Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Dirk Gently on TV

I know this is a book that comes up occasionally here as being well-loved, so I thought that anybody who doesn't know already may be interested to know that the BBC have adapted Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently for the small screen.

It's a one-off 60 minute show as far as I can tell and is first on TV this Thursday at 9:00pm (UK time) on BBC4 and BBC HD. Details, here.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 12-15-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
I wonder how long it will be before we can see it over here (across the pond, as it were).
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
And it's not got Harry Enfield as Dirk - hooray!

(He played Dirk Gently in the radio adaptation, which I didn't listen to, as I don't much like him)
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
For those in the United States with an iPad an iPlayer App is coming in the future.

http://gigaom.com/video/bbc-iplayer-ipad-app/

This is something I would consider getting if the price is not to exorbitant.

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 12-14-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Reindeer
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I know this is a book that comes uo occasionally here as being well-loved, so I thought that anybody who doesn't know already may be interested to know that the BBC have adapted Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently for the small screen.

It's a one-off 60 minute show as far as I can tell and is first on TV this Thursday at 9:00pm (UK time) on BBC4 and BBC HD. Details, here.
Ohh, need to program the decoder with that! (we don't have BBC HD, but we do have BBC 4!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I know this is a book that comes uo occasionally here as being well-loved, so I thought that anybody who doesn't know already may be interested to know that the BBC have adapted Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently for the small screen.

Thanks for the info Bilbo! I'll have to keep a look out for it on this side of the pond.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #7
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
OK - just watched it.

Plus points:
Spoiler:

Janice and Susan were well cast
I liked the notes to the actual plot of book on the whiteboards and in the paper
There was quite a bit that was definitely in the spirit of the book

Minus points:
Spoiler:

Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff were badly cast (especially Gently), and badly directed - they were more like Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent in this.
Gordon & Susan's relationship
Richard's lack of job
No sofa
No ghost
No professor Chronitus
No electric monk, except in reference. Ditto horses in bathrooms.
Too much deviation from the book in places where it wouldn't have mattered if it had stayed true.
It all made a bit too much sense - and had clearly been bashed about in order to do so - which meant that it lacked that Adams feel.

In summary, a valiant effort given the time constraints, but could have done a lot better.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Thanks Am, nice summary.

I watched it as well. I have to say that it really failed to grab me. It was OK, but not as good as I wanted it to be (possibly a case of expectation outstripping reality).

Spoiler:
I have to say that your Ford Prefect / Arthur Dent analogy was spot on. I wish I'd thought of that.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Minus points:
Spoiler:

Dirk Gently and Richard MacDuff were badly cast (especially Gently), and badly directed - they were more like Ford Prefect and Arthur Dent in this.
I agree. I think they might have worked well the other way around!

However, I did enjoy it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote