Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-19-2021, 10:12 AM   #1
haxonhax
haxonhax began at the beginning.

Device: remarkable + maybe: Nova 3 Color
Question can you extract a recovery.img from update.upx?

Hi all, I'm having some issues with my device (purchased from onyxboox dot com and not boox.com), the details of which are listed here: r/Onyx_Boox thread (permalink: archive.org)

I think the way around my issues will be to flash my device with a recovery.img. Can I get this from an update.upx?
haxonhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 07:51 PM   #2
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxonhax View Post
... with a recovery.img. Can I get this from an update.upx?
Maybe, maybe not.
The problem is that they don't update recovery often and I've not seen it in an update.upx
You might be able to get one off somebody who has rooted their Onyx.

I'm still confused about this Russian onxyboox.com vs. Chinese boox.com
Why would the Russians bother with separate software?
Why would the Chinese not stomp on them or warn on their website?
Ok, I don't understand business.
Are differences in the Russian version clearly and easily seen?

(My Poke3 came from boox.com)
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2021, 06:55 AM   #3
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
They have a different software load out that caters better to the Russian market. Different default reader better for Russian, Russian server and store options etc. I think in Russia FB2 is the main ebook file. They are Boox products too, in fact they have more variants. It's just confusing because one reseller sells them worldwide which I imagine Boox is okay with pr at least tolerates.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 10:40 AM   #4
Galunid
Zealot
Galunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and graceGalunid herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: KPW3, Kobo Clara HD, Onyx Boox Nova 2
You should be able to https://github.com/Hagb/decryptBooxUpdateUpx, but you'll most likely have to extract the strings yourself (the ones provided in the repository are for international version, not the russian one)
Galunid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
letrot
letrot began at the beginning.

Device: tolino vision 4 hd
@haxonhax which device do you have? Find someone with a boox.com purchased identical device who can magisk-root himself a boot.img for his own device (or use your's as you've already rooted yours) and have him "fastboot boot patched-boot.img" his device so he can then dump his recovery partition for you. He'd not have to permanently root his device, only boot it into that patched image once.
I'm assuming here that the devices (hardware) are identical from the russians vs. the boox.com source. Assuming...

I had a similar problem and someone ;-) was so kind to help me out dumping his recov.img for me, but don't tell anyone :-D
letrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert