Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #61
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
If the device is truly based on a Windows platform, there'll be no SDK. Only if it's based on an open source platform like Linux.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #62
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
If the device is truly based on a Windows platform, there'll be no SDK. Only if it's based on an open source platform like Linux.
So there are no SDKs for building Windows applications for PCs then, or games for the Xbox, or apps for Windows mobiles? How very strange. I wonder where they all come from then.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #63
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
there is one pattern here, you can not miss it: all the advocates of buying this device are making the color eInk screen a strong point of jetbook.
They seem to totally ignore the lack of functionality. Apparently Ectaco adapted in a rush whatever software they could and released the device to the market. A premature move and an uninspired price. If the changes are not radical by the end of March/April the entire thing will be mostly for children. And we all know who pays for children.

In Dulin's review, just to quote the latest you can read "there is no" at almost each one or two paragraphs.
PF4Mobile: According to you every e-ink device is then a huge fail, because it does not have the feats you'd see in a tablet!

Most e-ink devices have been created to read books,and if they could perform these basic functions (like skipping pages, and following TOC hyperlinks is a bonus) then it's a good reader!

All other feats are added bonuses. Too bad e-ink readers are not tablets, they are 2 different animals,and you can't compare them!
There are perhaps many small kinks to be worked out,which hopefully will be done with firmware, but here you have a reader, that reads books of all kinds of formats perfectly fine, and on top a whole lot of educational feats!
That some of the device's functions don't work yet, is only natural. They are working on FW updates. I have had 2 ectaco devices before this one, and of all of them I can say they have a very solid OS. I had to reset my Sony PRS-505 about just as many times as I had to reset my Jetbook mini (the mini mainly due to too low processing power,not to menu's getting stuck like with the sony's).

Ectaco's track record of support and OS stability is pretty good so far, and one of the few who continued support while other e-book manufacturers hung up on their followers!

Grounding them to a pulp, just because they don't meet your expected view of them is not really realistic.
It's good to bring to the surface,some of the things they promised (like wifi, browser?), but not to continually bash them because the device does not function like a pc or tablet,because it is not a tablet.

Believe it or not, but Ectaco is still leading the pack of ebook readers!
Not only with their multi format compatibility, and color e-ink, but also with an sd card reader, high resolution display, fast Cortex A8 processor (it's about 4x faster than most ebook readers); TTS, dictionary, and perhaps in the future wifi and a browser.

Those are all feats, that combined you won't find in any other device on the market out there!
In fact,most ebook readers have one (like a large display), but not the other (no compatibility with the wide variety of file formats).
Or can read multiple file formats, but have a small screen...

And those that do can come close to the Jetbook (mainly large format e-ink readers monochrome displays), are either discontinued, or have a similar price tag.

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-28-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:43 PM   #64
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
"PF4Mobile: According to you every e-ink device is then a huge fail, because it does not have the feats you'd see in a tablet!"
On what grounds are you making this statement ?

"Most e-ink devices have been created to read books,and if they could perform these basic functions (like skipping pages, and following TOC hyperlinks is a bonus) then it's a good reader!"

Can you name an ereader that doesn't have annotations?
I am not saying there is none but I can not name any modern ereader that is missing this function.

When you have outstanding price you offer outstanding performance
This is not a trade in, " I give you color screen, this is why I can afford to give you nothing else or anything else behind the other players"
When the market is mature and all the players all align to some standards you are expected to comply, money wise and feature wise. If you want to exceed do it in all respects.
Ectaco left me a bad impression. I would feel insulted if I had to pay 500$ and to see if it doesn't do this or that.
I am the very one that started a thread here showing interest and I wanted to buy the device.
Well I had to step back very soon and for good reasons.
Let's agree on something, 500$ to read color docs is too much considering the quality difference if you compare with a tablet. I understand that your only strong point in this respect is the resolution. That doesn't matter for color information.

If we take text, color text interleaved with B&W I understand that the resolution is anywhere between the max B&W and the color (800x600)
If we take pictures then you are looking at 800x600
Now, seriously, what is the advantge of the undertermined resolution that one uses when he/she reads color text? I can not see it.

Now, to give you good reasons to say that I compared a tablet with JBC here is what I would have said

Case 1
I read text and pictures on a Galaxy tab Display: 10.1" WXGA (1280x800)
Same color resolution everywhere
I pay 400$
Advantages: multimedia and lots lots of features
Disadvantage: higher power consumption and eye strain

Case 2
I read text and pictures on a JetBook Color Display: 9.7" 1600 (H) * 1200 (W),
color resolution 800x600
I pay 500$
Advantages: no eye strain(let's admit that for now), less power consumption
Disadvantages: pretty much everthing else is missing or less than a tablet. The very advantage of the overevaluated color eink is not there not for pictures.

On the same inch you put less color info with your JBC than with a tablet. The quality of the colors is poorer ...then how does that help THE EYES???

You are missing the obvious, the very advantage that is called color display becomes a disadvantage and defeats the purpose of eInk for the regular reader: TO SAVE THE EYES!

PS: we can still debate what hurts more- backlight or lack of details (resolution) and quality color information!

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-28-2012 at 05:07 PM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #65
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Quote:
PF4Mobile: According to you
This is beyond a fanboy

Undecided if troll or paid to spam for Ectaco.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-28-2012 at 05:58 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #66
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
This is beyond a fanboy

Undecided if troll or paid to spam for Ectaco.
damn, I removed my message
I thought that you were taking about my message

Here is my opinion: for M92 there were reviews that helped a lot to sell the device
The reviews were quite honest, couple of points missed but what was described was there and the reviews addressed the points that potential buyers needed to clarify

For JBC on the other hand you see an attempt of a review a la' jbaach (that means very well documented) but unfortunately the grounds are not there.
One can write a good/positive review if the object of that review is obviously there. When you write good reviews but the reality is exactly the reverse or when you try to make smaller obvious problems then you actually work against the very cause you want to serve. This is what is happening here

If I was an Ectaco fan I would just wait patiently for the new firmware and write a well deserved positive review then. T

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 02-28-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #67
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We posted at the same time (I didnt refresh for a while), that's why I had to add the quote :-)

edit: I share your analysis. This kind of behavior does a bad service to the product itself.

There's no need for methodical trolling to defend the value of a digital device: if someone thinks it deserves nice critics he can list some objective data and prove it.

Until now it's a basic reader with poor colors (but still, colors), heavy on eyes (Like stated by Poohbear "The JBC is NOT comfortable for long reading sessions in standard lighting conditions. The JBC cannot compete at all with the Kindle DXG in terms of readability)"

Software side it's just not ready for the market, Dulin's first report is authoritative enough for me, and the vids just confirm his report.
Let's hope Ectaco will improve it greatly, then we'll evaluate if it's worth 500 dollars or not.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-28-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #68
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
We posted at the same time (I didnt refresh for a while), that's why I had to add the quote :-)
he acussed me of trolling, whne I read that in your message I connected with his and ...

Not sure what makes me to debate this..
A more pragmatic approach should be to "just wait and mind your business" for me, I have no interest in the cause discussed here...I should just save my time
Old 02-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #69
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Quote:
Right.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/aa905496.aspx

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms919011.aspx

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-28-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 PM   #70
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:

Believe it or not, but Ectaco is still leading the pack of ebook readers!
Not only with their multi format compatibility, and color e-ink, but also with an sd card reader, high resolution display, fast Cortex A8 processor (it's about 4x faster than most ebook readers); TTS, dictionary, and perhaps in the future wifi and a browser.

Those are all feats, that combined you won't find in any other device on the market out there!
In fact,most ebook readers have one (like a large display), but not the other (no compatibility with the wide variety of file formats).
Or can read multiple file formats, but have a small screen...

And those that do can come close to the Jetbook (mainly large format e-ink readers monochrome displays), are either discontinued, or have a similar price tag.
all of this is absolute nonsense. PocketBook and Onyx read more formats, have various forms of annotation capabilities, are generations ahead in PDF useability. they have SD card readers, the newest ones have the 800mHz processor , Onyx is using Pearl displays, both have TTS, Dictionaries, WIFI and Browsers. Onyx has handwriting recognition and the ability to save a copy of PDFs with the scribbles intact. All of those devices are AT LEAST $100 less for much better devices.

Bookeen's newest device is another example, yes its smaller but it is well ahead in capability.

HANVONS own version of this same device includes finger adn pen which this doesnt have.

Read this review I just found a little bit ago

http://news.consumerreports.org/elec...ok-reader.html

As i said in my earlier post, as I found today during some more use and as it states in the review even the educational stuff- which is VAST no doubt- is presented mainly as walls of text. no interactivity hardly any use of the color display and altogether so cumbersome to use that kids try to use it even as a sort of encyclopedia device will be looking for something more useable.

as it stands its a very basic epub reader and a bottom of the list pdf reader with some very nice language learning tools.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #71
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
[BCan you name an ereader that doesn't have annotations?
I am not saying there is none but I can not name any modern ereader that is missing this function.
I'm very sorry to disapoint you, but NEARLY ALL ereaders have NO annotation!

I'm only looking at those currently available on the market, most of them have sub9" screens (they make up of more than 80% of e-readers on the market today).

Of the 9" models, they generally only have annotations, when they have some sort of touchscreen or pen.

Only very few have, because not many have been made (or are still available)! (not talking about the tablets here).

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-28-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #72
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
all of this is absolute nonsense. PocketBook and Onyx read more formats, have various forms of annotation capabilities, are generations ahead in PDF useability. they have SD card readers, the newest ones have the 800mHz processor , Onyx is using Pearl displays, both have TTS, Dictionaries, WIFI and Browsers. Onyx has handwriting recognition and the ability to save a copy of PDFs with the scribbles intact. All of those devices are AT LEAST $100 less for much better devices.
Those 2 and the kindle DX are basically the only ones on the market; the other ones you got to do a hel of a lot of effort to get your hands on one.
And especially pocketbook and Onyx, their devices are phased out before you even hear of them. They have a new one which is around the same price. $100 less for not having color is about the same price to me.
Some pocketbooks I could get for $279 on amazon, but those models are already phased out (and due to firmware issues replaced by more expensive models).

There's a difference between announcements they make on tech websites, having a window of a few months to purchase them from a local website; and having the device commercially available for all (which is what it looks like Ectaco will do, seeing their other electronic devices they have for sale for many months to years).

Most readers either never make it to the market, or finally get phased out by a newer model, and companies selling off their small stock to fund for the research of perhaps another device, or close the doors on the debts they gotten themselves into while researching and creating such a device.

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-28-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #73
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Windows is closed source. They prefer not to transfer their operating systems, or not make it available for users to do so.
SDK as in update packs, yes. But SDK as in pre-packed operating systems, no!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #74
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:

Most readers either never make it to the market, or finally get phased out by a newer model, and companies selling off their small stock to fund for the research of perhaps another device, or close the doors on the debts they gotten themselves into while researching and creating such a device.
yes i know too well the vagaries of the US market. However Onyx's A60 has basically been on sale world wide for going on 3 years with upgrades to the structure and firmware along the way. PocketBooks Pro line is going on a year and a half now . The PocketBook 360 was on sale with really no changes for 2 years. Both companies and others sell quite well in Europe and Russia. Its the US market where these things are hard to find. There was only 3 of us basically selling them and with me out ther eare only 2(minus the importers).

Ill go out on a very short limb to say that the Boox A60 has actually been the best available 6" device since its first production. But try to get any one to give it some press. they only want to talk about Kindle and Nook.

Pocketbook 360 is probably the best device prior to Pearl displays and you couldnt get anyone to talk about it on this side of the pond outside of mobile read.

PocketBook had column reading from their very first device which was on sale for 3 years but again get anyone of "influence" to mention it or do a side by side with a kindle to show how much easier the 301 was to use.

edit: i failed to mention Irex but their first real consumer product destroyed them so i didnt see the point. Sony also didnt get a mention but their devices have been very good all along as well but I failed to mention them just as the press has(except when they made the mistake with the front lighting)

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 02-28-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #75
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Those 2 and the kindle DX are basically the only ones on the market; the other ones you got to do a hel of a lot of effort to get your hands on one.
And especially pocketbook and Onyx, their devices are phased out before you even hear of them. They have a new one which is around the same price. $100 less for not having color is about the same price to me.
Some pocketbooks I could get for $279 on amazon, but those models are already phased out (and due to firmware issues replaced by more expensive models).

There's a difference between announcements they make on tech websites, having a window of a few months to purchase them from a local website; and having the device commercially available for all (which is what it looks like Ectaco will do, seeing their other electronic devices they have for sale for many months to years).

I already explained you above that color in your case is a drawback not a bonus feature.
Other that color eInk you have no argument for that 100$ more, yet you do not realize that many potential buyers have a problem with paying 400$ for a regular ereader that would offer lots more features.
You keep repeating the "color" mantra while everybody here is telling you that at least Onyx is ages ahead. That was said by somebody who has the device and could compare it with many others.