Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 10:09 PM   #1
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
DNA Tests?

Who else has done this? I tested with 23 and me.

I only got the Ancestry part of 23 and me but uploaded my raw data to Gedmatch and tried the eye color predictor.

Gedmatch. It's pretty accurate.

No. The closer up picture is not my eye. It's the predicted color. They could tell this from my spit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171014_210524.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	159459   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171014_210450.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	159460  
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Who else has done this? I tested with 23 and me.

I only got the Ancestry part of 23 and me but uploaded my raw data to Gedmatch and tried the eye color predictor.

Gedmatch. It's pretty accurate.

No. The closer up picture is not my eye. It's the predicted color. They could tell this from my spit.
Totally cool. It is because eye color is made up of two genes.
You get half your eye color from your mom and the other half from your dad.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 10:31 PM   #3
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, Cinisajoy. A paternal Great Grandmother had eyes that color but her grandson, my father, had blue-grey eyes. My Mom's eyes are about that color, too. Her mother's (Grammy's) eyes were an eye lighter brown/hazel with a little green.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:44 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, Cinisajoy. A paternal Great Grandmother had eyes that color but her grandson, my father, had blue-grey eyes. My Mom's eyes are about that color, too. Her mother's (Grammy's) eyes were an eye lighter brown/hazel with a little green.
In that case if you have a kid with a man with blue eyes in his ancestry have a 25% chance of a blue eyed child.
*unless I have your sex wrong in which case change man to woman.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

So did you learn anything you didn't know?
Advert
Old 10-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #6
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Hee. I am a girl and have Turner Syndrome. No kids here. My brother has blue grey eyes and his wife does, too. All three of their kids have blue eyes.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:10 PM   #7
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Oh, and I kind of did learn something or you reminded me of something I learned and forgot. Now that you mentioned it, I have a vague memory of doing the eye color chance percentage thing in HS biology but can't remember details.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:18 AM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Oh, and I kind of did learn something or you reminded me of something I learned and forgot. Now that you mentioned it, I have a vague memory of doing the eye color chance percentage thing in HS biology but can't remember details.
Dominant gene is Brown or B. Recessive gene is blue or b.
So if two BB mate automatic brown eyes.
If two bb mate automatic blue eyes.
If a BB and a bb mate either brown, green or hazel. No way to do blue.
If a BB and a Bb mate again no blue. 25% chance of a BB brown
If two Bb mate 25% chance of BB or bb. 50% chance of brown green or hazel.

Draw a box with 4 squares. Dad on top, mom beside. Then you get this
B b
B BB Bb
b Bb bb

Was that what you were thinking?
Old 10-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #9
covingtoncat73
Wizard

That is the one.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I'm baffled by the whole DNA testing phenomenon.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:26 AM   #11
covingtoncat73
Wizard

Ah, it is just a lark, Catlady, and has gotten less expensive, so more people are doing it.

I didn't get any surprises, which disappointed me. My Ancestry results jived with 200-300 years of paper trail.

What I am interested in is what my results, haplogroup and such, show about the ancient migratory patterns of far ancestors. Also, stuff like both Mom and I have the Gene that causes black hair in Europeans and South Asians. Also, I have interesting markers for metabolism and also for addictive personality.

Last edited by covingtoncat73; 10-15-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:37 AM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm baffled by the whole DNA testing phenomenon.
An old friend of mine was able to find her birth mother via the DNA test her kid’s bought for her.

She always had a name, but had never been able to find anyone. After her adoptive parents and sister passed, she had mentioned wanting to try searching again.

She found her mom, and a full sister, and lots of step-siblings as well.

I’d like to do the test, just to see if my Welsh background is as prevalent as we think it is.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 12:32 PM   #13
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Well, I can understand if a person has a specific reason, like being adopted. But I see the TV commercials where somebody finds out about previously unknown Native American ancestry or Scottish ancestry and I think, so? Without specific people to tie it all to, it doesn't seem to matter.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #14
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Well, I can understand if a person has a specific reason, like being adopted. But I see the TV commercials where somebody finds out about previously unknown Native American ancestry or Scottish ancestry and I think, so? Without specific people to tie it all to, it doesn't seem to matter.
I would kind of like to know my paternal grandmother's heritage. We know nothing about her mom.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:03 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I would kind of like to know my paternal grandmother's heritage. We know nothing about her mom.
I think it also helps to verify things sometimes. For example my dad found evidence that we are related to Sitting Bull (an ancestor married his aunt) so such a test could at least verify that I do have some Sioux blood. Also there is a composer Jan Josef Ignác Brentner who lived from 1689 – 1742 who was Czech (my direct ancestor was from Germany) and I wonder if we might be related. My surname is also Brentner. I don't know if he had any kids (if not he may have had siblings or cousins and I may descend from one of them).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote