Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2021, 10:28 PM   #1
joweka
joweka began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1
Question vim / taskwarrior possible?

hi,

got a Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1 today from a friend. Trying out the 'Konsole' in pbchess I thought how nice it would be to have my main productivity tools at the time, 'vim' and 'taskwarrior', running on e-Ink.

'vi' seems to run in 'Konsole' but the interface is verry buggy (probably Konsole does not interpret ANSII sequences)..

how difficult would it be to have a completely working 'bash'-shell as a plugin? or at least vim, which could also be used as some kind of GUI for taskwarrior? I'm thinking of something similar to 'termux' on Android.
or does something like this already exist, could not find anything about it other than installing a full blown Debian distro where I'm not sure it will run on my device.

greetings,
joweka
joweka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:54 PM   #2
joweka

update:

found inkvt ( https://github.com/llandsmeer/inkvt ) and managed to compile it with the ko-reader toolchain ( https://github.com/koreader/koxtoolchain)

so vi is kind of running though without an OTG keyboard it's a little bit hard to use

still I can't compile taskwarrior ( https://taskwarrior.org/download/ )

I set the environment with
Code:
source refs/x-compile.sh kobo env
and in the taskwarrior directory i ran
Code:
cmake -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=release .
but cmake exits with the following errors:

Code:
cc: error: unrecognized command-line option '-mfpu=neon'
cc: error: unrecognized command-line option '-mfloat-abi=hard'
cc: error: unrecognized command-line option '-mthumb'
any suggestions how to fix that? I guess the toolchain is in some way not up-to-date with the taskwarrior code or something?
Old 07-20-2021, 05:38 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Cross-compilation is not for the faint of heart.

CMake is ... hilariously tricky to deal with at the best of times.

I'll let you figure out what happens when you combine the two .

As a rather strong hint, look at: https://github.com/koreader/koreader...akeCross.cmake
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 05:42 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not familiar with taskwarrior, but cross-compiling vim should be fairly easy, on the other hand.

I've settled for nano instead in KoboStuff because it's slightly more self-contained, which is helpful because FAT32 is the worst. (It's also slightly less arcane to newcomers, but let us not delve into that any further ^^).
Old 07-21-2021, 12:58 AM   #5
joweka

Quote:
Not familiar with taskwarrior, but cross-compiling vim should be fairly easy, on the other hand.
thanks for pointing this out, it motivated me to check my build environment and I enventually found out I had to set the CC/GCC env variables with prefix
Code:
arm-kobo-linux-gnueabihf-
still having issues with missing libraries/headers but maybe I can fix that with enough time
Old 07-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #6
pascal jakobs
Enthusiast
pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by joweka View Post
update:

found inkvt ( https://github.com/llandsmeer/inkvt ) and managed to compile it with the ko-reader toolchain ( https://github.com/koreader/koxtoolchain)

so vi is kind of running though without an OTG keyboard it's a little bit hard to use
I'd like to use this terrific terminal on my clara but the labels of the OSK are far too tiny to be usable. I join a screen dump that shows the keyboard size of the built in browser and inkvt's. No contest.
I'd love to have the knowledge to fix it myself ...
Could somebody give me a direction please
Thanks for help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	key.png
Views:	163
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	188285  
pascal jakobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That'd take basically re-implementing the way the OSK is currently drawn ;o).

(It's currently poking directly at the font data and unpacking the bitmap by hand, it should be possible to let FBInk do the drawing, and that could include scaling, you'll "just" have to play with computing exact positioning properly).

Or, keep doing it by hand and also (re)implement scaling .
Old 07-22-2021, 04:48 AM   #8
pascal jakobs
Enthusiast
pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!pascal jakobs , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo Libra 2
Thanks you,
I'm going to read the source and try to understand what you said.
On another hand, don't you think it could be worth adding it to your kobostuff?
Have a nice day
pascal jakobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 06:11 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Not until it sees wider testing .
Old 07-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #10
joweka

by the way, since we're talking about keyboards, has anyone managed to integrate the USB host driver of the XSoar kernel ( https://github.com/hjr/XCSoar-Kobo-Build/ ) into a firmware patch or something so one could use that for others things than flying around?

sadly I'm not into compiling kernels all that much so I have to ask ...

would be a great improvement for my future low-power-sunlight-agnostic-outdoor-commandline-producitvity-thingy which I think this kobo could/should be
Old 07-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Possibly unnecessary on newer devices? (c.f., https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=340418).
Old 07-26-2021, 09:41 PM   #12
joweka

already tried that one, but after

Code:
mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
echo host > /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/role
it tells me
Code:
-ash: can't create /sys/kernel/debug/ci_hdrc.0/role: nonexistent directory
in dmesg, the following appears when pluggin' in the keyboard
Code:
PMU:charger_adp_isr
PMU:charger_usb_isr
PMU:charger_in_isr
PMU:charger_irq_work In
PMU:_config_ricoh619_charger_params set SDP charging.
usb plugged 1-0
PMU:charger_irq_work Out
testet with the latest avaiilable firmware, 4.26.16704

maybe they did not include the OTG drivers in the release for the 'Mark 6' hardware?