Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 01:19 AM   #1
cleocalliope
cleocalliope began at the beginning.

Device: none
Error with Clip Editor

I've been using Sigil for some time now and I'm fairly good with it.

Recently, however, it has developed a bug I'm not sure how to fix. I use the clip editor to store several bits of code I use a great deal. Every time I add one now I get an error message:

'Sigil has encountered a problem. Please report it on the issue tracker, including the details from this dialog.'

The link takes me to a page that no longer exists, so I'm trying to get help here. The information in the details is this:

Error info: Critical: OleSetClipboard: Failed to set mime data (text/plain) on clipboard: COM error 0x800401d0 (Unknown error 0x0ffffffff800401d0) (The parameter is incorrect.)
Sigil version: 0.8.4
Runtime Qt: 5.4.0
Compiled Qt: 5.4.0
Platform: Windows SysInfo ID 176

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cleo
cleocalliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:19 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Perhaps the clips file is corrupted. Delete the clips file (back it up first), so Sigil will create a new one. Then you can add the old clips in the new file one by one.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2015, 02:45 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleocalliope View Post
Recently, however, it has developed a bug I'm not sure how to fix. I use the clip editor to store several bits of code I use a great deal.
Maybe the clips contain invalid or non-text data.

Did you copy the clips from a third party app. e.g., an HTML editor?

Can you post an example of a clip that causes this message to be displayed?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #4
cleocalliope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Maybe the clips contain invalid or non-text data.

Did you copy the clips from a third party app. e.g., an HTML editor?

Can you post an example of a clip that causes this message to be displayed?

No, I wrote the clips myself. They include completely innocuous things such as the clip for a extra space ( &nbsp; ), a dash ( &ndash; ), and a line break ( <p class="line">____________________</p> ). What you see there in the parenthesis is exactly what's in those particular clips.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #5
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,
According to a Google search ..

See the bottom of this posts thread on the Qt forum:
https://forum.qt.io/topic/55491/auto...elected-text/6

That error actually comes from the Windows clipboard and is not caused by Sigil or Qt. On Windows the Windows clipboard can be shared by other applications. Please try closing other open applications. You might want to restart your machine to force the Windows clipboard to be cleaned out.

KevinH

Last edited by KevinH; 08-12-2015 at 10:36 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 12:42 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
You might want to restart your machine to force the Windows clipboard to be cleaned out.KevinH
Good Grief you don't need to restart Windows to clear its clipboard!

Use one of of these ==>> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+clear+clipboard+

IMO adding a right click menu item to Desktop is 'neatest', requires registry editing, otherwise a shortcut. You could even use AHK to make it a keyboard shortcut.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-13-2015 at 12:51 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:42 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Amazing.

(When I clicked on the Imgtfy link, then marched back, I got this message: Thought that was cool? Try the iPhone App or Grab Some Stickers. Yeah, it was cool.)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:57 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Amazing.

(When I clicked on the Imgtfy link, then marched back, I got this message: Thought that was cool? Try the iPhone App or Grab Some Stickers. Yeah, it was cool.)
@Notjohn works for me - maybe your browser's been spamjacked

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	140992

BR
Old 08-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
No. I got the lmgtfy app ad when I hit the back button too. This being the internet, however, I thought very little of it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Interesting, for me the end of search bar text has focus so backspace does a rubout, but the back button takes me to the ad - browser addons probably come into play.

@notjohn - I hadn't come across term 'march back' before - must be merrycanese. I interpreted it as 'retreat', as in 'get me outta here pronto'

BR
Old 08-13-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
cleocalliope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
IMO adding a right click menu item to Desktop is 'neatest', requires registry editing, otherwise a shortcut. You could even use AHK to make it a keyboard shortcut.

BR
That seems to have solved the problem. I now have a short cut for clearing the clipboard and the error message is all gone.
Old 08-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #12
cleocalliope

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Hi,
According to a Google search ..

See the bottom of this posts thread on the Qt forum:
https://forum.qt.io/topic/55491/auto...elected-text/6

That error actually comes from the Windows clipboard and is not caused by Sigil or Qt. On Windows the Windows clipboard can be shared by other applications. Please try closing other open applications. You might want to restart your machine to force the Windows clipboard to be cleaned out.

KevinH

Clearing the clipboard has done the trick. Who knew. No more error message.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleocalliope View Post
That seems to have solved the problem. I now have a short cut for clearing the clipboard and the error message is all gone.

I run three clipboard enhancers - persistent history, scrubber, and searcher. I cut and paste a lot (a hell of a lot) from multiple applications including to/from Sigil, and I use the Sigil clips feature quite a lot. I don't have this problem. Clearing the clipboard for me would be a disaster - my history buffer is 400 entries long - it's my memory enhancer.

And, of course the clipboard is shared by applications - that's what the N billion Windows use it for. I don't doubt there is something wrong but my bet is that it's in Qt. Windows clipboard code hasn't changed in decades - more's the pity, I wouldn't need all these gadgets is they enhanced it a bit

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-14-2015 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:36 AM   #14
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Interesting, for me the end of search bar text has focus so backspace does a rubout, but the back button takes me to the ad - browser addons probably come into play.
Adblock plus has been effective at stopping me from seeing the ad, no matter what I try...

Quote:
@notjohn - I hadn't come across term 'march back' before - must be merrycanese. I interpreted it as 'retreat', as in 'get me outta here pronto'

BR
If it's 'murican, it ain't any 'murican I ever heard of.
I would make the same guess about it's meaning as you did.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:36 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Adblock plus has been effective at stopping me from seeing the ad, no matter what I try...
poor diddums, resized just for you

BR