Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2021, 11:17 PM   #1996
ksks
ksks began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis 3
A huge thank you to Kobo for adding the MyWords feature and the Oxford dictionaries to Kobo devices. It's made a world of difference.
I realize the features were only rolled out a few months ago, but here are some suggestions for further improvement:

-Ability to look up a word within the dictionary (not just within books). In the Kindle, after looking up a word, you can 'Open dictionary' (opening a larger window) and long-press any word within the dictionary definition to look up that second word. This is very useful but not yet available on the Kobo.

-The 'view in book' feature in MyWords is only listed once even if you've looked up the same word across multiple books. In the Kindle, if you look up the same word across multiple books, all the example sentences are saved in the 'Usage' tab; whereas in the Kobo, only the example sentence where you first pressed 'Add to MyWords' is saved.

-The 'view in book' feature disappears if you've removed the original book. This could be fixed by introducing a 'Usage' tab like in the Kindle, where the original sentence is saved forever (without needing to link to the book).

-Ability to use the search function within a Pocket article. This might fix the bug where the 'view in book' feature doesn't work for MyWords that you saved while reading a Pocket article. Currently, you simply get '0 results found'.

Thanks
ksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 02:01 AM   #1997
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksks View Post
-Ability to look up a word within the dictionary (not just within books). In the Kindle, after looking up a word, you can 'Open dictionary' (opening a larger window) and long-press any word within the dictionary definition to look up that second word. This is very useful but not yet available on the Kobo.
Yes it does. If I long press on a word in the dictionary popup, it will show that word in the full screen dictionary. If I just tap in the pop, or the arrows in the bottom-right corner, it shows the current word in the full screen dictionary.

And you can also use the search to look up a word in the dictionary. Open the search from anywhere, select the dictionary in drop-down on the top right and enter a word.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 06:46 AM   #1998
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Get rid of varying white space at the bottom of pages; make it an optional.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:21 AM   #1999
ksks
ksks began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Lumi 2, Kobo Libra H2O, Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes it does. If I long press on a word in the dictionary popup, it will show that word in the full screen dictionary. If I just tap in the pop, or the arrows in the bottom-right corner, it shows the current word in the full screen dictionary.

And you can also use the search to look up a word in the dictionary. Open the search from anywhere, select the dictionary in drop-down on the top right and enter a word.
You're right, I had it confused with the fact that there isn't an ability to look up a word within the full-screen dictionary (which would be a nice-to-have, but not essential considering that you can get around it by manually searching for that word in the drop-down menu). Thanks for pointing that out.
ksks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 02:40 AM   #2000
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I'd love the ability to add multiple library cards. I have access to Overdrive at 3 different libraries. Switching between them works great in the Libby app, but it is a pain to do so on a Kobo e-reader.
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 04:31 AM   #2001
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
What I'm missing is a way to lock the 'handedness' of my Forma. I can lock it in portrait (vs. landscape), but I can't lock it in buttons-right vs. buttons-left. And it has the annoying habit of flipping upside down when I don't want it to. I've been messing about with the developer options to control the gyrosensor, but haven't been able to make it stop doing that.

Just give me a way to completely disable the gyrosensor already, Kobo!
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 05:27 AM   #2002
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
I'd love the ability to add multiple library cards. I have access to Overdrive at 3 different libraries. Switching between them works great in the Libby app, but it is a pain to do so on a Kobo e-reader.
If you connect the Kobo device to your OD account, you should get any books borrowed using any of the libraries attached to the OD account downloaded to the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:00 AM   #2003
alehel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you connect the Kobo device to your OD account, you should get any books borrowed using any of the libraries attached to the OD account downloaded to the device.
The whole Overdrive account thing has me very confused to be honest. When I go to my libraries overdrive website (deichman.overdrive.com) there is no way to log in using an overdrive account. If I login on the www.overdrive.com I get to se the collection, and I've added my libraries, but where do I specify my library card? If I select a library, I just get forwarded to that libraries site where I can only login using my library card and not my overdrive account.

How can I find out what library cards are connected to my Overdrive account?
Old 08-03-2021, 07:27 AM   #2004
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
The whole Overdrive account thing has me very confused to be honest. When I go to my libraries overdrive website (deichman.overdrive.com) there is no way to log in using an overdrive account. If I login on the www.overdrive.com I get to se the collection, and I've added my libraries, but where do I specify my library card? If I select a library, I just get forwarded to that libraries site where I can only login using my library card and not my overdrive account.

How can I find out what library cards are connected to my Overdrive account?
If you go into Libby App, you will see all the cards connected to your Overdrive account. Additionally, if you go to www.overdrive.com and you sign in with your email (I've just done it), you see the associated cards.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 07:42 AM   #2005
alehel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
If you go into Libby App, you will see all the cards connected to your Overdrive account. Additionally, if you go to www.overdrive.com and you sign in with your email (I've just done it), you see the associated cards.
I really feel like an idiot for not figuring this out 😂, but where in the Libby app can I log into Overdrive? Only option I have is to add library cards. No other login options that I can see.

On the Overdrive website, when I log in, I can "Save" libraries, but nowhere to add cards.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:53 AM   #2006
alehel
Zealot

Well, would you look at that. I finally got it to work. Downloaded the Overdrive app. I've only tried doing it through the Overdrive website and Libby app before, but it worked fine when I used the Overdrive app. Tried borrowing books from 2 different libraries and it they both synced over!

Last edited by alehel; 08-03-2021 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #2007
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Glad you've been able to do it... and sorry not having answered before, as I didn't have Libby App at that moment.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:42 AM   #2008
alehel
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Glad you've been able to do it... and sorry not having answered before, as I didn't have Libby App at that moment.
I only brought it up this morning, so I'd say that was a pretty quick fix
Old 08-13-2021, 01:40 AM   #2009
alehel
Zealot

Just got my Elipsa. Maybe a bit of a niche request, but I would really like to be able to play the Sudoku game using the pen.
Old 08-21-2021, 08:14 PM   #2010
headlight
headlight began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Please give an option to go back to the old format for the Annotations view.

The latest firmware update on my Kobo Glo HD has changed the way highlights display in the Annotation view. Longer highlights are not fully displayed anymore. They are only partially displayed (with an ellipsis at the end), and now you need to tap and hold to bring up the pop-up menu, and then choose "View Details," in order to see the full highlight.

This slows down reading the highlights a lot. An option/setting to display the highlights in full in the Annotations view, like it was before, would be very helpful.
headlight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo