Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Er, The Sony Reader's biggest competition is the Amazon Kindle, which uses the Mobipocket format.

Amazon owns Mobipocket. How enthusiastic do you think they'll be about their subsidiary licensing the format to the Kindle's biggest competitor?

I'd guess, not very...
______
Dennis
Follow the money, is it in selling device or selling and controlling the content.

that said I think they will be very interested.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #17
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Follow the money, is it in selling device or selling and controlling the content.

that said I think they will be very interested.
I doubt it, for precisely the "follow the money" reasons.

Amazon is trying to butter their bread on both sides. They sell the Kindle, and they sell content for the Kindle through the Kindle store. They offer better pricing on ebooks through the Kindle store -- if you own a Kindle to buy it.

They are trying to use their control of the content to leverage sales of the Kindle, and vice versa. The more Kindles that are sold, the more content for them they can sell.

And let's say Mobipocket does license the reader to Sony (which I doubt, given their previous assertion that they must be the only DRM solution on a dedicated device). Where will Sony Reader users get content?

The complaint against Sony is the vastly larger amount of content available on Amazon for the Kindle. Mobipocket sells content separately, but can't match Amazon's pricing. Neither can other vendors selling Mobipocket format ebooks.

Yes, there's a lot of content not protected by DRM in Mobipocket format. But most folks want to buy current titles in ebook format, and that almost certainly will be protected by DRM.

Like I said, I can't see Mobipocket licensing the format to Sony (or being allowed to by Amazon, even if they wished to), and I can't see being able to read Mobipocket content on the Sony Reader as a big win for the majority of Sony users, because the content they'll be able to read may not the be content they want, and if it is, it will cost a lot more.

If I owned a Sony Reader, I'd certainly want to be able to read Mobipocket content on it, but I'm not typical of the market. I'm not especially interested in current commercial titles.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2008, 01:27 AM   #18
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Mobipocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill View Post
http://www.mobipocket.com/forum/view...?p=48710#48710

Please sign if you support

Don't suppose it will help , but you never know

Even if you don't have a Sony Reader, please support the petition as this will help keep Mobipocket format alive.
I have also posted.
Go for it.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 02:52 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
The complaint against Sony is the vastly larger amount of content available on Amazon for the Kindle. Mobipocket sells content separately, but can't match Amazon's pricing. Neither can other vendors selling Mobipocket format ebooks.
That's not true; most content is very similarly priced in all the major formats. Amazon used to be cheaper, but the effect of the Kindle has been to drive down prices for the other formats. Mobi bookstores such as BooksOnBoard and FictionWise, for example, sell most books at a price very similar to that of Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:37 AM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I think it's a dandy notion, myself, though I'm skeptical if Mobi will pay it any heed or not, given their previous reluctance to share the sandbox with other proprietary formats on dedicated reading devices.

Still, " hope springs eternal," right?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #21
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Let's not let this drop! The petition is up to 2 pages. C'mon, all Sony Reader owners!

Thanks, markiehill, for starting this. My fellow agitator.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 10:47 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What would happen is say Bookeen decided to add another DRM format to the Gen3 now that they have Mobipocket? Could they get away with it?

The problem is that Mobipocket doesn't play nice. Sony is currently the only company to have multiple DRM schemes on their reader.

It would be in Mobipocket's best interest to stop with the "we have to be the only DRM scheme on your device or screw you" attitude. It's not good business.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #23
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Ah, so that's the issue.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #24
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

What suprises me a little is that some people have replied here to say how mobipocket will never play ball with Sony yet have not signed the petition !

You may not think that signing the petition will make much difference but by ignoring it you could be fufilling your own prophecy

So I ask , if you have even the passing interest in seeing mobipocket on Sony, please go and sign it !

I doubt that they will ever support it, but making our feelings known is bound to cause a conversation internally... and you never know where that might lead.

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #25
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Before Sony decided to support EPUB via DE, I'd have said there was at least a chance (though a small one) that Sony might decide to switch completely to Mobipocket rather than their own proprietary format. Mobi might have gone along with that, if allowed to do so by Amazon (rather doubtful, but possible). Now... I doubt Mobi would do it.

And I suspect that the ebook reader vendors who've gone with Mobipocket have had to sign contracts saying they won't license another competing DRM scheme for their devices. Which strikes me as a practice that ought to be illegal, but MS has been getting away with it for years.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 PM   #26
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that Mobipocket doesn't play nice. Sony is currently the only company to have multiple DRM schemes on their reader.
Does Sony license their DRM to other hardware companies?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #27
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Does Sony license their DRM to other hardware companies?
Not that I'm aware of, but the point is moot. First, someone would have to want to license it. Who would, and why?

Granted, it might be interesting if someone like Bookeen could add LRF capability to their reader, but I suspect their contract with Mobipocket precludes it.

That fact that Sony could add ePub capability was interesting, but it will be be a while before it really becomes important for them. ePub needs to be more generally implemented by major publishers, with more content available in ePub format.

I'm curious as to which way Amazon will jump if ePub becomes a standard everyone implements. Will they add eBub support to the Kindle?
______
Dennis
Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #28
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Since the DRM of EPUB is unspecified, they'll have a special version tied to the Kindle DRM servers.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #29
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Since the DRM of EPUB is unspecified, they'll have a special version tied to the Kindle DRM servers.
I think you are quite right. Amazon wants device and vendor lock in. You read on a Kindle, and you buy your content from them.

If they can maintain that lock in, they have no particular need to add ePub support, however. If you can only read DRM protected content from Amazon, you're stuck with their format. I doubt the majority of the market Amazon aims at knows or cares about the variety of ebook formats out there. They just want to download current titles in electronic format and read them on their device. If they can do that, they're happy.
______
Dennis
Old 08-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #30
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's not true; most content is very similarly priced in all the major formats. Amazon used to be cheaper, but the effect of the Kindle has been to drive down prices for the other formats. Mobi bookstores such as BooksOnBoard and FictionWise, for example, sell most books at a price very similar to that of Amazon.
<blink>

Okay, I haven't been tracking prices. If so, that deeply cuts Amazon's advantage.

But I still can't see them permitting their subsidiary to issue a license to Sony.
______
Dennis

Tags
duck!