Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-30-2017, 06:15 AM   #346
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad mini 3, Kindle PW2
In big epub files (Delphi Classics Series, the biggest one being the complete works of Charles Dickens at around 61 megabyte) the pop-up menu doesn't work, you tap and hold on a word and the menu pops up but you can't tap on define, translate, etc. it's sort of a glitch I think. I reproduced this bug with 6 or 7 files and it happened every time and tested the books with several other e-readers and it worked just fine.
nimapourkarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:00 AM   #347
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimapourkarimi View Post
In big epub files (Delphi Classics Series, the biggest one being the complete works of Charles Dickens at around 61 megabyte) the pop-up menu doesn't work, you tap and hold on a word and the menu pops up but you can't tap on define, translate, etc. it's sort of a glitch I think. I reproduced this bug with 6 or 7 files and it happened every time and tested the books with several other e-readers and it worked just fine.
It seems that it's got something to do with the Whole-Book Page Numbering setting, unchecked it and everything works fine with big books with thousands of pages.

Last edited by nimapourkarimi; 08-07-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Advert
Old 08-06-2017, 11:58 PM   #348
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
I think it'll work even with whole-book page numbering turned on, if you give MapleRead enough time to finish the page numbering background process. When it's done, the (whole-book) percentage displayed turns into a page number.

Note that this whole-book page numbering business actually counts the real number of layout-dependent (including font size) pages like iBooks. Many other apps support only ADE page numbers, which basically just count the number of characters, regardless of layout, which thus may give you the same ADE page number when you "flip" to the next page.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #349
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur

Thank you so much cedhax, turned on the whole-book page numbering and left the book open for 5 minutes and everything works fine now.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #350
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When can we expect to see ADE page numbering?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2017, 04:54 PM   #351
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you so much cedhax, turned on the whole-book page numbering and left the book open for 5 minutes and everything works fine now.
That sounds a lot longer than I thought though. I have never experienced such a long delay. Perhaps you really get a very long book running on a slow device? Just wonder how long it would take iBooks to do the same thing, as iBooks initially blocks you from even reading when it computes the page numbers.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:11 AM   #352
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
That sounds a lot longer than I thought though. I have never experienced such a long delay. Perhaps you really get a very long book running on a slow device? Just wonder how long it would take iBooks to do the same thing, as iBooks initially blocks you from even reading when it computes the page numbers.
It's a really large epub file, 60 Mbs, 24000 pages with lots of images, and the device is an iPad mini 3.

Last edited by nimapourkarimi; 08-08-2017 at 04:56 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:42 AM   #353
cedhax
Addict

Quote:
It's a really large epub file, 60 Mbs, 24000 pages with lots of images, and the device is an iPad mini 3.
No wonder! It seems that your book is about 50 times as thick as a book rendered in about 500 pages (number of pages roughly matching print version) I recently read with MapleRead SE on my iPad Air 2. It only takes a few seconds of background processing.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #354
sbaylor
Addict
sbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: iPad, iPad mini, iPhone
MapleRead 1.7.1 is available for download now!

Version 1.7.1 is a maintainence release.
sbaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:23 AM   #355
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Bug in latest version

I've noticed a new bug in the latest version of MapleRead. When I open a book from the library, MapleRead now shows both the usual book header info as well as the iOS header info at the same time. If I tap the centre of the screen twice, the iOS info is removed from being displayed incorrectly while reading the book, however, if I page through the book without tapping the centre screen to "refresh" the display, both sets of info are displayed in the header area. I have attached a screenshot of this bug in action. Please look at the top of the image to see what I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2750.PNG
Views:	233
Size:	519.6 KB
ID:	158518  
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:56 PM   #356
sbaylor
Addict
sbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beautysbaylor does all things with Zen-like beauty

@slantybard - Thanks for your bug report.

With a different book, I can now reproduce the screenshot like what you posted above. However, I can always get rid of the iOS status bar (the one on top with the clock) when I toggle the toolbar by tapping the screen center twice. Locking the screen and restarting the app seem to make the bug show up less frequently. I have never seen this bug before with MapleRead I wonder if this is yet another side effect of iOS 10.3.3 and the latest iOS SDK. Anyway, now that I can reproduce the bug, it should be much easier to find the fix.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #357
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bug in iOS 11

@sbaylor - Just confirming that the bug I wrote about above still exists with MR and iOS 11.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:56 AM   #358
tbergman
Connoisseur
tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.tbergman knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle
MapleRead losing place in book

I know this has been talked about before. It just happened to me and I've discovered a way to reproduce it every time.

I have an original iPad Air, IOS 11.0.1. MapleRead SE 1.7.1. I keep the iPad side switch set to Lock Rotation, not Mute. In MapleRead settings, Lock Rotation is on, this may be the key, the problem does not occur with Lock Rotation off.

Steps to reproduce:
1) With the iPad locked in the vertical position, open a book to somewhere other than the beginning.
2) Exit using the Home button on the iPad.
3) Double-click home and remove MapleRead from the iPad memory. This simulates not using the iPad/MapleRead for a while.
4) Unlock the side switch and rotate the iPad to the horizontal position.
5) Lock the side switch.
6) Open MapleRead, your place is lost.

I'm not certain if all the above steps are required but I have tried this with several books and my place has been lost each time. If I have the iPad in vertical orientation, my location in the book is always properly restored.
tbergman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:26 AM   #359
sbaylor
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbergman View Post
I know this has been talked about before. It just happened to me and I've discovered a way to reproduce it every time.
Thank you very much for your detailed bug report. Just to confirm that we can now reproduce it.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #360
slantybard
my parent's oops...

Hi sbaylor, just wondering if we will see any updates to MR in the near future addressing the previously discussed bugs?

Thanks again for the great app!

Tags
mapleread