Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Device: DXG, PRS-350
Are you happy with your Boox's screen?

Hello guys,
I finally bought Boox after waiting for so long. The first unit I received had screen issues when exposed to the sun. Old story and I just immediately sent the unit for replacement.
I got the replacement and started reading. I read in a shade, in my office, at home, outside under the sun, with refresh ON/OFF but I didnt find the comfort of reading I was expecting from Boox. The screen is very grey. I didnt expect it to be white but I didnt expect it to be that grey either. Also it has quite a bit of glare. Even the Nook I tested a month ago had whiter, brighter screen I think. So now I am just thinking of selling the unit and getting Kindle 3, Sony or others with better screens. I guess screen contrast is mostly hardware issue and software update will unlikely make it better. I have the latest update BTW.
So is it just me? Or may be somebody else has the same thoughts. Thanks a lot for your input.
pashlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I actually like that the screen is grey - my vision goes double fairly quickly after reading something on a white background. Mine also has the problem in the sun, but I didn't discover it until I had it for a while so I have too many books on it to want to send it back and wait for a new one. The problem I really have is that the fonts are not black - they are dark grey and this makes the contrast seem poor. I compensate by making the fonts larger, but for a typical book this means 175% - 225% which doesn't leave many words on a page.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
pashlit
Zealot
pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.pashlit is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I actually like that the screen is grey - my vision goes double fairly quickly after reading something on a white background. Mine also has the problem in the sun, but I didn't discover it until I had it for a while so I have too many books on it to want to send it back and wait for a new one. The problem I really have is that the fonts are not black - they are dark grey and this makes the contrast seem poor. I compensate by making the fonts larger, but for a typical book this means 175% - 225% which doesn't leave many words on a page.
175-225??? Thats like couple of letters on the screen If anybody could provide a link with different screens side by side it would be great. I ve never tried Kindle but they claim their new screen is very bright. I love the Boox but I dont like Boox's screen
Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I have the Boox a couple of months now and usually I don't have problems with the screen. But under low lighting conditions the screen is indeed too gray and the contrast too low. But in sunshine or with a lamp shining on it it is OK for me.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
I have the Boox a couple of months now and usually I don't have problems with the screen. But under low lighting conditions the screen is indeed too gray and the contrast too low. But in sunshine or with a lamp shining on it it is OK for me.
Didnt you notice that glare on Boox is quite unpleasant? May be its just newer Wacom screens... The first Boox I received had sun issues but had less glare than the one I got as replacement. I naturally can see myself when looking at the screen. Its like looking in the mirror May be its just me but It makes my reading soooo uncomfortable. I had Nook and other device before and they didnt have so much glare as new Boox. Its a bit better under the table light but outside it bothers me tremendously. If Mr. Dulling surfes through this thread may be he could explain if newer Wacom screens have more glare indeed. I was so anxious to get Boox but now I get more and more disappointed. Such a great device with quite poor screen. Thank you.
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I have the Boox already for almost half a year. It doesn't have glare. Only when you are reading in sunlight or with a lamp behind you and you have the Boox at the angle where the light reflects directly to you eyes you can't read. With all other angles there is no problem.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietvo View Post
I have the Boox already for almost half a year. It doesn't have glare. Only when you are reading in sunlight or with a lamp behind you and you have the Boox at the angle where the light reflects directly to you eyes you can't read. With all other angles there is no problem.
I agree- it's just a question of angle, and it happens with other readers too. I do have the problem with the sunlight, but I'm waiting a bit. I have two years of European warranty to use I find it quite good, as a screen.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
I agree- it's just a question of angle, and it happens with other readers too. I do have the problem with the sunlight, but I'm waiting a bit. I have two years of European warranty to use I find it quite good, as a screen.
I see you also have Kindle DX Graphite. Is the screen better then the Boox's one? Cause I am going to buy bigger ereader but never saw how new Amazon pearl screen look like.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Yes, it is it's a lot more black-and-white. Graphite is a good color for an ereader, it enhances the blacks, btw.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Yes, it is it's a lot more black-and-white. Graphite is a good color for an ereader, it enhances the blacks, btw.
OK, thank you. I will either sell the Boox or give it to my wife and buy DX I guess. Boox is real great. I loved everything about it except the screen. After sitting the whole day by PC I can notice even the smallest glare on the screen. I think newer Boox's screens has more glare, cause I was sent older device first that I had to return due to sun issues. But that first device was actually quite good glare-wise and a bit whiter. I dunno whats going on with Wacom screens but they obviously changed something. They might ve fixed sun issue but they also added more glare. Sorry for confusion, but I am just telling about my experience in case smbody will run in the same issues.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Wacom touch doesn't affect the visibility of the display at all. the digitzer portion that interacts with the stylus is under the e-ink display. They havent, as far as i have been told, changed anything with the display that should add glare.

The whiteness or grayness of the background has much to do with the "waveform" they are using to drive the display. its something they continue to work with to improve, along with the blackness of the text.

i will inquire about the glare you are experiencing.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
Wacom touch doesn't affect the visibility of the display at all. the digitzer portion that interacts with the stylus is under the e-ink display. They havent, as far as i have been told, changed anything with the display that should add glare.

The whiteness or grayness of the background has much to do with the "waveform" they are using to drive the display. its something they continue to work with to improve, along with the blackness of the text.

i will inquire about the glare you are experiencing.
Thanks a lot mr. Dullin. Besides the glare the new Boox I received was also not good under the sun. The text either shades or becomes so light grey that it almost blends with the background. Contrast becomes very week. I showed it to my wife and she also confirmed that under daylight it looks very bad. Grey background with grey text make it very uncomfortable to read. I even rushed to BN store just to compare Nook and Boox. They have the same greyish screen but once exposed to the sun Boox becomes very unreadable. I can make a couple of shots of Boox to show you what I really mean. As I said its a great device and I want to keep it but if I cant use it outside I have no use for it at all. I guess its still a very raw product and needs lots of improvement.
Thanks again and happy reading.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #13
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
No- the fading in sunlight is a defect in the production of the eink display from PVI. You should return it for replacement under warranty.

You mentioned in your first post this being a replacement- it should never happen that you get one with the same defect. Not only were they supposed to be removed from everyone's inventory, every one that goes out as a replacement should be triple checked.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
No- the fading in sunlight is a defect in the production of the eink display from PVI. You should return it for replacement under warranty.

You mentioned in your first post this being a replacement- it should never happen that you get one with the same defect. Not only were they supposed to be removed from everyone's inventory, every one that goes out as a replacement should be triple checked.
From what I gather, the defective screens when in direct sunlight were made by LG.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
pashlit
Zealot

Quote:

OMG, I really dont know what I should do. I bought the device from .... from trusted Onyx source. First device was a complete mess. They just sold me old (and even used) device as I figured it out very quickly. Replacement was received and immediately I experienced problems. I took it outside, sat on a bench, opened up a book...and boom.... This time text didnt fade completely. It just became very very light grey. Like old book... So I am very confused now. As I said numerous times I loved the device and I am not the one who usually gives problems to people. Its actually the first gadget I ever returned in my life. I will be very glad to buy device from you, but I dont want to run into the same problems.