Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
HeresKayter
HeresKayter began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE
Talking Hello!

Hi All!! I am Diane from Arkansas and I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Kindle from Amazon.com. My husband ordered it for my birthday back on December 4 and I won't have it (according to amazon) until sometime between February 28-March 5. :-( I just am going stir crazy waiting! I keep hoping in the back of my brain, that Amazon used those delivery dates as a "worst case scenario" to cover their butt and that hopefully, my Kindle will ship out much, MUCH faster!!! This would certainly set Amazon up for a "world class service" customer service....HEY! I can dream can't I?

I am a tech junkie loving all things and gadgets techncal! I love to read, thus my interest in the Kindle... I also have been suffering from pretty severe joint pain in my hands that gets aggrivated by laying down holding books, so hopefully my 10 oz Kindle will alleviate that as well!

I am trying to learn about file formats and file format converters. Friends on the Kindle discussion boards at amazon.com directed me here so here I am!!! Looking forward to meeting you, chatting with you and being envious of your Kindle, or whatever electronic reader you use until mine arrives!!!

OH yeah! And I just did a big splurge with Christmas money and bought an Oberon cover for my yet to be delivered Kindle! I got the Tree of Life cover with straps!! I'll have that way before the Kindle gets here....

Message me!! Can't wait to meet fellow book...er...electronic book lovers!!
HeresKayter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, hereskayter! Where 'bouts in Arkansas? I spent 12 wonderful years in Mountain Home.

Glad to meet ya, and be sure and check out all the wonderful books from here you can download and read now, using the mobipocket versions, (.prc) and then transfer to your Kindle when you finally get it!

arizonareader.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Congratulations! I hope you get it faster
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
HeresKayter

Question ????

Hi Everyone and thanks for the warm welcome! DesertGrandma, you are the one who directed me here from amazons boards! Thanks!

Can anyone assist me in learning where to download the mobi software to download, covert and read .mobi files? I am searching and searching and seem to be going in circles...prob trying too hard....
Old 01-20-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresKayter View Post
Hi Everyone and thanks for the warm welcome! DesertGrandma, you are the one who directed me here from amazons boards! Thanks!

Can anyone assist me in learning where to download the mobi software to download, covert and read .mobi files? I am searching and searching and seem to be going in circles...prob trying too hard....
Here ya go. You want the mobipocket READER.

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
HeresKayter

Thumbs up YEA!!

Thanks DGMa!! I got it!

Now I can start browsing and downloading!!! Yippee!!! (Oh, and wait the 6 weeks for the Kindle to get here)

Next question is the best & biggest SD card....any thoughts before I start browsing??
Old 01-20-2009, 08:18 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeresKayter View Post
Thanks DGMa!! I got it!

Now I can start browsing and downloading!!! Yippee!!! (Oh, and wait the 6 weeks for the Kindle to get here)

Next question is the best & biggest SD card....any thoughts before I start browsing??
I have a 4 GB. That should hold approximately 4,000 books, give or take a few. (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?) I doubt I'll need any more.........enjoy!

Please spend some time looking at all the different threads. You are welcome to jump in and contribute anytime! Also, check out the 'wiki' at the top of the page for lots more info.

But don't hesitate to ask for help. Just use the appropriate forum (Under 'forums")
Old 01-20-2009, 08:21 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

DG, do you have to keep all of your books on the Kindle or can you save them on your computer?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
DG, do you have to keep all of your books on the Kindle or can you save them on your computer?
I CHOOSE to keep them on the Kindle, However, I can let amazon store the books I've bought from them if I want. I can delete (altho they will always show on the content managers page) and download anytime I want for free. But really, I just like having them on the Kindle.

The free ones, I have on a card, which I keep on the Kindle. Accessing them is the same as any other book.......I just click on it.

I also have them all (Free ones) on my computer, 'just in case"........ Does that make sense?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I CHOOSE to keep them on the Kindle, However, I can let amazon store the books I've bought from them if I want. I can delete (altho they will always show on the content managers page) and download anytime I want for free. But really, I just like having them on the Kindle.

The free ones, I have on a card, which I keep on the Kindle. Accessing them is the same as any other book.......I just click on it.

I also have them all (Free ones) on my computer, 'just in case"........ Does that make sense?
Yes it does

If I have more than 45 books on my Reader I start freaking out, I can't keep them all straight.

I've got issues...
Old 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Yes it does

If I have more than 45 books on my Reader I start freaking out, I can't keep them all straight.

I've got issues...
I don't worry about it. sometimes, I'll just start looking at the 25 pages one by one just to remind myself whats there. Then I'll do a "sort by" just to confuse myself.......... Kinda like a surprise every time................
Old 01-20-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I don't worry about it. sometimes, I'll just start looking at the 25 pages one by one just to remind myself whats there. Then I'll do a "sort by" just to confuse myself.......... Kinda like a surprise every time................
Half of the ones I have on it are guilt books...like I should be reading these, but I won't because I'm too busy reading romance novels, but I'll keep them on here just in case I want to read something different. Doesn't usually work.

What does it sort them by?
Old 01-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Welcome Diane

Quote:
Yes it does

I've got issues...
You'd hate looking at my Sony - it has around 200 books on it...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Welcome Diane

You'd hate looking at my Sony - it has around 200 books on it...
EEK EEK EEK!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Half of the ones I have on it are guilt books...like I should be reading these, but I won't because I'm too busy reading romance novels, but I'll keep them on here just in case I want to read something different. Doesn't usually work.

What does it sort them by?
I can sort by Author, or most recently downloaded, or by title.

Get rid of your 'guilt trip' over which books you should be reading. Read what makes YOU happy, not what anyone else tells you to. As you grow older, your tastes might or might not change. Mine did, but thats me.

Just enjoy what you are doing.

Tags
kindle, new member