake of 1906; the emergence of Hollywood as the world’s entertainment capital and of Silicon Valley as the center of high-tech research and development; the role of labor, both organized and migrant, in key industries from agriculture to aerospace. In a rapid-fire epic of discovery, innovation, catastrophe, and triumph, Starr gathers together everything that is most important, most fascinating, and most revealing about our greatest state.

Praise for California

“[A] fast-paced and wide-ranging history . . . [Starr] accomplishes the feat with skill, grace and verve.”—Los Angeles Times Book Review

“Kevin Starr is one of california’s greatest historians, and California is an invaluable contribution to our state’s record and lore.”—MarIa ShrIver, journalist and former First Lady of California

“A breeze to read.”—San Francisco
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 04:29 PM   #1455
Little.Egret
Wizard

Charles River Editors, Free

The Bronze Age in Europe: The History and Legacy of Civilizations Across Europe from 3200-600 BCE

Aleister Crowley: The Life and Legacy of the Notorious Cult Leader and Novelist

The Chicago Outfit: The History and Legacy of the Organized Crime Syndicate Led by Al Capone

https://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?url=sear...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s/?url=search-...+river+editors