Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
SandyBrooks
SandyBrooks began at the beginning.

Device: Sony pocket
nook with higher contrast screen arrival date/pricing

I've seen that the kindle dx came out with the higher contrast screen and that the kindle 2 is due out soon with the improved screen as well. I was wondering if anyone had heard any rumors about when the newer eink screens would be available on the nook, and if the price will then go back up.

I have a sony pocket which I love, but with the price drop of the nook, I am thinking of buying one so that I can have a larger screen and more features. I'm trying to decide if I should buy a nook now, or just wait for the next version.
SandyBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
We will all be speculating when the next nook will be out.... It could be this year (unlikely) or next year (possible). You will have to decide if you mind the wait. There will always be something better coming out. I think the wifi Nook is a good deal at $150. While higher contrast would be nice, I am happy with the Nook now and don't see a reason to upgrade for the next 2-3 years (at least).
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
malligator
Enthusiast
malligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enoughmalligator will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 3
I thought the Nook already had the higher contrast screen? No?
malligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #4
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
We will all be speculating when the next nook will be out.... It could be this year (unlikely) or next year (possible). You will have to decide if you mind the wait. There will always be something better coming out. I think the wifi Nook is a good deal at $150. While higher contrast would be nice, I am happy with the Nook now and don't see a reason to upgrade for the next 2-3 years (at least).
I agree. And I'm not sure how much more contrast we need. Mine looks terrific.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:48 PM   #5
SandyBrooks

I am happy with the screen on my sony 300 which to my eyes looks identical to the nook, only smaller. However, I think better contrast and whiter background would make an ereader easier to read, especially in lower lighting situations. I use a book light on mine in some situations where I wouldn't need additional lighting for a paper book.
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
SandyBrooks

Well, I went to best buy just to look at the nook again and bought the wifi version. Now I'm just waiting for it to charge fully so I can play with it. The sony pocket which I feel strangely attached to, more so than any other electronic device, will be going up for sale.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBrooks View Post
Well, I went to best buy just to look at the nook again and bought the wifi version. Now I'm just waiting for it to charge fully so I can play with it. The sony pocket which I feel strangely attached to, more so than any other electronic device, will be going up for sale.
Good for you. I think you made the right decision.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:24 AM   #8
Lastblade
Nookie are we
Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lastblade ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks with and without color
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyBrooks View Post
Congrats. I didn't know BB carry the wifi version in store. All the BBs here only stock the 3G version.
Lastblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 AM   #9
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Congrats Sandy, as someone else posted, there will always be something else better to come along. That's the nature of electronics. I think you made a good decision.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
SandyBrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastblade View Post
Congrats. I didn't know BB carry the wifi version in store. All the BBs here only stock the 3G version.
It's funny, they only had a display tag/price for the 3g version, but had the 3g and wifi version stocked below.

I am happy with it so far, but glad I don't care about the web browsing 'cause it is so slow/doesn't work half the time. It's really nice to have the 6 inch screen and more choices for font size. I also checked it out in bright sunlight and the eink didn't fade like it does on my sony. Page turns are also much faster. The page turn click is louder though so I need to figure out how to fingerswipe to turn pages or the husband might get irritated.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #11
SandyBrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
Congrats Sandy, as someone else posted, there will always be something else better to come along. That's the nature of electronics. I think you made a good decision.
Yeah, I know that is true I think I struggled with it 'cause I just bought my sony a couple of months ago, but that was back when the nook was still like ~$260 or something.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I own both the Nook and the Pocket at the moment, and once you get the fingerswipe down, I think you'll be very happy. The trick is that it takes the just the lightest of swipes.

And I agree that the Pocket is an adorable little device. Too bad it has such meager memory and no card slot
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote