Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
Somebody made a font tester

as an epub, for testing various bold/italics and extended
characters (e.g. umlauts, etc).

I downloaded one copy, but can't find the thread where it was
posted or who kindly provided it. The epub author is Ann Onymous

i'm thinking of makng something to test epub feature support
(for graphics and other layout stuff)and thought this might be a
good place to start, but want to ask the owner first.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
as an epub, for testing various bold/italics and extended
characters (e.g. umlauts, etc).

I downloaded one copy, but can't find the thread where it was
posted or who kindly provided it. The epub author is Ann Onymous

i'm thinking of makng something to test epub feature support
(for graphics and other layout stuff)and thought this might be a
good place to start, but want to ask the owner first.
I was the originator of that epub. You and anyone else have my full permission to use it, modify it, etc. I just ask that you make the result available to the other users of this forum.

As for the author, it was a toss up between using Ann Onymous and Ima Pseudonym. What can I say? My family is convinced that my sense of humour is 3 sigmas east of strange.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 04-11-2013 at 11:50 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You might want to ask about this in the epub forum. I am pretty sure there are examples to do all sorts of testing that could be modified to test Kobo specific things.

And David, I know the feeling. My family seem to think the same thing about me. It's just a pity that none of them have a sense of humour.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks DNSB.

Here's my first stab a it.
Still lots more to do and having some really funky results
with special characters.
Thus far about the best (but by no means compete) is with
Liberation Serif ttf (sideloaded) and a koboified epub.

I would be interested to hear what results others get.
I will continue posting updates over time.
Attached Files
File Type: epub EpubFeaturePeeker.epub (135.6 KB, 687 views)
Old 04-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
DomesticExtremis
Addict

Well it seems having the right fonts installed makes all the difference.
Gnu-free and DejaVu fonts do a pretty good job on special characters in
their serif and sans forms,not so good for the monotype face.
Also, koboifying the epub makes a big difference to which languages get
rendered.
It could take quite some time to get through all the permutations.
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
Well it seems having the right fonts installed makes all the difference.
Gnu-free and DejaVu fonts do a pretty good job on special characters in
their serif and sans forms,not so good for the monotype face.
Also, koboifying the epub makes a big difference to which languages get
rendered.
It could take quite some time to get through all the permutations.
I ended up installing Microsoft's Arial Unicode MS font just to allow me to see the various pages without having to switch fonts. While Arial MS has it's issues, I think it has the best unicode support of any font currently available.

I made a few small changes to split the ligatures out from the font styles, remove the 5 blank pages after the Arabic test page and then renamed the file to .kepub.epub to allow handing the direction directives. I've attached that version to this message along with a file from the Azardi website which contains the UN Declaration of Human Rights in 28 languages. The embedded DejaVu font does not work properly but using the Arial Unicode font lets me see most of the text files. Amharic, Malayam and Thai are among the missing.

Regards,
David
Attached Files
File Type: epub EpubFeaturePeeker.kepub.epub (133.4 KB, 453 views)
File Type: epub UDHR_28_Languages.kepub.epub (3.11 MB, 668 views)

Last edited by DNSB; 04-13-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My modified Charis SIL in the Kobo font thread works very well. It has all the characters in these font tests.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My modified Charis SIL in the Kobo font thread works very well. It has all the characters in these font tests.
That's the major reason I'm using your modified font -- the odd names after the font styles and special characters are from various books I've been reading.

Regards,
David
Old 04-14-2013, 03:04 AM   #9
DomesticExtremis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I ended up installing Microsoft's Arial Unicode MS font just to allow me to see the various pages without having to switch fonts. While Arial MS has it's issues, I think it has the best unicode support of any font currently available.

I made a few small changes to split the ligatures out from the font styles, remove the 5 blank pages after the Arabic test page and then renamed the file to .kepub.epub to allow handing the direction directives. I've attached that version to this message along with a file from the Azardi website which contains the UN Declaration of Human Rights in 28 languages. The embedded DejaVu font does not work properly but using the Arial Unicode font lets me see most of the text files. Amharic, Malayam and Thai are among the missing.

Regards,
David
Thanks DNSB, I'll take a look.
Koboifying definitely helps for the bidirectional languages, but
gives some rather strange results elsewhere (e.g. Chinese) where
some of the font characters scale and others do not .
The blank pages were for adding more stuff (which I've now done) so
I'll merge in bits from your copy and post another soon.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
DomesticExtremis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I will grab a copy - I've not yet found a font that handles all the
languages and have ended up installing quite a few from my Linux box.
It will be nice to remove some of them
Old 04-14-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
DomesticExtremis
Addict

Incorporated DNSB's changes and added lots more stuff.
Attached Files
File Type: epub EpubFeaturePeeker-1.0.1.epub (259.9 KB, 450 views)
Old 04-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'd suggest you also add the fractional symbols in; some of the Kobo fonts have fractions, other's don't.

Nine Fractions: ⅛ ¼ ⅓ ⅜ ½ ⅝ ⅔ ¾ ⅞

My testing shows the following:

Amasis: ¼ ½ ¾
Avenir: ¼ ½ ¾
Caecilia: ¼ ½ ¾
Georgia: ⅛ ¼ ⅜ ½ ⅝ ¾ ⅞
Gill Sans: ¼ ½ ¾
Kobo Nickel: ¼ ½ ¾
Malabar: ¼ ½ ¾
Rockwell: ¼ ½ ¾
Gothic MB101: ⅛ ¼ ⅓ ⅜ ½ ⅝ ⅔ ¾ ⅞
Ryumin: ⅛ ¼ ⅓ ⅜ ½ ⅝ ⅔ ¾ ⅞
Open Dyslexic: ¼ ½ ¾
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
DomesticExtremis
Addict

They are there in the special characters section.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:43 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sorry! I missed seeing those when I looked at the ePub in ADE; not sure what font ADE is using but some of them show as missing in it even!

Sigh!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #15
DomesticExtremis
Addict

I'll move them somewhere a bit more obvious.

Indeed, I've found more issues related to font choice than I have due
to absence of feature support or poor implementation.
Best (unencumbered) fonts I've found so far are DejaVu and Gnu-Free
fonts I side-loaded from my Linux box.

Last edited by DomesticExtremis; 04-14-2013 at 01:50 PM.