Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
footprints
footprints began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Global Wireless
Kindle DX Covers - available retail in Europe?

I just got my new Kindle DXi, and I ordered it without a cover. I'd like to get one and was wondering if there are any retail stores in Europe that might carry DX covers?
footprints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
jft
Enthusiast
jft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
I haven't found any retail store (or online shop) in Europe selling Kindle DX stuff.

Good covers are produced by m-edge and they ship to Europe. Just check their shop. Shipping costs are very high.

I ordered this for roundabout 17€. It is also sold by some folks at amazon.com where you can read some opinions about it. In my eyes it does the job.

Edit: you could also use a 10" sleeve designed for the 10" netbooks. That should be available everywhere.

Last edited by jft; 01-21-2010 at 11:53 AM.
jft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 03:32 AM   #3
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Try do a search on eBay, they have lots of Kindle covers and the shipping is usually less than that you pay in a webshop. Bought myself a Kindle DX original cover from eBay for $30 + $10 shipping to Europe from the U.S. Shipping took about a week.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:20 AM   #4
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
So sad but true ... shipping from M-edge to europe is a pain btw. Cost as much as premium express delivery worldwide but takes (at least for me) now already 9 days and still no package arrived *yawn*

I fear they send it by ship :-)
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jft View Post
I haven't found any retail store (or online shop) in Europe selling Kindle DX stuff.

Good covers are produced by m-edge and they ship to Europe. Just check their shop. Shipping costs are very high.

I ordered this for roundabout 17€. It is also sold by some folks at amazon.com where you can read some opinions about it. In my eyes it does the job.

Edit: you could also use a 10" sleeve designed for the 10" netbooks. That should be available everywhere.
Hi jft,

The one you suggest @ebay looks a rather interesting cover.
Did you already receive it? Could you please make a short review?
In particular, how protective do you find it?
Does the internal pocket (I see of the picture) risk to scratch the display?
And more importantly, just how hard and sturdy is it if you, say, put a pressure on the front cover? Does it bend or is it somehow hardened inside?
Finally, when you turn the front cover back, how thick does the whole thing (Kindle DX + cover) become?

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Footprints,

You could try Mobile Fun (www.mobilefun.co.uk). I just bought a Tuff-Luv cover from them for my Kindle 2. The price was a bit lower than Amazon's, and it arrived within two days.

I don't know if they have any covers for the DX, but it's worth a look.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
noreve.com are French - and they sell Kindle DX covers. Pricey though.

Try to search for 'kindle dx cover' ot ebay.co.uk. Not all sellers may ship outside UK, but some probably does.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
jft
Enthusiast
jft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXi
A few opinions about the ebay cover. As I said it is the same as sold by amazon.com.

The comments there persuaded me.

Material:

It is cheap synthetic leather and the Kindle looks like a slim personal organizer. The stitches are not perfectly aligned and the fold between the two covers is slightly askew.

But it is really durable and fits the Kindle perfectly. The covers are strengthened by metal plates and do not bend much. So that's great for carrying the Kindle in bags (no cracks on the screen). Also the fastener is not a mechanic button, it is magnetic. It closes almost automatically.

So in my opinion the cover is really protective.

The internal pocket is no thread. After one week I haven't noticed it scratching or even touching the screen.

Most times the Kindle with cover is lying in my left hand just as a book would, so my right hand is free. Flipped to the back you get 2.5-3x the size of the Kindle and the cover overhangs 3cm on the left side. So that's not the prefered way to use it.

Shipping took 13 days to Germany. I ordered it with the Kindle and it arrived one day ahead
jft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #9
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Ok i got mine http://www.medgestore.com/products/kindledx-go.psp after 10 days of delivery.

Its awsome for my needs. Its not that protective as it could be if it would have metal plates attached or something like that but its enough for taking ith with you and still "taking care" - if you know what i mean.

The point is it is very light and small. The Kindle DX is still good to handle and with the cover flipped to the back it is much better to read then without a sleeve in my opinion.

Most important for me is the quality. Its a very fine genuine leather with premium stiches. Last but not least i was looking for a sleeve which doesn't use the kindle lock system cause i have read much negative issues about broken frames which sound logical to me cause the DX is much heavier then the K2 and it is obviously that is is not good for the DX to throw by his own weight to a small metal clip.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote