Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
Chauncey
Chauncey began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2
Not all formats showing using the server

When I browse calibre from the internet (server) My 200+ converted mobi formats do not show, however the get button showns that the book to be downloaded will be in mobi format

When I view through the book through details, permalink or moble all the formats show.
(see pictures).

Also is there a way to set what format the get button downloads?

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first view.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	77959   Click image for larger version

Name:	details.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	77960   Click image for larger version

Name:	permalink.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	77961   Click image for larger version

Name:	moble.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	77962  
Chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:50 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
When I browse calibre from the internet (server) My 200+ converted mobi formats do not show, however the get button showns that the book to be downloaded will be in mobi format
Seems fine to me. Every window you showed in the attached images had each format represented by a link or button. The fact that you have your preferred output set to Mobi made the "get" buttons Mobi by default.

So you had Mobi represented by the "get" button and then you had the "other formats" available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
Also is there a way to set what format the get button downloads?
Yes, whatever your preferred output (Preferences - Behavior) is set to I believe will be shown by the get button.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 10-19-2011 at 09:01 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Seems fine to me. Every window you showed in the attached images had each format represented by a link or button. The fact that you have your preferred output set to Mobi made the "get" buttons Mobi by default.

So you had Mobi represented by the "get" button and then you had the "other formats" available.
When I first encountered it, I too found it confusing and wondered where all my epub books were...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #4
JimBushWhack
JimBushWhack began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Preferred output format preference effecting web content server "get" choices

Sorry if this has already been disccussed, but I could not find any posts on this subject.

My problem is this: The preferred output format preference seems to govern the default "get" format in the content web server. I have a medium sized calibre library with around 200 ebooks. I have been experimenting with the web content server as I have a small group of friends I share books with. I have a kindle myself, so the preferred output format is set to mobi. But some of the friends in my group have ipads and I have found that the calibre web content server is the most effective way of getting ebooks from calibre onto an ipad. Most of my group that have ipads use ibooks to display ebook content so they need epub formatted ebooks. My library contains both mobi and epub formatted ebooks. Even though, the book selections offers epub as an alternate choice, it is sometimes buried at the end of the meta-data display. The "get" button seems to be tied to the preferred output format on the server which in some ways does not make sense. It seems like this choice should be made by the person who is browsing the content server output.

Would there be any way to do this?

Thanks,
JimBushWhack
JimBushWhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply click details and you will get links to download all the other formats.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #6
JimBushWhack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Simply click details and you will get links to download all the other formats.
Sorry, I do not see a details button. Is it somewhere inside the calibre preferences display? I do see both available formats (i.e. epub and mobi) listed if you switch to the mobile web server client display. But the default client display, shows the cover and meta-data with "Other Formats" displayed at the bottom of the book display and the "get" button on the left under the cover will download the Preferred output format type.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBushWhack View Post
It seems like this choice should be made by the person who is browsing the content server output.
Since this is your library the choice is yours under Preferences - Behavior - Preferred output format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBushWhack View Post
Sorry, I do not see a details button. Is it somewhere inside the calibre preferences display?
It is right out in the open, see attached for where details is and what you see when you click details.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	content server.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	79685   Click image for larger version

Name:	content server details window.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	79688  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-05-2011 at 06:34 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
JimBushWhack

Quote:
Since this is your library the choice is yours under Preferences - Behavior - Preferred output format.
True enough, but the client side may be using either an ipad, with the ibooks or the kindle app, or a kindle. If they use the get button, they will be forced into the preferred output format which maybe not what they wanted. Or put another way, if the preferred format is mobi and they have an ipad with only the ibooks app, the ebook will error out and not load, if they use the get button. I guess I was hoping that the format of the get button could somehow be client side selectable.

Quote:
It is right out in the open, see attached for where details is and what you see when you click details.
Dah... I see the details button now. Thanks,

JimBushWhack

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 12-05-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I think it's a little odd that the available formats aren't shown in the summary.

If I add {formats} to summary.html, they're displayed as text, not links to the files, like in details.html. But {other_formats} are links.

At any rate, the user has to hover over Get to see what the format is. (The naive user just clicks Get and may or may not get what s/he wants.) I think Get is better displayed as Get <format> or just <format>. EIBTI, right
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote