Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #31
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
One of the funniest books I've read was Oyster Blues by Michael McClelland. Last I looked it was only available in MobiPocket but is a giggle. His follow on book (Tattoo Blues) wasn't quite as good and, as far as I know, that's all he wrote
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #32
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Wow! Dave Langford of 'Ansible' fame; excellent - he's a hero of mine, and I'll definitely be getting this when it's CyBook friendly - thanks for the heads-up Neil!!***

The same, Sparrow. And John Grant's quite an operator, too. We'll have other formats available soon (sadly with a price tag), but if you want to give the PDF a try for free, just holler. It's DRM free and will convert. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #33
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Pretty much any book by Harlan Coben will make you laugh, despite them being crime/thriller stories. Especially his Myron Bolitar series - cracks me up all the time!
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #34
Artleknock
Artleknock began at the beginning.

Device: Sony P600
Not a mention yet of Spike Milligan, particularly his book Puckoon.
He might not suite the Merkins humor
Artleknock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #35
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
The same, Sparrow. And John Grant's quite an operator, too. We'll have other formats available soon (sadly with a price tag), but if you want to give the PDF a try for free, just holler. It's DRM free and will convert. Cheers. Neil
Thanks for the generous offer Neil; but I'd actually prefer to pay for it.
And my tbr pile might diminish somewhat in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artleknock View Post
Not a mention yet of Spike Milligan, particularly his book Puckoon.
He might not suite the Merkins humor
I often think Milligan was heavily influenced by zany US comedy like the Marx Bros, and the Hellzapoppin' film.

Last edited by Sparrow; 12-20-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #36
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_au View Post
Anyone growing up in the UK or Australia(not sure about the US) during the late 1980's will remember the hilarious narration of a troubled teenager by the name of Adrian Mole.
If you like Adrian Mole you might also enjoy the Spud series by John van de Ruit . It's similar to the Adrian Mole series, following the adventures of Spud Milton as he grows up and goes to a private school. It's set in South Africa during the dying days of apartheid.

I've read all three books and they were pretty good - definitely some laughs in there.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #37
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Humor is a strangely subjective thing. I can sit through a whole Pratchett novel or a Wodehouse story without even twitching my mouth. I'm far from thick-headed and can appreciate their storytelling devices and humor techniques, but my reaction to them is almost academic, as the humor does not resonate with me very often. The last time I laughed at a Pratchett novel was when I was imagining Detritus in the freeze.

Some idiosyncratic humor does resonate with me though. The absurdities in some of the Jasper Fforde Thursday Next stories got a reaction out of me when a similar technique employed in Discworld would have failed, as the Fforde stories strike a certain geeky chord that Discworld misses a little bit. Not Pratchett's fault, but I'm simply not sympathetic enough to his world and characters to internalize his humor and let it move me.

To really enjoy humor, the characters or story or situation or something have to have some kind of empathic link to the reader. It's not simply a quality that "good writers have and bad writers don't", it's a highly personal thing.

I've found the snarky comments in the later Dresden Files books (after book 4) quite humorous, though not something I'd turn into a cult worship thing. I also really laughed hard at the audacity and political incorrectness in some of Christopher Moore's books, though the stories I've read from him mellow out a little bit around the climax and ending.

Some people laugh at veiled but biting satire, while others prefer being smacked in the face with an (cover the children's eyes please)
Spoiler:
oversized strap-on comedyldo
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #38
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
There are two series that I thought were very funny:

- The Myth Adventure Series by Robert Asprin. A great series that pokes a great deal of fun at the whole sword and sorcery genre. There was one scene in the first book that I had to struggle to not laugh.

- A Series Of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Although the events of the series should not be humorous (but are very unfortunate), Snicket's writing style makes the humor shine through.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:47 AM   #39
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I forgot to mention "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland" by Diana Wynne Jones. Laugh out loud funny. It is set up like a dictionary / encyclopedia and pokes fun at fantasy tropes. As a fantasy lover, I loved it.

Humour is very culturally subjective, so it's really hard to find something that will appeal to everyone. Aristophanes (greek comedy), for example, I sometimes find hilarious, and sometimes I have no idea what he is talking about. My husband finds "Ante Tomić", a Croatian writer of humourous novels, laugh-out-loud funny, but I have a suspicion that people not from central or eastern Europe wouldn't get his humour. (I'm not sure if any of his stuff has been translated.)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #40
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
@LDBoblo; you sound like you would enjoy the more underplayed humour of for example Robertson Davies or David Lodge. Very different authors, but they both have a 'light hand' with humour.

Humour really is very subjective culturally. For example the Scandinavian humour tend to be rather dark, ironic and absurd. It'd whoosh beside the head of typical American humour which is much more direct, obvious and in-your-face in comparison.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #41
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I recently discovered Mil Millington thanks to this forum - particularly "Things my Girlfriend and I have Argued About"...the conversation between the protagonist and his girlfriend are priceless.

Also, Bill Bryson's travel books are always good for a chuckle for me.

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #42
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Top of my list would be:

The Great American Novel by Philip Roth

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov (Also my favorite book of all time)
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 PM   #43
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you read any P.G. Wodehouse? He is an EXTREMELY funny author.
Hopefully his Jeeves stories are funnier than the only one I've read so far, Damsel in Distress-couldn't finish that one. Still have the Jeeves books on my to-be-read list, I don't generally give up on a well-recommended author just because the 1st book I happen to pick up isn't to my liking, but it does delay my getting into the rest.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #44
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
Hopefully his Jeeves stories are funnier than the only one I've read so far, Damsel in Distress-couldn't finish that one. Still have the Jeeves books on my to-be-read list, I don't generally give up on a well-recommended author just because the 1st book I happen to pick up isn't to my liking, but it does delay my getting into the rest.
I think the Blanding books are better than the Jeeves and Woster ones. I can also recommend the golf story collection.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:00 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I tried to read Three Men in a Boat but I found I did not find it all that funny. So yes, humor is a very subjective thing.

Take Discworld for example. It helps to have read a lot of fantasy books so you can understand some of the jokes. Some of it is very subtle and some of it is hit-you-on-the-head. But I do find it funny and do laugh. Oh and some of the humor is very British. So it helps to like British humor as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, funny, humor