Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM   #1
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
UGH....Battery...... PP..... MMMM?

I have read most of the threads on batteries for the PP and most other devices on MR.

I only charged my PP for 4 hours the day I received it and it lasted a week until it lost a bar.... SO, I decided to top it up as I do the other readers that I own....and .... to my surprise after a day it fell by one bar from Full..... mmmm

Should I do the 12 hour charge? Should I have to do the 12 hour charge every time or only the first three times? The first time I only did 4 hours and it worked ....... me thinks....

anyways.... The charge-====== Ligtning bolt is on so I know it is charging....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I have read most of the threads on batteries for the PP and most other devices on MR.

I only charged my PP for 4 hours the day I received it and it lasted a week until it lost a bar.... SO, I decided to top it up as I do the other readers that I own....and .... to my surprise after a day it fell by one bar from Full..... mmmm

Should I do the 12 hour charge? Should I have to do the 12 hour charge every time or only the first three times? The first time I only did 4 hours and it worked ....... me thinks....

One thing that you should probably consider is that the smart battery chip inside the battery calibrates itself as you use it. You need to go down very near full discharge at least once so that the smart battery chip knows where empty actually is.
This is just a wild guess, but the smart battery chip may now be telling you how far you are from the charge state where you started the top up from????????? As far as the charge time goes, you only really need to charge as long as it takes to reach full charge.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #3
bdp
Lost in WNC
bdp began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader
From my limited experience, I would charge overnight (12+ hours) for the first three charges and resume regular charging after that. The battery life after my first 12+ hour charge seemed a little short. But the second 12+ hour charge has lasted several days.
bdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
I first charged my 6' EZ reader overnight and it is a week now of continuous reading and my battery symbol on the screen is still fully charged...
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
The gauge needs to learn the battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post

Here are my recommendations:

1. Do NOT expect a battery charge life indicator to be like a gas gauge on your car. They are a rough guide only. They are not an exact status indicator.
2. It is good that you are looking for the lightning bolt but you should also see a falshing red/orange light if the battery is being charged.
3. By charging only 4 hours the first time, you have established to the gauge where the full mark is. Think of a gas tank with a big dent in it. It will read higher than it is. That first initial charge needs to be 8-12 hours so the gauge can "learn" from the battery where "full" really is.
4. Look at the latest FAQ sheet for full charging instructions and what you should see. You need to see the lightning bolt and the flashing red/orange light. Make sure your USB cable is fully into the Pocket PRO. It can sometimes not bottom out fully.
5. Make sure you have the latest firmware upgrade. One of the good things that latest upgrade did was to increase the battery charge life.
6. After you know it is charging and you let it charge 8-12 hours, then do not recharge this one time until it is near the last bar towards empty. After that charge when it gets a little below 1/2 down.
7. If all else fails email tech support at: support@astak.com
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #6
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Here are my recommendations:

2. It is good that you are looking for the lightning bolt but you should also see a falshing red/orange light if the battery is being charged.
3. By charging only 4 hours the first time, you have established to the gauge where the full mark is. Think of a gas tank with a big dent in it. It will read higher than it is. That first initial charge needs to be 8-12 hours so the gauge can "learn" from the battery where "full" really is.
What I'm not clear on is, do you charge it for 8-12 hours, or do you charge it until the lightning bolt and flashing red/orange light go out? On mine, it only took about 6 hours for the latter the first time, and during those 6 hours I was using it somewhat. Would charging it again for 8-12 hours fix any possible problems with undercharging it? I've already recharged it once (after it went down to 2 bars), about 5 days after getting it, but at least some of that might have been experimenting with formatting, which involved removing and reinserting the SD card a lot; as well as a lot of going back and forth between font sizes 1 and 5, and scanning ahead (read: page turns) to see how soon before an end of chapter or another good break.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post
What I'm not clear on is, do you charge it for 8-12 hours, or do you charge it until the lightning bolt and flashing red/orange light go out? On mine, it only took about 6 hours for the latter the first time, and during those 6 hours I was using it somewhat. Would charging it again for 8-12 hours fix any possible problems with undercharging it? I've already recharged it once (after it went down to 2 bars), about 5 days after getting it, but at least some of that might have been experimenting with formatting, which involved removing and reinserting the SD card a lot; as well as a lot of going back and forth between font sizes 1 and 5, and scanning ahead (read: page turns) to see how soon before an end of chapter or another good break.
Well not sure if it would fix, but the batteries in the PP (and same with your mobile phone etc) take 2-3 (sometimes 4-5) charge/discharge cycles for the battery to calibrate and (as best) accurately determine when it is full/empty.

Robert is correct, the gauge is only a rough guide. Heck when I got my PP my first bar lasted a good couple of weeks, but the remaining 3 bars dropped down in a few days. It did take a few charge cycles but now each bar lasts about the same number of page turns - BUT IT IS A ROUGH GUIDE.

I would do a 8-12 hour charge and use it until it runs right down (if you use the latest firmware it actually prompts you to say the battery is low and needs charging), and do that 2-3 times.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:44 PM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
OK... Cheers everyone for the tips.. Will try the 8-12 charge and let it drain till it hits the battery prompt and recharge again 8-12 hours a few times.......

hopefully the battery chip will be happier then..........
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote