Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2021, 06:17 AM   #1
thewindowsteam
thewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-books

Device: kindle paperwhite 2 on android and jailbroken
boot kindle into android

Since I am now in the PRC, I had to use the local internet. I foud out a website that actually can let you install android on older models of android. www.kdroid.club IT WILL COST YOU MONEY
thewindowsteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 06:23 AM   #2
thewindowsteam
thewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-booksthewindowsteam has learned how to read e-books

NVM found a way to overcome it. BUT you have to be a master in the linux area to know how it actually works. I got stuck on the mount step. http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_711588b60102xv0c.html
make sure to use google translate to understand the steps.
For me though, now I have to pay a 160 yuan bill of else I can't use my kindle.
Can anyone help me know what those commands mean?
Advert
Old 08-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #3
thewindowsteam

it only supports the KPW 2 and 3, kindle basic (2014), kindle 8 from 2016, kindle oasis 1 and kindle voyage. suppored serial numbers http://kdroid.org/firmtest/droid/dro...%E6%9C%BA.html
if your serial number is in the list and you want to pay a 25 USD bill please proceed.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:09 AM   #4
thewindowsteam

Or if your first digits of the serial number don't match BUT you have a device of the same model, AND you have jailbroken and installed KUAL, download main-htmlviewer.tar.gz and extensions.zip from this link.
http://kdroid.org/firmtest/droid/dro...%E6%9C%BA.html
open extensions.zip and put its content into the extensions folder of your jailbroken kindle. then put main-htmlviewer.tar.gz directly iinto into your kindle(not in he extensions folder or any other folder). DO NOT UNZIP THE TAR.GZ FILE!! Once you restarted, you should see the bootandroid option in your kindle. click it.

Do not touch the power button or else the kindle might break!!

now go to this link
http://kdroid.org/firmtest/droid/droid.190415/
and download the corect firmware.
unzip its contents to somewhere you prefer.
go to the unzipped folder and find the drivers. for windows 32-bit, please install x86.exe.
For windows 64 bit please install x64.exe.
Then install adb-setup-1.4.2.exe. you may have to right-lick and run as administrator.
now run fastdownload.exe as admin and connect your kindle which should have a white screen. If you are a nerd and prefer to save the money and install your own android, good. Because your kindle now is in fastboot mode, install your own android system.
If you prefer the android system that has been modified to fit the kindle, then type 5 in the fastdownload.exe for dual-boot so you can go back to the original kindle or press 1-4 to boot it only into android.
BE CAREFUL AS SONE OPTIONS MIGHT WIPE YOUR ENTIRE DISK. IT SUOULD SAY WHAT OPTIONS DO WHAT. IF YOU DO NOT SEE CHINESE CHARACTERS BUT SEE WEIRD STUFF THEN READ THE ENGLISH AFTER IT.
When you finally choose the option press enter to begin the process.

Do not disconnect your kindle!!

Now you should be able to see an android screen that says upgrading android. follow the on-screen instructions to continue. You might need to connect to wi-fi to buy and activate android.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:21 AM   #5
thewindowsteam

If you have not jailbroken your kindle then your kindle needs to upgrade/downgade to this version:
kindle voyage: 5.5.0
kindle paperwhite 2: 5.4.3.2
kindle oasis 1 :5.7.4
kindle paperwhite 3 : 5.7.4
kindle 8 2016: 5.6.0
kindle basic (2016) : 5.8.0
then download main-htmlviewer.tar.gz from this link:http://kdroid.org/firmtest/droid/dro...%E6%9C%BA.html
put it into your kindle and search :installHtml
your kindle should reboot and get stuck in the loading phase. Or it should have a blank screen.

you can now connnect your kindle to your PC and use the fastdownload steps mentioned above.
Advert
Old 08-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
thewindowsteam

I personally have tried this in the KPW2. But I do not want to pay the lame fee.
If you do not want to pay the lame fee then follow the instructions here before you start fastdownloading: http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_711588b60102xv0c.html

DISCLAMIER: I AM ONLY SHARING THIS BECAUSE I WANT MORE PEOPLE TO TRY USING THIS METHOD. I HAVE NO LINKS TO THE PERSON WHO INVENTED THIS METHOD AND I WILL NOT GET ANY REVENUE FROM HIM. IF YOU NEED HELP CONTACT THE ORIGINAL AUTHOR OF THIS SOFTWARE AS MENTIONED AT
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=523761990922
(it is in Chinese though and I can't really understand it)
thx for my roommate for helping me translate. He did not want to mention his name.
happy androiding!
Old 08-14-2021, 07:40 AM   #7
thewindowsteam

oh btw when I mentioned "not tuching your kindle power button" it means from the start of rebbooting & connecting your PC to the kindle to the finish of the installation of android
Old 08-14-2021, 09:16 AM   #8
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewindowsteam View Post
Can anyone help me know what those commands mean?
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing. After a quick read of the link you provided, it looks like you need to mount the filesystem image on your PC, patch out some verification checks then flash the modified filesystem to the device. You should have done this instead of flashing the unmodified filesystem - it's going to be a pain (but not impossible) to recover your device now.

You probably need to create a mount point if you're stuck mounting the filesystem image:
Code:
mkdir /tmp/system
sudo mount -o loop -t ext4 esystem.bin /tmp/system
It's always interesting to see what the Kindle hackers over in China are capable of. Creating an entire replacement operating system takes a lot of skill and they're way ahead of us in that regard - we could learn a lot from them.

I've got a spare KT2 that should be compatible with this project so I'll give those instructions a go. The android version is ancient and I wouldn't be surprised if the filesystem is riddled with malware but I'm very curious about how it all works.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 12:21 AM   #9
thewindowsteam

thanks! Actually it is not that hard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katadelos View Post
Cool stuff, thanks for sharing. After a quick read of the link you provided, it looks like you need to mount the filesystem image on your PC, patch out some verification checks then flash the modified filesystem to the device. You should have done this instead of flashing the unmodified filesystem - it's going to be a pain (but not impossible) to recover your device now.

You probably need to create a mount point if you're stuck mounting the filesystem image:
Code:
mkdir /tmp/system
sudo mount -o loop -t ext4 esystem.bin /tmp/system
It's always interesting to see what the Kindle hackers over in China are capable of. Creating an entire replacement operating system takes a lot of skill and they're way ahead of us in that regard - we could learn a lot from them.

I've got a spare KT2 that should be compatible with this project so I'll give those instructions a go. The android version is ancient and I wouldn't be surprised if the filesystem is riddled with malware but I'm very curious about how it all works.
All you have to do is force reboot the device and run fastdownload.exe as admin. The trouble is I cannot mount esystem.bin to do patches. it always gives me an error, and I tried it on mutiple devices that run Ubuntu.
Old 08-15-2021, 12:24 AM   #10
thewindowsteam

I am trying an easier way to do the trick by changing the launcher2.apk and the input.apk
that way I can somehow go to a web browser by clicking help on the input and I won't need a Chinese Pinyin input anyway
Old 08-15-2021, 01:04 AM   #11
thewindowsteam

welp recovery.sh is missing and I am now in boot loop
Old 08-15-2021, 01:15 AM   #12
thewindowsteam

still cannot mount though
this is what it says
This message is shown once a day. To disable it please create the
/home/username/.hushlogin file.
username@DESKTOP-F119QO7:~$ mkdir /tmp/system
username@DESKTOP-F119QO7:~$ sudo mount -o loop -t ext4 esystem.bin /tmp/system
mount: /tmp/system: failed to setup loop device for esystem.bin.
username@DESKTOP-F119QO7:~$
username@DESKTOP-F119QO7:~$ mkdir /tmp/system
mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/tmp/system’: File exists
username@DESKTOP-F119QO7:~$ sudo mount -o loop -t ext4 esystem.bin /tmp/system
mount: /tmp/system: failed to setup loop device for esystem.bin.
username@DESKTOP-F119QO7:~$
Old 08-15-2021, 05:22 AM   #13
thewindowsteam

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewindowsteam View Post
Since I am now in the PRC, I had to use the local internet. I foud out a website that actually can let you install android on older models of android. www.kdroid.club IT WILL COST YOU MONEY
whoops I meant android on older models of kindle
Old 08-15-2021, 11:52 PM   #14
thewindowsteam

BREAKTHROUGH!!!!

I was messing on the kdroid website to find more info about this project, and so far I have come up with two major conclusions:
1. They somehow have two websites: kdroid.org and kdroid.club

2.The android system turns out to be a slightly modified SONY Digital Paper (according to google translate https://translate.google.cn/
http://kdroid.club/doc/DPT%e5%ae%89%...b%e5%86%8c.pdf
Old 08-20-2021, 05:37 AM   #15
rabe3ab
Enthusiast
rabe3ab began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Does it wipe the main os or it runs side by side?
And what if i want to restore the original firmware?
rabe3ab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, kindle