Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-09-2018, 11:28 AM   #61
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I believe j.p.s. was talking about distributing a dockerfile. It's a config file only. No software would be distributed. The dockerfile merely creates the container. But unless there's a direct url which can be used to download the official ADE installer, you'll still be in a situation where the ADE installer will need to be hosted somewhere by someone so that the OS running inside the docker container could consistently access the correct version.

Then you'd have to map shared storage with the host machine where WINE could store its registry (so you didn't have to register that instance of ADE each and every time the container was started), as well as mapping ADE's library location to be shared with the host machine so the downloaded ebooks would persist after downloading.

None of that takes into consideration what needs to happen to even get an ADE-Running-in-WINE-in-a-Linux-Docker-Container in the first place.

It's just not worth the trouble in my opinion. Just fire up a VirtualBox XP guest with ADE installed on it and be done.

EDIT: Also ... Docker has considerable overhead to begin with. If people weren't crazy about a WINE prefix taking a ton of disk space, just wait until you see how much Docker, a basic Linux server image, all the extra software needed to install WINE, and the WINE software needed to run ADE in WINE will take up! Better beef up /var (or configure Docker to store its containers/images elsewhere).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-09-2018 at 03:22 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #62
patdavid
patdavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Ah, sorry - was just sort of talking out loud and not really sure if it would make sense (technically or otherwise, which I see now it does not - thanks for the history).

I'm happy to just keep coming back and updating instructions as needed to help others. (and thank you to everyone who have done amazing work so far)
patdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:48 PM   #63
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Thanks DiapDealer. No doubt I'll end up playing around with Docker one day, but not for ADE.

@patdavid. I think you're right. For the moment the best course seems to be just keeping the instructions up to date as long as possible. I would suggest we all keep a copy of the ADE Installer and pre-requisities for our own use. The link for ADE is currently from an archive.org snapshot of Adobe's download page, so who knows how long it will last. I also think there is probably little demand for extensive work on scripts and containers and the like to make it easier for the masses who can't or won't follow a relatively simple procedure or who are allergic to the shell. In fact, I don't think there are any such masses. Linux users who love reading ebooks, care about DRM and want ADE on their boxes are I suspect a tiny group to start with. I think we have done enough to make it easy for each other and hopefully will continue to solve problems as required. I for one am happy to assist anyone who does encounter problems so long as they are willing and able to help themselves. The instructions as they stand or the ones on Pat's blog should be sufficient even for a Linux newbie to get things working, particularly with help from this forum. Hand holding can go only so far. It is not rocket science to copy and paste a few commands, extract a cab or copy a few dll files. Nor to post error messages if things go wrong.

I followed the instructions to install into a Mint VM and they worked flawlessly, including the copying of the dll's. I'm fairly happy with their current state. So far we have no reports of failures with the updated version.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 06:02 PM   #64
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I followed the instructions to install into a Mint VM and they worked flawlessly, including the copying of the dll's. I'm fairly happy with their current state. So far we have no reports of failures with the updated version.
What version of Mint was that? 19?

I tried and failed to get either ADE or K4PC installed under Wine in Mint 19.1. I tried the stable Wine package (3.0) and the 'development' one (3.6). I never successfully managed to install dotnet 3.5. The K4PC install failed right away with a few messages to the console (the usual stuff about various things not being implemented). I tried both 1.17 and 1.24.

I even went back earlier in the thread and read my own instructions on setting up docker. Unfortunately I had pointed it to use Wine-staging which has obviously moved on.

Very frustrating.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #65
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@latepaul. I no longer have that VM, though it probably would have been Mint 19. I'm downloading Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit now which I will later install in a VM and see if I can see what is going wrong.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #66
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I successfully run KindleForPC v1.17 on LinuxMint 18 (Sarah) under Wine 1.9.19. I use "PlayOnLinux" to easily manage Wine versions and make it easy to move between different Wine prefixes.

I was never able to get ADE to run correctly under Wine.

Regarding Docker, I do not use that to run K4PC, but I do use it to run "Calibre-Web" - an alternate web server interface for Calibre (as opposed to using the built-in Calibre server). Many people here also run Calibre, so I've included my Docker stuff related to Calibre below, in case it will be of benefit to anyone. Note that the "letsencrypt" container includes both NGINX webserver and the LETSENCRYPT free HTTPS certificate management.

Here is the docker-compose.yml file I created:

Code:
version: '3'

networks:

frontend:
    driver: bridge

services:

letsencrypt:
    image: linuxserver/letsencrypt
    container_name: letsencrypt
    ports:
      - 80:80
      - 443:443
    volumes:
      - /var/opt/docker/letsencrypt/config:/config
    environment:
      - EMAIL=myemailaddress@gmail.com
      - URL=my.domain_name.net
      - VALIDATION=http
      - TZ=America/Denver
      - PUID=65534
      - PGID=65534
    networks:
      - frontend
    depends_on:
      - calibre-web
    restart: always

calibre-web:
    image: linuxserver/calibre-web
    container_name: calibre-web
    volumes:
      - /var/opt/docker/calibre-web/config:/config
      - /var/opt/calibre:/books:ro
    environment:
      - PUID=1002
      - PGID=1001
    networks:
      - frontend
    restart: unless-stopped
And here is the NGINX config file I created:

Code:
server {
	listen 80;
	server_name _;
	return 301 https://$host$request_uri;
}

server {
	listen 443 ssl default_server;
	root /config/www;
	index index.html index.htm index.php;
	server_name _;
	include /config/nginx/proxy-confs/*.subfolder.conf;
	include /config/nginx/ssl.conf;
	client_max_body_size 0;

location / {
		try_files $uri $uri/ /index.html /index.php?$args =404;
	}

location ~ \.php$ {
		fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
		fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
		fastcgi_index index.php;
		include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
	}

location /calibre-web {
		auth_basic "Books";
		auth_basic_user_file /config/nginx/.htpasswd-books;
		proxy_pass              http://calibre-web:8083;
		proxy_set_header        Host            $http_host;
		proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
		proxy_set_header        X-Scheme        $scheme;
		proxy_set_header        X-Script-Name   /calibre-web;
	}
}
I simply type "docker-compose up -d" to bring the system up, and "docker-compose stop" to shut it down. If I want to update all the containers with newer images I'll use "docker-compose down" instead of "stop".

Users would access Calibre at:

Code:
https://my.domain_name.net/calibre-web
Note: I turned off authentication in calibre-web and replaced that with authentication done by NGINX. In real life I am moving away from basic .htpasswd authentication into HTTPS client certs, but I have not fully implemented that for all my servers yet.

Both my docker-compose.yml file and my nginx config file are quite a bit more complicated than I show above - because I also run airsonic, booksonic, nextcloud, plex, etc. - but I stripped out all that other config so you only see the stuff relevant to Calibre. Note that my Calibre library is located at /var/opt/calibre and that is bind-mounted read-only into the calibre-web container so that users accessing the web interface cannot corrupt any of my Calibre data.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:02 PM   #67
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Thanks guys - turns out I actually had a backup of my wineprefix directories (one had ADE the other K4PC). Restoring that and using it with wine 3.0 worked.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:36 PM   #68
darryl
Wizard

@latepaul. Fantastic. There certainly are problems with latest Mint at the moment. Worked great up until dotnet installation, which failed with both Wine Stable and Devel. Don't know yet if this is peculiar to Mint and/or Debian Ubuntu or if it applies generally. If the problem is with Wine versions then the howto is pretty well useless to new users. Also, I noticed the latest Mint does not have lib32-gnutls which means that even if dotnet installed you would have a great installation of ADE which could not download encrypted files! Though that should be easily solved.

Best thing to do is keep the wineprefixes with everything installed.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:42 AM   #69
darryl
Wizard

Important update. I've added a note to the Wiki article under Prerequisites. On Arch Wine 4.13 breaks a working installation with a wine32.dll error. Downgrading Wine to 4.12 fixes the issue. It is likely the problem is with Wine 4.13 and not peculiar to Arch. I have no idea why at this point and doubt I will bother looking into it, as I'm happy to stick with Wine 4.12 for the foreseeable future.

Any constructive suggestions to get it working with 4.13 are of course welcome.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:35 AM   #70
dom134
dom134 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hello, I know this is an old thread, but has anyone managed to get ADE 2.01 working with a later version of wine?
Thanks
dom134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #71
darryl
Wizard

Working fine here on Wine 5.2.
Old 03-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #72
dom134
dom134 began at the beginning.

Device: none
well, that's strange!
I installed wine 5.0 and then used winetricks to successfully install dotnet3.5sp1. I was then able to install ADE from the command line. No requirement for Lutris at all.
Happy again!
dom134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 11:45 PM   #73
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom134 View Post
well, that's strange!
I installed wine 5.0 and then used winetricks to successfully install dotnet3.5sp1. I was then able to install ADE from the command line. No requirement for Lutris at all.
Happy again!
Congratulations.
Old 04-25-2021, 07:14 AM   #74
michaelbr
Connoisseur
michaelbr began at the beginning.

Device: Android 12
Problem to install ADE 2.0.1 in Linux

I have a dual boot MX Linux with Windows 8.1 (Windows currently is corrupt), trying to install ADE through Wine/winetricks, had problem during install, should I post it here or open a new thread?
ps: wine/winetricks should be working fine, I have Line installed and it's working fine (except the audio, which is not working).

Here's my configuration:
Code:
$ wine --version
wine-6.6 (Staging)

$ winetricks --version
20181203 - sha256sum: b4b29a961905bfed1db98f10e2f09a356b719861fc8602ffbf813a22579b2848
Here's the output when I tried to add ADE wineprefix using this command
Code:
$ WINEPREFIX=~/.adewine WINEARCH=win32 wineboot
Code:
wine: created the configuration directory '/home/michael/.adewine'
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk wine-staging  is a testing version containing experimental patches.
002c:fixme:winediag:LdrInitializeThunk Please mention your exact version when filing bug reports on winehq.org.
0050:err:vulkan:wine_vk_init Failed to load vulkan library
0050:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0050:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {6d5140c1-7436-11ce-8034-00aa006009fa}, hr 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:apartment_get_local_server_stream Failed: 0x80004002
0048:err:ole:start_rpcss Failed to open RpcSs service
0040:fixme:winspool:AddPrinterW DocumentPropertiesW on printer L"Deskjet_F2400" fails
0040:fixme:winspool:AddPrinterW DocumentPropertiesW on printer L"PDF" fails
0064:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
0064:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
0064:err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
006c:fixme:file:NtLockFile I/O completion on lock not implemented yet
006c:fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_PERFORMANCE_INFORMATION
006c:err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
006c:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
006c:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 5)
0064:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
0064:fixme:msi:internal_ui_handler internal UI not implemented for message 0x0b000000 (UI level = 1)
009c:err:winedevice:ServiceMain Failed to load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\win32k.sys"
00bc:err:winedevice:ServiceMain Failed to load L"C:\\windows\\system32\\win32k.sys"
wine: configuration in L"/home/michael/.adewine" has been updated.
What I'm doing wrong? How can I fix this?
ps: please note that I'm still a learner of Linux/Wine.
michaelbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbr View Post
I have a dual boot MX Linux with Windows 8.1 (Windows currently is corrupt), trying to install ADE through Wine/winetricks, had problem during install, should I post it here or open a new thread?
ps: wine/winetricks should be working fine, I have Line installed and it's working fine (except the audio, which is not working).
You can have a look at the Wiki and see if the directions work for you.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/ADE_2.0.1_Linux

If you still have a problem with ADE 2.0.1 under Wine, you can have a read of the following thread on MR and ask for help if you still cannot get it working after reading the thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283324
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote