Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
e-ink device wanted

Never mind. I just saw the Remarkable ad.

Last edited by crossi; 07-14-2021 at 10:25 AM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 12:15 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Never mind. I just saw the Remarkable ad.
It makes a terrible Reader as it only does PDF and ePub it does by converting to PDF. So I highly suggest you still look at what else is available before buying a Remarkable (meh!).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Although I do not own this device, I have watched around 10 videos concerning it. Based upon those videos - in addition to reading numerous posts on Mobileread - I will concur with Jon.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 03:15 PM   #4
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
with the most recent updates, reMarable's handling of epubs have improved (at least visually from what i see on mine). but i'm not sure if what i'm looking at is a converted pdf or in native epub format.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:15 AM   #5
timebug
Ancient Sage
timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.timebug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Reader
Call me a luddite, but I am quite happy with my Kobo Touch ereader! It does what it says 'on the tin' as it were, and most ebooks I get hold of are in epub format,which suits me perfectly. My friends all favour Kindles, but so long as you are satisfied with what you get,all well and good.But I would certainly check what is available before jumping in, and read reviews of the potential device that you fancy, before making a decision that may come back on yourself!
timebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Remarkable does not handle most library ePub as it does not do DRM with ePub.

IMHO, Remarkable is not all that remarkable.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:12 PM   #7
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

IMHO, Remarkable is not all that remarkable.
true...the reMarkable device does not handle anything with DRM.

but the primary purpose of the device is to take notes. and it is better than almost anything else for this task. the fact that pdf is the reMarkable's choice of format is that you can annotate. that it's able to view epub is just gravy.

no one is arguing that its implementation of epub handling is great. but it's improved to be good enough. and like i said, it's just gravy.

the OP didn't even give a reason for wanting the reMarkable, which i assume he/she wants because whatever previous content was removed and all that's left is "Never mind. I just saw the Remarkable ad." anyone watching a reMarkable ad would notice that there is no mention of ePub handling at all. so he/she may not even want to read ePubs.

the only reason i posted about the improved handling of ePubs is to inform that it's gotten better at it and it is no longer a pain if anyone needed to load up an occasional ePub.

no one is looking to the reMarkable for it's ebook reading capabilities.

Last edited by rem736; 07-21-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 05:50 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

So they don't handle purchased DRM'd ebooks also.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:25 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Does The Remarkable still convert ePub to PDF or does it now read ePub natively?
Old 07-23-2021, 03:21 PM   #10
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
Does The Remarkable still convert ePub to PDF or does it now read ePub natively?
not sure. but it does look way better now than it did on first release.

when handling epubs, you can change the font size, and all formatting retains. so it appears to handle it natively, as you cannot change the font size of the text in a pdf and still retain formatting.

but then again, perhaps the way it works on the reMarkable is that it takes the ePub, does the formatting change (font size, justification, page margins, and line spacing) you want, creates a pdf internally and presents to the viewer the internal pdf version.

i'm just not sure how it actually handles ePubs.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:39 AM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Never heard of the reader before, now that I have I shall probably do my best to forget it again.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #12
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Never heard of the reader before, now that I have I shall probably do my best to forget it again.
Calling it a reader is doing it a disservice. It is NOT intended as a primary reader, it is a note taking and sketching device that can read some epubs.

For most people here, who care mainly about the reading functions, it is not a great device. For others who need the note taking/sketching abilities, it sounds like an excellent device.

I haven't used one but I did pre-order one. I cancelled when the first couple batches came out and the (lack of) reading functions became apparent.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 05:26 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Calling it a reader is doing it a disservice. It is NOT intended as a primary reader, it is a note taking and sketching device that can read some epubs.

For most people here, who care mainly about the reading functions, it is not a great device. For others who need the note taking/sketching abilities, it sounds like an excellent device.

I haven't used one but I did pre-order one. I cancelled when the first couple batches came out and the (lack of) reading functions became apparent.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote