Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
kikibobo
kikibobo began at the beginning.

Device: literati
Can only import books from one of two MDE accounts

First time poster, and I'm not very familiar with ebooks, but I tried to find this info in a previous thread and could not.

I had an Adobe Digital Editions user account using my hotmail email address. I purchased a few books (from Borders, which is now out of business) in epub format. My hotmail account got hacked and closed. I now have a new gmail account, and have authorized Digital Editions under a new user account ID. I've purchased some new books and can read them on the PC and ereader (literati). The problem is I cannot read the books I purchased and installed under the old (hotmail) account. My ereader says they are registered under a different user.

I have installed calibre and my new books are coming up just fine. But when I point calibre to the books under the old (hotmail) user account I get a message that the book is locked by DRM.

I de-authorized Digital Editions and re-authorized it under my old (hotmail) ID. I can read the "old" books in Adobe, but Calibre still will not open them.

Adobe customer support suggested I contact the books' authors and have them send me a new download of the epub.

Is there a way to get calibre to recognize both my Adobe user accounts at the same time? I would like to get the books into calibre and then into my ereader without the DRM so I don't run into this problem if I ever change my email account again. (As a note, I also changed my PC recently, if that makes a difference. Thanks
kikibobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikibobo View Post
Is there a way to get calibre to recognize both my Adobe user accounts at the same time?
It is actually the 3rd party DRM-stripping plugin that is "recognizing" your Adobe account. Based on its README, it can handle two accounts at the same time but in your case I suggest switching to the old account to free all your old ebooks and then switching back to the new account. To do this in Calibre go to Preferences -> Miscellaneous -> "Open calibre configuration directory" and move the ".der" file (perhaps identified as a security key) in that folder to a different folder (i.e. save it for later). Then try importing your old ebooks again. The plugin should create a .der file for the old account at this point. Once you are done, restore the original .der file (keep the other one in case you need it later).

If you need for info, ask at Apprentice Alf's blog.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 09:40 AM   #3
kikibobo
kikibobo began at the beginning.

Device: literati
Thanks

It worked...much appreciation.
kikibobo is offline   Reply With Quote