Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #1
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Hisense A5C, A5 Pro CC, color e-ink phones

Today's the day. Here's the news about Hisense e-ink phones with a color display.

But Hisense didn't just release one new e-ink phone today, they released three. You'll have to use Google Translate, but here's a Japanese site with prices and more details.

Their top model color e-ink (the 128 GB, fast processor, colour display) goes for ¥1999 Chinese yuan, which, using today's exchange rates, is $282 USD.

The three phones they released are called.
• A5C with a color display, costing ¥1699.
• A5Pro with a greyscale display, costing ¥1599.
• A5Pro CC with a color display and either 64 GB, costing 1799, or 128 GB, costing ¥1999.

Looks promising!

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-24-2020 at 01:33 AM.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Advert
Old 04-23-2020, 12:09 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Here's a google translate link for the Japanese page
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:17 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems to me that the A5 Pro CC only has the one colour display.

The A5 Pro has higher-end electronics and a greyscale eInk display
The A5C has lower-end electronics, but a colour eInk display
The A5 Pro CC has the higher-end electronics AND the colour eInk display

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-23-2020 at 12:26 PM.
Old 04-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #5
skynet84
Enthusiast
skynet84 is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I read also some other website but they don't specify a Dual screen in A5 Pro Cc. ��
skynet84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Abacus News gives release dates fro the A5C and A5ProCC

Quote:
the A5C is one of the cheapest smartphones you can get right now. It will be available in China for 1,699 yuan (US$240) on April 29. The upgraded A5Pro CC -- which has a quicker refresh rate, NFC and fingerprint recognition -- will launch on June 1 starting at 1,799 yuan (US$254).
I'm not going to be buying one anytime soon, but if I were, I think I'd want to get the A5ProCC.
Old 04-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Was it not established in another thread that it will probably be impossible to add Google services and apps to these. Graduated it cannot be done with existing models, despite many attempts. See xdadevelopers, Reddit, usual suspects
That, and the lack of customer service in the west trumps having colour e ink, for me
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
norweger
Addict

Looks like it's their chip manufacturer, UNISOC, who got a little too eager in the press release. They wrote: "The phone uses e-ink for its secondary back display and LCD for the main one." So yeah, it seems like they're all single display phones. Good that you noticed, pdurrant.

@stumped. We're able to get Google Play on the Hisense A5 for 10 euro extra, as described here. Though I dunno if that includes the Google Services Framework, or whether there are any major issues with the tradeoff: no OTA updates. Assuming the new A5 models would sell well, we could very well see something similar, i.e. Cect Shop offering them for a premium with Google Play.

Last edited by norweger; 04-23-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:34 AM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've adjusted the first post to not mention dual displays.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:35 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I'm hoping that HiSense will decide to release a world-wide version with Google Services.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:23 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'm hoping that HiSense will decide to release a world-wide version with Google Services.
they would need permission/ licence/ certification or whatever from google for that to happen ?

from what I read, there is a deliberate block in place that stops sideloading google services attempts from working. it's not clear why that is. Probably to support chinese censorship, as HiSense is 40% state owned ?
wikipedia: Owner
Qingdao State-Owned Assets Supervision & Administration (39.5%)
Old 04-24-2020, 03:55 AM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
they would need permission/ licence/ certification or whatever from google for that to happen ?

from what I read, there is a deliberate block in place that stops sideloading google services attempts from working. it's not clear why that is. Probably to support chinese censorship, as HiSense is 40% state owned ?
wikipedia: Owner
Qingdao State-Owned Assets Supervision & Administration (39.5%)
I beleive that google services are deliberately blocked on the Chinese model. That doesn't mean they couldn't release a world-wide model. But it's possible that they have no interest in doing so.

I'm looking forward to actual user reviews of this new E-Ink screen. I do wonder whether Amazon have something up their sleeve for this year.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:12 AM   #13
skynet84
Enthusiast
skynet84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I beleive that google services are deliberately blocked on the Chinese model. That doesn't mean they couldn't release a world-wide model. But it's possible that they have no interest in doing so.

I'm looking forward to actual user reviews of this new E-Ink screen. I do wonder whether Amazon have something up their sleeve for this year.
Of course models without Google apps a part of the chinese market. But Hisense released A6 WITH Google apps only in Russia market, not anywhere else in other country of the wolrd.
So it's impossible to buy one, unless you go to Russia!
Why Hisense is making this so impossible??
They made the same mistake with A6L (successor of A6) without Google Apps.
skynet84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 06:37 AM   #14
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by skynet84 View Post
Of course models without Google apps a part of the chinese market. But Hisense released A6 WITH Google apps only in Russia market, not anywhere else in other country of the wolrd.
So it's impossible to buy one, unless you go to Russia!
Why Hisense is making this so impossible??
They made the same mistake with A6L (successor of A6) without Google Apps.
It's not a mistake
Their chinese masters want to block easy access to uncensored news, blocking Google store and services helps with that
Old 04-24-2020, 08:47 AM   #15
Tar
Tar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watch

Google is useless bloatware.
I am very happy Hisense is not including it.
It is a major selling point for me.

There are lots of phones that bow to their USA/NSA masters and include Google services. Go ahead and buy those as well as a dedicated e-reader for your convenience.

May I suggest discussing the phone for what it is and not for what it isn't? So that we could have a more constructive discussion.

Now I'm off to fill a Google Captcha to be able to post this. :)
Tar is offline   Reply With Quote