Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With 4.32, is the problem of connecting to Calibre while in the middle of a KePub eBook no longer a problem?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:20 PM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
With 4.32, is the problem of connecting to Calibre while in the middle of a KePub eBook no longer a problem?
Why don't you just try it and let us know

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:36 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It has not been a problem for me on 4.32 or any firmware besides 4.31, and I tend to connect my Clara a lot.

Your mileage may vary.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:15 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Why don't you just try it and let us know
From multiple previous posts, Jon does not believe in the experimental method.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 10:31 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
He also doesn't bother reading the multiple posts that have said things are OK.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 03:30 AM   #21
wingmongyee
Enthusiast
wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Mine is not a Clara, but I've had the problem of corrupted databases with my Glo HD for a year more or less. It started going wrong out of the blue one day. Every second connection to Calibre, the database would be corrupted.

I got used to back up the database every time I could connect successfully to Calibre. I backed up the database by copying the KoboReader.sqlite file manually using file manager. Almost every time I transferred books to the device, the database would get corrupted after the first disconnection. Then once I had replaced the database with the backed up one, it would be fine until I transfered more books.

Anyway, I tried everything I could think of, and all suggestions I found on this forum, but nothing worked. I tried different USB cables but it didn't help. I thought maybe I had too many books on the device - over 1000 and the database, which was nearing 900 MB, was too big. I tried reducing the number of books. The database dropped to the 500MB mark but it didn't help. Finally, I thought the problem may have been with Calibre or with the Glo HD itself. I thought maybe the 32 GB SD card I had installed on the Glo HD years ago was damaged.

In any case, as soon as I installed Firmware 4.32.19501, the problem magically vanished. Immediately!

I haven't had a corrupted database once ever since. It's been almost a month and I connect to Calibre and transfer books almost every second day. So it appears the problem was never with the hardware or with Calibre or the manner of connecting. I assume the problem must have started after a firmware update a year or two ago but I didn't realize it at the time.

I never associated the corrupted database with a particular firmware, until the problem was fixed immediately following the latest firmware update. I kept reading the forum in the last month to see if anyone would mention an experience similar to mine but no one did as far as I could see although there's quite a few mentions of corrupted databases.

Please note that I always update manually to the latest firmware as soon as I find out on this forum that it's been released. So I don't know after which firmware the problem started but I can confirmed I installed all the updates, 4.26, 4.30, 4.31 as they were released and the problem disappeared only with 4.32.

So based on my experience, if someone has problems with corrupted databases, I highly recommend you install Firmware 4.32.19501.

After having had problems for so long and considering getting a new ereader, this new firmware which fixed the problem has given my Glo HD a new lease of life !!!

Also, I don't know if it matters but my books are in ePub format in my Calibre library and they get converted to KePub on the fly with the KoboTouchExtended driver when I transfer them to the device.

Hope sharing my experience helps. Cheers.

Last edited by wingmongyee; 05-16-2022 at 03:56 AM.
wingmongyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 09:10 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When I asked, I was on vacation.
Old 05-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #23
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
For what it's worth, I've never gotten a corrupted database error on any Kobo device I've used over the years (Touch, Aura, and now Clara HD), and I do nothing special to avoid it (such as the earlier suggestion to always return to the home screen before connecting to your computer), so I would not agree that it's to be expected.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 05-19-2022 at 11:08 AM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 12:15 PM   #24
eink_enjoyer
eink_enjoyer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2; Kindle Paperwhite 2
I'm using a Libra 2, and have had a corrupted database in the past.
Now, I'm using restic to make a full backup of the device.
But my question is the following: How exactly do I restore a database backup? What is the procedure?
eink_enjoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 03:49 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eink_enjoyer View Post
But my question is the following: How exactly do I restore a database backup? What is the procedure?
Restic is useless. If the database is corrupt, you'll backup a corrupt database. Then when you do finally find out that the database is corrupt, you'll end up restoring a corrupt database. So you can dump Restic.

What you can use is Calibre with Kobo Utilities (plugin) to backup the database as Kobo Utilities does check the database before backing it up.

To restore a database, plug the Kobo into the computer and copy the backup database over the existing database. Then eject the Kobo and then reboot your Kobo.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:53 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eink_enjoyer View Post
It depends on what you want to do. On the rare times I need to do it, I just find the last good backup of the database and replace the corrupt database with it. After ejecting the device I restart it.

I occasionally backup everything. That is mainly when testing something so I can repeat it or get back to the starting point when I am finished. If I restore that, then I delete everything from the books partition and copy the backed up files to the device. And again, restart the device when it is ejected. I do that quickly to avoid it trying to import all the books.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote