Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
The Stinging Tree

He steps forward with trepidation, one toe in the treacherous waters that is the author self-promotions thread...

Here's the spiel:

Is Brad seeing things? A boy, his double, on the other side of the stream. It’s like looking into a mirror. But where has he come from? Who is he? When Brad decides to follow him into the forest, it is the start of an action-packed thrill ride. Set in the mountains of far north Australia, this is the debut novel of author Luke King.

It's free at Smashwords https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18751

I submitted it to Penguin Australia back in 2000. They rejected it, but were kind enough to say, "This shows real promise."

I think that's about it. It's not going to win any awards.

Ideally, it's geared towards a young male readership, though I think anyone might enjoy it, as far as it goes.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Thanks for sharing your work Luke, good luck with your book it's on my TBR

& welcome to MR.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks columbus.

I also have a short story available if anyone's interested in checking out my writing style.

Lucky to be Alive is free at Smashwords https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/19026

A beautiful day. Blue sky. Calm water. Does Tom want to take a boat out? Of course he does. But why is the boy asking Tom? Who is he? And why does he want to row them out to sea?

It's children's horror, if there is such a thing.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
BexBits
Zealot
BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.BexBits can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Nook classic, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD
I downloaded and read both of your stories and thought they were very well written -- better by far than much of the indie stuff floating around out there.

I'm not a horror fan by any means but I'd encourage you to keep writing and let us know when you post more works.
BexBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 AM   #5
Luke King
Member Retired

Thanks. I have a young adult science fiction novel that I'm redrafting at the moment. I should have it out in a month or so.

It's about a boy, alone on an alien world, but for a synthetic man. The boy's father and sister were killed when their ship crash landed, and the story is about how the boy survives with the artificial human.

There is no hope of rescue -- and there's something dangerous in the forest...

I'll have to write a proper blurb for it when I'm finished.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
Luke King
Member Retired

What readers are saying about The Stinging Tree.

Bad bad bad
"The story was way to short and it just dropped you in. Poorly written. Bad job." - Gcawad

The Stinging Tree
"It's a great and interesting book. Plus, it has a good use of words." - Nicknino

Don't bother!
"Not worth reading. Makes no sense at all. Reads like a 6th grade English assignment." - Dengman

The Stinging Tree! Free at Smashwords https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/18751
Old 09-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #7
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
Bad bad bad
"The story was way to short and it just dropped you in. Poorly written. Bad job." - Gcawad
I think that there is a law that it is okay to dismiss out of hand the opinions of anyone who doesn't know the difference between "to" and "too"-- especially when they are critiquing literature.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
I think that there is a law that it is okay to dismiss out of hand the opinions of anyone who doesn't know the difference between "to" and "too"-- especially when they are critiquing literature.
Especially if they add 'Poorly written' to it.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Luke King
Member Retired

Well, they're kind of right, and I'm not too worried about it.

It is too short, makes no sense (in terms of its conclusion), and is aimed at the sixth grade.

I would assume the middle comment is from someone aged around twelve, while the others are from older readers - the problem with putting a book into the children's and young adult categories. The older readers aren't impressed.

I really only posted this (the comments) because I thought it was funny.

Overall it's got a rating of three and half stars at Apple, the only place where it has any ratings, and I think that's about right, or maybe generous, if anything.

It's not badly written. It "has a good use of words". And it is interesting, as far as it goes, but I wrote it ten years ago, and I'm not overly worried about its reception. I know its flawed. I really only want to use it as a springboard for the other children's/young adult novel I have (written a little later, and actually novel length). It's probably not a good idea to use something not very good to promote something better...

Anyway, when I've finished redrafting the next, I'll probably give over writing for children. It's a long time since I've tried it, and it doesn't really interest me anymore.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I haven't read the story (and I'm sure it is unrelated) but the title makes me think of this:

http://www.archive.org/details/carnivorousplant23prio
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #11
Luke King
Member Retired

No, the stinging tree is a real tree, found in the rainforests of tropical north Queensland. It can kill you (it has been known to kill at least one human) but it does not eat you. It also kills dogs and horses, though native animals eat its leaves.

It has needles on its leaves and branches. When touched, the hairs penetrate the skin easily, releasing poison, and the pain can last for weeks or even months afterwards.

I know very well how much it hurts.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #12
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Never use its leaves as bush loo paper!
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Luke King
Member Retired

Another strong review.

The Stinging Tree
"Spelling and punctuation are terrible." - Keith Hague

What he means is - the spelling and punctuation are terrible - not that spelling and punctuation are terrible things, generally speaking.

I my own defence, I might say that I haven't simply ploughed on through the story, writing late at night in my pyjamas, in some cosy, colourful, or even mediaeval, gaol-like chamber, with mould in the centre of the floor, while I, bedecked in jewellery, believed I had some sort of encyclopaedic knowledge, instilled in me since I was a foetus, that did not require a spell-checker.

I have spelt the words correctly!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:13 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Luke, that last review, the one about spelling and punctuation made me laugh so much I've got hiccups, which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have broken ribs. It hurts! Now I know what you mean about "Stinging"! Hic: OUCH!
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke King View Post
Another strong review.

The Stinging Tree
"Spelling and punctuation are terrible." - Keith Hague
I'll admit, I'm intrigued by your willingness to embrace reviews that hate your work I'm out nothing if I download it, so I did... I'll let you know when I take a peak at it.

I am curious though, if a traditional publisher said it "showed promise", have you thought about having it professionally edited and then releasing it yourself? Offer it on Smashwords, but charge for it?
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote