Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2013, 08:03 PM   #106
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I would certainly support a nomination of Stardust wherever appropriate. I love Neil Gaiman's books.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #107
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Stardust is an adventure, so let's nominate it for March. If it does not win, it's a classic tale, so it fits in with April, so again, let's try to get Stardust nominated. Stardust won the Mythpoeic Award for best adult fairy tale. That means it qualifies for June.
I think Stardust fits into quite a few categories. Adventure, Fantasy, Award Winners etc..

It's a marvellous story that I devoured on first reading. I didn't mind the movie, but it was as if it were a separate story altogether for me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 PM   #108
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
ALICE! You've made up for that time where I voted for On the Beach and it didn't make it. I get to read and discuss Shute. Woohoo!

I've never read him. I hope he isn't dreadful.
He's pretty dreadful. Alice is a good read but a bad book. IMO, of course.

As for Stardust, don't we have a rule that says a book can't be renominated for six months? It resulted from a certain book's nomination for several months, no matter what the category.

ETA: Yes, we do. Here it is:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...p;postcount=46

Last edited by issybird; 01-26-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Found it!
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #109
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Wow! Have you read everything?!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #110
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Wow! Have you read everything?!
I haven't read Stardust! So we're even.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #111
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute it is. The 1956 film was known in the United States as Rape of Malaya. Sounds really upbeat.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #112
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute it is. The 1956 film was known in the United States as Rape of Malaya. Sounds really upbeat.
The book was originally released in the USA under the title of The Legacy. Sounds really dull.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #113
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

It appears that the entire serialization for television is available in parts on Youtube. I saw a number of episodes of this years ago and found it very enjoyable.

I have read Stardust and found it an enjoyable adult fairy tale. In my opinion there is not much there that would generate much discussion.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 AM   #114
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Sounds really dull.
Sounds as if someone would really have preferred another book to win!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM   #115
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:

As for Stardust, don't we have a rule that says a book can't be renominated for six months? It resulted from a certain book's nomination for several months, no matter what the category.

ETA: Yes, we do. Here it is:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...p;postcount=46
Ah, I didn't realise that was the case, but I can see it's a sensible rule.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The book was originally released in the USA under the title of The Legacy. Sounds really dull.
These is one time we agree.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Ah, I didn't realise that was the case, but I can see it's a sensible rule.
(IMHO), I cannot. It means that a good book that didn't win a given month has less chance then ever of winning as people who do want to read it won't ait six months and read it before then. So when it's allowed to be nominated, too many will already have read it and it won't win.

I feel if it is appropriate for the category, it should be allowed as long as it has not previously won.

I think we need to have a vote on this.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 AM   #118
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
(IMHO), I cannot. It means that a good book that didn't win a given month has less chance then ever of winning as people who do want to read it won't ait six months and read it before then. So when it's allowed to be nominated, too many will already have read it and it won't win.

I feel if it is appropriate for the category, it should be allowed as long as it has not previously won.

I think we need to have a vote on this.
I think the rule came in at the end of 2011 for the year 2012. I don't know if the rule was discussed coming up to 2013. Is it too late to have a rule change for this year?

However, what you're talking about is exactly why the rule was put into place - to stop someone nominating the same book over and over again - which it sounded like you very much intended to do with Startdust a few posts back.

I wouldn't support or oppose the current rule or a change to it personally. I don't have enough feelings about it either way. I understand the rule, but wonder at the need to legislate on this in particular.

And I guess that's the sum total of my thoughts on it.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #119
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Rule changes have been done via popular vote. We didn't have a vote on the six month ban on a book in the vote. So (IMHO) because we've not had the vote, the six month rule is null and void until it's voted on.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:51 AM   #120
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
In my opinion, it's a very, very good and needed rule, and it's worked fantastically since it was implemented.

The way I understand it, there is no expiry date on the rule and it's rightfully past the time for discussing rule changes for 2013. (though that probably won't stop Jon from requesting changes all through the year )
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote